Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Advice please with BT sync difficulties

(1/5) > >>

terryc:
Hi  - new to the forum so I hope I can ask for some help.

I have BT Option3 which until the beginning of December synced reliably at between 6 & 7Mb since installed nearly 2 years ago.  (BT Wholesale confirm that my line will support between 6.5 and 7Mb.) It then dropped overnight to 5120 and is now 4544. I left it to see if it would increase but it didn't. Last week I embarked on a long and tortuous journey with BT broadband helpdesk which to date has not resolved the problem but I'm slightly confused by their response and approach. 

BT have done a number of line tests and sent someone to the local exchange who claimed to have found a fault (no-one has visited my home.) and say the line is good.  I have run BT speedtester with the router connected directly to the test point - I have an ADSL faceplate - and there is no noticeable change in speed although it occasionally creeps up to 4736 downstream.  Today (6AM) the BT speedtester still confirms the IP profile as 4000 Kbps, downstream 4544Kbps, upstream 448Kbps - but here's the bit I don't understand BT say they have increased the bRAS profile to 6000Kbps and the problem is fixed when clearly it isn't.  Am I right in thinking that they can't have increased the bRAs profile to 6Mb when I'm only syncing at 4544? Or have I got this (probably!)wrong?

My router (Netgear DG834G V2) is fully up to date with firmware and the current downstream line stats show
Speed 4544 Kbps; Attn 45db; SNR varies between 11 & 14db  (it used to be 6.0 when all was well and  Attn has always been 45dB)

I'm at a loss as to what to do next; is this potentially a line fault that isn't showing up and which is dropping the line rate?

I would add that at no time when BT has claimed to have found a fault, done any testing or increased the bRAS has the router shown any disconnections or loss of sync.

Any thoughts really appreciated.

Many thanks

Terry

graevine1:
Well youve just said it NEARLY all. with your quote "at no time when BT has claimed to have found a fault, done any testing or increased the bRAS has the router shown any disconnections or loss of sync". Its all the BT speak that I was taught many years ago, just con the customer in any way you can, ---- if you expect the truth or any true understanding dont expect to get it from BT. I really would suggest you set up router stats 2.8h a free program and just leave it running to store all the facts, my eyes have been opened wide as I now have a saved record of the line stats and you can set it to record every second if you wish but I have found every 20 seconds sufficient. Also set it to set up a separate recorded file of tests for each day then you have the evidence ON RECORD of line, noise TX/RX CRC FEC, HEC etc
Good luck but my advice is dump any contract with BT and look for a contract that is one to three months max duration. Look out for an upgrade of your netgear router software in the next few weeks as they have found a patch to be necessary for conditions caused by their lines becoming even more crappy.

terryc:
@graevine1 - many thanks for your reply. I do run routerstats but not to get the errors etc but to monitor SNR and speed; hence how I know that there haven't been any changes/disconnections/loss of sync.  What I really want to clear up though is if BT are lying when they say they have increased the bRAS to 6000kbps when I can only sync at 4452kbps and which I assume is impossible.  (Apologies to those reading this who are more familiar with the principles of ADSL than I clearly am!

roseway:
If we can calm down a bit and look at the facts: you have an attenuation of 45 dB, which means that you shouldn't be too surprised with your present connection speed. If you were getting over 6 Mbps before you were doing very well indeed, and it may be the case that all that's happened is that interference conditions in your area have worsened recently. I don't know why you were told that BT had set the BRAS profile to 6000 kbps, because this is set by the DLM process which sets it according to your connection speed. Even if it were manually set to a higher value, the DLM process would soon adjust it back again.

It appears that your target noise margin has been raised to 12 dB, presumably as a result of the earlier period of instability. This will cause your connection speed to be lower than it would be with the default 6 dB. If your line is now stable, the target noise margin should come down again in stages over a period of several weeks, which should get your connection speed up to about 5500 kbps or a bit more, a reasonable result for your level of attenuation. If you're sure that it's stable you can ask BT to set it back to 6 dB manually, but it may require quite a bit of persuasion.

PS Welcome to the forum terryc :)

MikeS:

My ISP tells me that I am likely to lose about 700kbps from sync speed for every 3dB increase in noise margin, so I guess your sync speed will be reduced by about 1400kbps due to your increased noise margin. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version