Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Getting extra DSL stats from TP-Link modem/routers  (Read 162000 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Re: Getting extra DSL stats from TP-Link modem/routers
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2017, 11:14:29 AM »

@ fergie how did it work with DSLstats with TP LINK VR2800? As I did try it with TP LINK VR2600 but it doesn't work when I put TP LINK as VDSL Router mode on. Very odd. Maybe VR2800 got broadcom chipset than VR2600?

fergie

• Just arrived
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2017, 12:16:24 AM »

Just followed the above posts from Dink / siofjofj and it just worked.

Yes, the VR2800 has the Broadcom BCM63138 chipset:

Code: [Select]
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 398.13

processor       : 1
BogoMIPS        : 398.13

Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x4
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 1

Hardware        : BCM963138
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

I guess maybe doesn't work for the VR2600's BCM63268?

fosseperme

« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »

not work on VR2800v (German Version)....the chipset xdsl is BCM63136v. I copied the content of the file with RouterPassview, save it in xml with notepad++ (with string telnetd added) and reconverted in bin with statposter (i tried all models). The webgui says file too large (about 100KB vs 10KB of the original bin).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:38:05 PM by fosseperme »

BM

• Just arrived
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »

Apologies for resurrecting this oldish thread. I've been following the instructions for my VR600. I've downloaded the current config, used RouterPassView to decode, added the telnet line

Code: [Select]
    <DeviceInfo>
      <ManufacturerOUI val=xxxx />
      <SerialNumber val=xxxxx />
      <HardwareVersion val="Archer VR600 v1 00000000" />
      <SoftwareVersion val="0.2.0 0.9.1 v0057.0 Build 160614 Rel.41735n" />
      <UpTime val=12 />
      <X_TP_IsFD val=3 />
      <Description val="http://www.tp-link.com`telnetd -p 1023 -l login`" />
    </DeviceInfo>

Used StatPOSTer-test3 and StatPOSTer-20160306 to create a new file with TD-W9970 option (not the V1)

2018.09.29 14:18:44 config encrypt: wrote C:\Users\Paul\Downloads\confnew.bin
16 byte MD5 checksum B85710EF75E1542FB5BE1CD23045228A
38923 bytes of data
5 bytes zero padding

When I try to restore the config I get 4501 error - Wrong file

The confnew.bin file decodes correctly in RouterPassView, but there are blank/space lines e.g.

<DeviceInfo>

<ManufacturerOUI val=xxxx />

<SerialNumber val=xxxx />

<HardwareVersion val="Archer VR600 v1 00000000" />

<SoftwareVersion val="0.2.0 0.9.1 v0057.0 Build 160614 Rel.41735n" />

<UpTime val=12 />

<X_TP_IsFD val=3 />

<Description val="http://www.tp-link.com`telnetd -p 1023 -l login`" />

</DeviceInfo>

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

BM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2018, 03:24:20 PM »

Try the other program which can do the compression properly:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17108.msg368999.html#msg368999

Throwing the TP-Link in the trash and getting another router would be a preferable option.

BM

• Just arrived
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2018, 04:41:33 PM »

Thank ejs,

I've had to install the VR600 because my Billion 8800NL R2 with most recent firmware 2.52.d10 installed in Mar 2018 which has been rock solid has restarted 4 times over the last 5 days - 3 of the restarts occurred within a 1 hour period on Friday afternoon. Billion Support are aware and there is a patch being tested by other customers, but in the meantime I need a stable connection.

On a slightly different tack, the 8800NL R2 is a little dated. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced replacement? I'm on Huawei cabinet about 560 metre away (straight line) from the property.

Thanks

Paul

Postal

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »

Sorry for bumping an old thread.  Due to the death of my Billion 8800NL I picked up a VR900 V3(EU) on Monday which has the restricted Telnet capability (although I did not realise that until I got the box home and connected the router).  Being a bit huffed because I had lost the capability to run router-monitoring software like RouterStats or DSLStats, I did a bit of ferreting round the internet until I found this thread.  Finding it has made an old man happy.  Thanks to the StatPOSTer tool from ejs and the Janet-and-John explanation from Dink, I have managed to create an edited .bin file which re-loaded successfully so that I now have DSLStats up and running.

One minor glitch which may have been due to en error on my part at some stage in the process; when the new .bin file was loaded and the router re-booted itself the IPV6 network connection was disabled and I had to manually re-enable it.  Apart from that everything seems hunky-dory so far.

Big shout out to ejs, Dink and all of the others who have made their contributions to this topic for helping the rest of us to get proper stats down from the router rather than only the bits that TP-Link want us to see.  Please take this post as confirmation that the solution works for the VR900 V3 (aka AC1900 or C9) as well as for the other routers verified further up the topic.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Thank you for taking to the time to report your success. I sure the members involved will appreciate your accolade.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gigio68

• Just arrived
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2019, 12:34:10 AM »

Hi All, Sorry to be late for the "party"  ;D

I have recently purchased a TP-Link TD-W9970 v3, which I use as a VDSL2 modem, while using Google mesh for the wifi in the house.
I am pretty happy with the stability of the TP-Link, compared to a "dog" Asus which I am sending back to the ISP.

However, to get more evidence and attempt to remove a cap to the speed that it seems I have (DL speed seems to have been put to 60Mbps, while I could reach 78Mbps max rate with previous supplier).

The TP-Link router has limited CLI capability and I have realised, following several of the useful posts in this forum, that I could remove this limitation, quite easily.
I have therefore installed the python script described here https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14377.msg357441.html#msg357441, added the extra line <Description val="Modem Router`telnetd -p 1023 -l login`" /> as suggested, created config.bin file from the modified xml file, using the python script, and added the newly created config.bin to the router.

The restore process was successful, until a message 403 forbidden appeared and I had to reboot the router.

Luckily the router is still functioning, however the modification was not accepted, so the extra line included to the xml file is not there anymore (if I go through the process of decrypting the bin file again)

What am I doing wrong? Has anyone managed to flash the v3 of this router?

Thanks
Giuseppe 

gigio68

• Just arrived
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »

I have actually made it work.....
  • I downloaded the gpl code of the TD-W9970 v3 from https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/gpl-code/
  • I took a look at the reduced_dat_model.xml file within the configuration of that code
  • I modified the formatting of the xml (decrypted by the python script) following the same formatting of the previous file
  • I included         <Description val="http://www.tp-link.com`telnetd -p 1023 -l login`" /> right at the top

Not sure which one of the above did it, but, after I re-encrypted the modified xml file and loaded the bin into the web-interface of the router, I did not get the 403 message and I got DSLstats working

The userid and password, though, have not changed from what I had previously in my router. And I managed to keep all port forwarding and all other settings.
Next step is to get familiarised with the "overwhelming" tool.... :no:

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2020, 12:06:40 PM »

Sorry for reviving old post, but I have a problem with StatPOSTer which is not creating the encrypted config.bin file after I choose the .xml file and the new file name which is conf.bin nothing changed after I press ok and no "new" conf.bin is created I tried all the router modes "beside decrypt encrypt" but nothing changed,, am I using it wrong?

This is for TP-link archer vr400.

foxtrot_yankee

« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2020, 03:37:52 PM »

Struggling to get this working with my VR2800...

I've managed to decrypt the conf.bin, add the telnetd line to the xml, then encrypt it again with tpconf_bin_xml.py

The config looks correct in the new bin on RouterPassView

The new filesize is only 1KB more than the original bin (9KB)

But I still get an Error Code: 4501 message

Any help most appreciated!

unc0der

• Just arrived
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2020, 05:32:00 AM »

Just wanted to say thanks to @Dink & @siofjofj for their detailed explanation. I got it working on my VR600 V2.

Just one more thing, is it normal that line attenuation differs from the web version?

p.s. I know I need to change my cable, it's pretty bad.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2020, 07:41:30 AM »

Just one more thing, is it normal that line attenuation differs from the web version?

I'd say the DSL Stats version is about right given your line speeds. Upstream usually shows as zero in my experience, but it is odd that your upstream SNR margin is so high - especially so as G.INP is running there too.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2020, 11:24:26 AM »

I got it working on my VR600 V2.

Welcome to the forum  :)

Did you use StatPOSTer to encrypt the .xml file into .bin? I am using the VR400 V2 and tried this step on two computers and StatPOSTer did not create any .bin file on both of them, so if you could tell me which Windows version you are using or anything that can help me..

For your line attenuation, I believe that web version is more correct as if you look to DSLstats upstream attenuation is 0db which can not be true even the 27.9db attenuation might be not accurate I guess it would lead to lower attainable/sync. speed.. BUT in general VDSL signal is divided into bands and each band has its own attenuation so somehow routers shows something like average attenuation between bands for download and upload.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8