Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: upgrade router?  (Read 7007 times)

bigbossa

upgrade router?
« on: September 05, 2014, 04:33:27 PM »

Hi all
After my TP-Link TD_W8961ND router decide to die, I fished out an old Netgear DG834G V3 that I have.
I'm thinking do I need to go out and buy an up-to-date router ?
My PC is wired and very rarely do I use wireless in the house , I'm 3 miles from the exchange and get about 3000 kbps download speed approx , my connection speed is 3584 kbps (TalkTalk LLU).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: upgrade router?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 04:52:51 PM »

The DG834G V3 wasn't a bad router, but it may not last long (or it might last 10 years). You might squeeze a little more speed out of a newer model, but I doubt it will be a life-changing difference. However, if you're on TalkTalk LLU I presume you have an ADSL2+ connection. Some other TT users with longer lines have found that forcing the connection mode to ADSL2 makes the connection more stable and a bit faster. I'm not sure if you can do that with the DG834G V3, but it would be worth trying if you can.
  Eric

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 04:57:23 PM »

You don't say if the "3 Miles" = 4.8 km  is direct or length of cable, but your 3.6 Mb/sec sounds reasonable. see http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/guides/adsl_and_distance.aspx
You might push it a bit but that could owe more to a filtered faceplate (if you haven't already got one) than a new router.

Personally I wouldn't rush out and get a new one; if it does look beneficial you have nearly 4 months to drop hints before Christmas !!

bigbossa

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:10:29 PM »

The DG834G V3 wasn't a bad router, but it may not last long (or it might last 10 years). You might squeeze a little more speed out of a newer model, but I doubt it will be a life-changing difference. However, if you're on TalkTalk LLU I presume you have an ADSL2+ connection. Some other TT users with longer lines have found that forcing the connection mode to ADSL2 makes the connection more stable and a bit faster. I'm not sure if you can do that with the DG834G V3, but it would be worth trying if you can.
Hi Roseway thanks for your reply ...there is a option for ADSL2+ in the ADSL settings . would I just change that and apply ? any speed improvement albeit small is a bonus :)

EDIT: just discovered via Samknows I'm not not ADSL2+ only ADSL Max
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:24:16 PM by bigbossa »

bigbossa

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:17:36 PM »

You don't say if the "3 Miles" = 4.8 km  is direct or length of cable, but your 3.6 Mb/sec sounds reasonable. see http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/guides/adsl_and_distance.aspx
You might push it a bit but that could owe more to a filtered faceplate (if you haven't already got one) than a new router.

Personally I wouldn't rush out and get a new one; if it does look beneficial you have nearly 4 months to drop hints before Christmas !!
Hiya thanks for your reply ,3.69km from the exchange (Samknows) and not ADSL2+ only ADSL Max. Yep I do have a filtered face plate and direct into it.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 05:24:02 PM by bigbossa »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »

If youre on TT LLU, then it should be adsl2+.  It will only be the non-LLU isps that are stuck with adsl max.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »

Agreeing with Kitz' last statement and adding a comment that with such a total line length (E- + D-side) as your own, it would be best to configure any modem/router to use ADSL2 mode (not ADSL2+ nor G.Dmt).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bigbossa

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »

Agreeing with Kitz' last statement and adding a comment that with such a total line length (E- + D-side) as your own, it would be best to configure any modem/router to use ADSL2 mode (not ADSL2+ nor G.Dmt).

Hi burakkucat
Tha Netgear seems to have these options :

Auto (Multi-moe)
ADSL(G-DMT)
ADSL2+

Seems to only connect with ADSL2+ now (I rushed to change it ADSL2+ earlier  ;) ) speed has increased a tiny bit to 3178kbps  :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:38:46 PM by bigbossa »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »

Auto (Multi-moe)
ADSL(G-DMT)
ADSL2+

Ah, yes. Now that you have mentioned it I do recall those options from my Netgear DG834Gv5 . . . And thinking about it, that was one of the reasons why I stopped using my v5.

The best setting for you to use will therefore be Auto (Multi-mode).

bigbossa

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »

Auto (Multi-moe)
ADSL(G-DMT)
ADSL2+

Ah, yes. Now that you have mentioned it I do recall those options from my Netgear DG834Gv5 . . . And thinking about it, that was one of the reasons why I stopped using my v5. The best setting for you to use will therefore be Auto (Multi-mode).

Tried to set it to that and now wont connect will only connect with ADSL2+

EDIT: ok its started to connect again using multi mode ...you think thats the best option?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:43:03 PM by bigbossa »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »

Tried to set it to that and now wont connect will only connect with ADSL2+

I suspect that the TalkTalk MSAN is being a little bit stubborn, as Auto (Multi-mode) is just letting the modem/router decide which mode to use (out of G.Dmt and ADSL2+).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 07:46:57 PM »

EDIT: ok its started to connect again using multi mode ...you think thats the best option?

Yes. Essentially you are telling the modem/router to choose the modulation mode to give you the best overall performance.  :)

bigbossa

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 07:52:22 PM »

Yes. Essentially you are telling the modem/router to choose the modulation mode to give you the best overall performance.  :)

OK thats great! thanks for your advice ...BTW just fished out a Netgear DG834GT dont suppose thats any better is it ...I remember flash it with DGTeam firmware yonks ago

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »

BTW just fished out a Netgear DG834GT dont suppose thats any better is it ...I remember flash it with DGTeam firmware yonks ago

It could be. I suggest that you experiment with each device, one day at a time.

bigbossa

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »

BTW just fished out a Netgear DG834GT dont suppose thats any better is it ...I remember flash it with DGTeam firmware yonks ago

It could be. I suggest that you experiment with each device, one day at a time.

Ha Ha yeah will do thanks mate  :)

anything