Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2Wire 2700 HGV BT Business Hub PSU  (Read 2996 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
2Wire 2700 HGV BT Business Hub PSU
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »

Gentlefolk,

There's something new to discover every day !

Walter's Wheelbarrow made a fleeting visit to a property still struggling with ADSL.
My usual trick is to replace the modem with my 2700 HGV as that includes some quite good diagnostic data including a bit loading diagram.

I failed upon this occasion as the modem only produced a red power light and not a green one.
I hadn't time to investigate further but I suspect the PSU circuit actually uses the brass earth pin which, in this case, might not have been connected to earth.

I know this is now very old hat, but as there could be safety implications, I thought it worth mentioning.

Kind regards,
Walter

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: 2Wire 2700 HGV BT Business Hub PSU
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:22:30 PM »

I came upon the same problem.  The power LED illuminates in red instead of green colour and the router/modem will not initialise.  The problem is a faulty PSU.  I tried a spare 2WIRE PSU, which had no problem powering up the router.  I opened the faulty PSU carefully and found 3 x 1000μF 16V 105°C capacitors, which were domed.  I will replace them soon and see if this fixes the problem.
Regards,
Mick

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 03:12:57 PM »

I found time to replace the capacitors.  They were the cause of the fault.  Although they are rated at 105°C they overheat in the small PSU casing and eventually will fail.

I bought new capacitors of the same specification (Farnell, Maplins, RS Components, Amazon, et al. supply them) branded as Panasonic.  They were a couple of millimeters taller and wider, but there was enough space in the casing to fit them without snagging.  Check the physical dimensions of what you buy because some are thinner but taller and won't fit in the casing.

To open the casing I used a narrow spatula and a light hammer.  I placed the spatula in the groove between upper and lower casings and tapped with the hammer to break the glue.  The casing came apart easily once the glued joints were broken.  When you solder the capacitors match the markings on the board with the markings on the capacitor to make sure that the negative electrode is soldered on the correct side.  Also, if you buy the same Panasonic capacitors like I did make sure that they are soldered flush on the board so that they do not protrude in height.  This will ensure you will be able close the casing fully.  I glued the casing back on with UHU glue.

The 2WIRE router now gives a green LED and it boots fine.  One more electronic component saved from a landfill.  :-)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:46:16 PM by Mick »
Regards,
Mick

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:00:28 PM »

I found time to replace the capacitors.  They were the cause of the fault.

<snip>

The 2WIRE router now gives a green LED and it boots fine.  One more electronic component saved from a landfill.  :-)

Well done!  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:03:00 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »

Oops!  I meant to write "One more electronic component saved ..." and wrote one less - corrected before someone spots my bad grammar.  ;D
Regards,
Mick

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »

I see no bad grammar, thinks b*cat, as he considers his empty food bowl . . .  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »

Nice one Mick.  I wish I had some of your knowledge – I’ve binned an awful lot of equipment just because it didn’t work.