Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: My ZyXel VMG8324-B10A - my first impressions  (Read 33213 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: My ZyXel VMG8324-B10A - my first impressions
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »

Thats odd, I have 11C0 and this is the options I have.

Edit: Only thing I can think of to suggest is to use the Configuration menu option to completely reset the router.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:15:00 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2015, 10:26:27 AM »

Ronski may well be right, especially if you jumped over several earlier releases of f/w when you updated to 11C0.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

aruba

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »

Thanks for all your help and patience folks.

So, I've been having a go with the router this afternoon:

• Reset router via Configuration menu - no difference
  • Re-installed 11C0 - no difference
  • Installed 10C0_20150923 that was on the server with the 11C0 files - no difference
  • Installed 7C0 - no difference
  • Installed 5C0 which was the firmware on the router when it arrived - no difference
  • Hard reset router via button on back of router - no difference
  • Installed 4C0 (earliest final version on server) - configuration options appear like magic
  • Re-installed 5C0 - configuration options disappear again!
  • Re-installed 4C0 - configuration options re-appear.
  • Re-installed 11C0 - configuration options disappear again.

I'd prefer not to be running a router with old firmware, so any ideas how I get the options to remain after an upgrade?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2015, 04:35:26 PM »

That is certainly very strange, with 4CO installed try creating a new Admin user from the Maintenance: User Account option, making sure it set as an Administrator and see if logging in with that username makes any difference.

Just as a test I created a standard user account. These are the options I got, note there are 3 choices at the bottom, so clearly different to what you are getting.

I guess if that fails you'll have to contact ZyXel support, their first response will be to ask you to upgrade the firmware - this seems to be a standard reply, I've got this even after stating I'm using the latest version, and told them the version number!
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

aruba

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »

Thanks for the advice Ronski.

I re-installed 4C0, but didn't have the option to create a new user in the User Account section:

I also noticed that I didn't have the System option that was at the top of the list in your earlier screenshot:

Also, the Remote Management section had no ICMP option:

I've put 11C0 back on and will send an email off to Zyxel to see if they can offer any advice.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2015, 05:31:12 PM »

I’ve noticed with mine that sometimes it takes a couple of flashes to get everything working properly.  It also seems to matter which browser you use to flash/configure.  I use Chrome as recommended by kitz here   (when I remember).

HTH

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2015, 07:34:14 PM »

The solution is to 'Reset to Factory Defaults'.

This sort of problem is not uncommon on many pieces of kit, not just Zyxel
The solution is always to reset the settings to Factory Defaults.
Foe some reason the configuration data can get corrupted when firmware is flashed.
The corruption causes settings to be mangled and the code often cannot handle some of the data that has been set.
You get missing options or values that are not possible to enter via the GUI and lots of strange things.

The reset will overwrite all the data and start from a known state that should make sense.

Be aware that configurations saved from earlier versions of the firmware may not be considered valid formats in the later versions.
This is because options are changed and facilities as added/removed as the firmware evolves.
This means the configuration file format\content is changed.

aruba

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2015, 08:30:34 PM »

Thanks for your replies folks.  :cool:

@pooclah - The firmware upgrades were done via Chrome, and some of the updates were done a couple of times.

@AArdvark - I reset router via the Configuration menu after most firmware updates, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  :(

I've sent off the email to Zyxel, so fingers crossed...  :fingers:

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »

@AArdvark - I reset router via the Configuration menu after most firmware updates, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  :(

Not good .... almost like some sort of persistent memory corruption problem  ???

Be interested in what Zyxel say ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2015, 10:41:28 PM »

Its worthwhile trying a different browser, I know that even over a f/w update it sometimes still retains the old cache.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

aruba

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2015, 01:58:37 PM »

Apologises that I've taken so long to reply - it has taken a couple of days of emails to get a solution via Zyxel's support (who have been very good BTW).

@kitz - tried another firmware update with a 'clean browser' but still no joy.

To cut to the chase, the issue was similar to this post and required the 'ROM-D' to be erased, which Zyxel support said they didn't recommend.

The router was from Eclipse, and they must put in custom settings for their users.

Anyway, everything went ok (bar a few error messages via telnet), and if anyone needs to do it in the future the telnet commands (at your own risk) are:

Code: [Select]
save_default clean
restoredefault

I now have a full set of menu items, and want to thank everyone again for all your suggestions.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »

Glad you got it sorted  ;D

Handy command to 'clear all down' if the config gets 'stuck', so good to know.

TomC

• Just arrived
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »

I feel really stupid asking this, but which section is Remote Management and User Account under?  :-[

Here's the menu items I have available:

When my router was new (Apr 2016) it had the full set of Remote Management, User Account, TR069, TR064 etc. sitting above SNMP on the Maintenance tab. It worked really well & still does. However in mid Jan (2017) I noticed that everything to do with control over remote management access has disappeared, that and a few "odd" things happening to a variety of LAN side devices since late Nov (2016) lead me to suspect that it got hacked as part of the DDos attacks back in Nov/Dec ! My ISP (Eclipse) have referred me to ZyXel, who advised updating the firmware. Which I did (to 1.00(AAKL.15)C0) with no effect.
I've informed ZyXel & I'm waiting for their response, but right now a brand new router by someone else is looking very attractive. Which is a pity because the ZyXel is by FAR the best router I've ever had (from Apr to Oct it had only one loss of connection & runs the VDSL service at the full 80/20).

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »

Search around on here and see if you can find the stuff about the supervisor account, with that you should be able to recover things which have been hidden. Right now I dont have time to suggest more. I think it might be in http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,13930.0.html.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »

highpriest's post on this page - http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19186.30.htm shows you how to find the supervisor password.
Once logged in as supervisor you should be able to reassign the missing menus to the admin user.
If Eclipse were using TR069 then they may have upgraded the firmware remotely, which could changed what the admin user could see.
When I upgraded my 8924 from V15 to V16 it changed the admin view and I had to reassign what could be seen.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything