Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: another heavy crosstalk disturber on my FTTC  (Read 27280 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: another heavy crosstalk disturber on my FTTC
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 06:33:03 PM »

there is no cap, I am on the normal 6db margin (so the 4db is gone).

But I did have a fair amount of crc earlier so I will probably be DLM'd tomorrow, which I am not bothered about as it means when the engineers test the line they will see an even lower speed.

I would have left the sync alone at the 1.4db snrm if the errors weren't too high but I think I was actually getting bits of packet loss so were service affecting, at which point its counter productive.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:36:19 PM by Chrysalis »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »

mydslwebstats.

basically what happened is my line very briefly got its snr back, but it seems only for 1 minute. at 11.22am the attainable went up to 74.4mbit and snrm recovered, but at 11.23am it was back down again.

It might be worth looking at ALL the graphs rather than just a couple in isolation.

e.g. also have a look at FEC & CRC (OHFErr) as something looked a bit 'dodgy' at around that time.

The FULL__MONTY montage may be interesting to see.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »

If the FEC was also looking dodgy on the US then its possible someone was in the cabinet fiddling away and touched my wires, which briefly recovered the line suggesting I may have a lose connection in the cabinet (or joints if they were fiddling in a duct).  All speculative tho.  Wont know what the cause is unless an engineer decides to investigate properly.
Although I bet there is people who have seen these symptoms before and know what it is but they have to stay quiet.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »

If the FEC was also looking dodgy on the US then its possible someone was in the cabinet fiddling away and touched my wires, which briefly recovered the line suggesting I may have a lose connection in the cabinet (or joints if they were fiddling in a duct).  All speculative tho. 

That's more or less my line of thought at the moment too.

Have you detected any timing patterns to this over the last few days?

It has become quite a bit cooler recently.
Could it possibly coincide with you or someone else nearby switching on/off central heating etc?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »

and they kept it on solid for last 2 days? its quite hot here today.

by the way my attainable just gone down another 3mbit now, so now 55mbit, snrm down to 5.4db.

looks like a ton more crc errors as well. just seen a 1700 delta in the gui (delta is just for one minute) and the total with 3 hours 39 mins uptime is already 13k.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:09:09 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »

Those SES and CRC errors for a three hour period don't look to healthy to me  :no:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »

turned everything off near the modem.

Problem is by the time someone looks at this it may have calmed down or be interleaved so they may not see all the CRC accumulating.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 10:40:42 PM »

Problem is by the time someone looks at this it may have calmed down or be interleaved so they may not see all the CRC accumulating.

I would not worry to much about what the engineers see at the time they visit, you know and we know there seems to be a fault on your line just let them investicate it, the fault will be found.

And once I rule out my Data Socket cable this weekend as a cause I'll be phoneing my ISP to have an engineer visit my premises that will be my first time ever in 35 years  :o

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »

newtron you have a lot of blind faith, you dont remember what happened on my previous visits?

They refuse to investigate when their JDSU says all ok.

In terms of DLM my line is operating in a mode I have never seen before.

There is no INP or interleaving but FEC has been enabled.  So basically the DS is like the US now, FEC without interleaving.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »

the service is still useable but it does affect throughput but because FTTC is so fast most things still work without issue.

Here is dumeter when I streamed in a 720p video on youtube, usually its a solid block.

The max speed on dumeter with this sync is 6.5 MB/s and you can see its not hitting that plus its all over the place.  However its still pulling in 10s of mbits/sec.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 08:24:20 PM »

newtron you have a lot of blind faith, you dont remember what happened on my previous visits?

I know but if your like me and have been watching your line stats for a few years on FTTC you will know straight away if it's a DLM blip or serious line issue.

Have been put of calling my ISP when reading various post's that the Engineer will pass the line as OK even if there is a small fault, But small faults turn in to bigger faults over time.

I have decided the OpenReach Engineer is like any other Engineer they are there to service their own Infrastructure be it at the EU home or Cab or exchange of course like any gas or oil burner engineer they need to be paid for there service, it's just the OR engineer does not care if it comes from the ISP or the Customers wallet.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 11:13:51 AM »

ok I now dont think this is extra crosstalk, given the errors and repeated drops.  Probably is a fault.

I am still on fast path no INP, with FEC enabled.

I did sync this morning at around 55mbit, but attainable has since dropped again to 49 so I have a 4.9 snr margin.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:28:02 AM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 07:18:09 PM »

It's never good to have a sync higher than the attainable as seen from your stats GUI and you had an attainable rate of 72000 kbps a few days ago and now your down to 49000 kbps that's a loss of 23000 kbps that's just 9000 kbps shy of my max attainable (32000) on 40/10, I find it hard to believe this could be down to crosstalk  :-\   
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:23:31 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »

it will only be like this for today as I am turning it off at night now.  A good fttc line however will have no issues with a snr of 4.9, my stable 75mbit sync was at 4.1 for over 3 months with an error rate easily under 10% what I have been seeing the past few days and no packet loss.

Of course if tomorrow the attainable drops again after I sync then yes I will have a low snr again.

and the reported attainable was 74.4 not 72 :p

my line estimate is 73.  So if I sync at 49 tomorrow (it will be lower if I get interleaved) then thats 24 mbit below my estimate and 26mbit below the sync I had a few days ago, will be interesting to see if openreach shrug and say "no fault mate".  Also 61mbit below my day 1 attainable.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:00:38 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »

and the reported attainable was 74.4 not 72 :p

Geez Chry the 72 was a guestimate as the MyDslWebStats you posted is lacking in on some ruler markers so i think i did well, and stop being so anal when it comes to absolutes we are only trying to help,

so please leave your sarcasm were it belongs at ThinkBroadband  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

anything