Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Google FTTH ?.  (Read 2414 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Google FTTH ?.
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:59:02 PM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

notaclue

Re: Google FTTH ?.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »

Yes please, this might make BT/Virgin whoever else step up their roll out plans.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »

Unfortunately the search giant has said that we’re unlikely to see a British Google Fibre project being announced anytime soon and by the sounds of it they’re still hunting for a partner to help realise their ambitions (give them a call Hyperoptic). Surely by now BT must privately be starting to worry because, although none of these pose a significant threat today, in 5-10 years’ time the situation could be very different.. emphasis on the “could“.

It's a good read, and one of the reasons the 'Competition Act' was set up. But just as you start to get excited, the quote above is mentioned.
Words are cheap ...... it's action that counts.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »

If you note it mentions cities. 
As per usual they will only enter the market where the population in 'x' area is sufficient to make it profitable.
So those in large towns or cities may have more choice of provider, but when it comes to the laying fibre in the more remote areas I dont see it having much impact at all.   :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »

In my opinion, Google is the last company in the world I would want to have as a supplier of any sort of infrastructure. They are already grossly intrusive, and just think what they could do if they had direct access to the data highways carrying our internet traffic.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »

Yes good point   :(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.