Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 129

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring  (Read 567511 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring
« Reply #1020 on: November 23, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »

Okay  :)

I can't find anything that would affect that range but just in case I've allowed it anyway (but after you sent your mail!)...

NB: You have an interesting U/L sync at 20480.....
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:20:35 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #1021 on: November 23, 2015, 10:21:52 AM »

DSLStats does not show any break in what it was doing in the event log.

When MDWS uploads fail, DSLstats may not detect the failure. Hence the absence of any event log entries. This is down to the fact that it uses an external program (curl) to perform the uploads, and the timeout mechanism doesn't always work if curl hangs. For the same reason the local DSLstats graphs will display a straight line during the down period.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #1022 on: November 23, 2015, 10:33:22 AM »

I have various alerts set to display in the event log so I might expect something if these monitored values change significantly. I can also see graph entries during the so called failing period for things like snrm and crcs. It is possible that the curl program is timing out for some reason which would cause a problem but I guess that does not log anywhere at least not in Windows 7 which is what this PC runs. (Sadly at present I cannot find a Linux weather program which does all I need  :( ). So as I say I can see no obvious cause unless it was curl which I cant check.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

condi

« Reply #1023 on: November 23, 2015, 10:34:55 AM »

Okay  :)

I can't find anything that would affect that range but just in case I've allowed it anyway (but after you sent your mail!)...

NB: You have an interesting U/L sync at 20480.....

Thanks Tony

It's certainly bizarre but it's all up and working here at the moment so I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days

Re. my upload sync - I'm on VDSL2 at about 200 meters from the exchange. The current attainable noted on my modem is 25 Mbps and the engineer got over 35 Mbps on his hand-held. 20 Mbps is the max upload speed available on eircom's, now open eir's VDSL2 network. The max download speed available is 100 Mbps when vectoring is used or 70 Mbps when non-vectored. Vectoring is limited to cabinet installs for now but I believe they are trialling exchange based vectoring in some areas at present. I'm non-vectored as I'm exchange based but my attainable downstream is currently showing 120 Mbps so I'm certainly looking forward to any developments around exchange-based vectoring

condi

« Reply #1024 on: November 23, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »

When I am here, this is a question concerning both MDWS and DSLStats

Would it be possible to support uploading back-data to MDWS... as in data that wasn't uploaded due to a missed or failed upload or data collected over a short period but not uploaded. What spurred the thought was a case I've seen on a poor connection where the link is on it's way to dropping, where the data channel falls but the DSL link stays active for a short time afterwards before collapsing also. As the data channel has failed, the last few moments of particularly interesting data from the DSL link are lost as they failed to upload. My thinking is that if DSLStats could temporarily cache those last few moments of data locally when an upload fails and then upload it to MDWS once the connection allows

I see DSLStats is storing some MDWS data in local ZIP and .log files so my innocent thinking is that it could build the cache here and then upload the lot on the next upload. However, I also recall reading about the importance of accurate clock times when using MDWS so perhaps uploading old data is a complete non-runner? I know it's a big ask either way so it's more just curiosity as to if it can be done

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #1025 on: November 23, 2015, 04:42:32 PM »

Unfortunately I think it's a non-runner for the reason you stated - the timing of uploads. Of course, in principle these things could be dealt with but it would require redesign at both ends, and at the moment I'm struggling to find the time to do the jobs which are already on the todo list.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #1026 on: November 24, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »

I've moved the very interesting but off-topic discussion of OpenEIR to http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16506.0.html
  Eric

condi

« Reply #1027 on: November 24, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »

I've moved the very interesting but off-topic discussion of OpenEIR to http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16506.0.html

Apologies roseway and thanks for moving it

Back to MDWS :)

mavelot

• Just arrived
« Reply #1028 on: November 24, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »

Hello, I am a new member from Italy.
I would point out that I think there is a bug in the status bar.
As you can see from the attached image, the attenuation value upload (highlighted in yellow) is incorrectly printed in the box of the ES.
I encountered the same problem also looking at the statistics of other users.
I hope I was helpful
Thank you

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #1029 on: November 24, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »

Hello, I am a new member from Italy.
I would point out that I think there is a bug in the status bar.
As you can see from the attached image, the attenuation value upload (highlighted in yellow) is incorrectly printed in the box of the ES.
I encountered the same problem also looking at the statistics of other users.
I hope I was helpful

Hi and Welcome!

You are quite correct and the U/S ES and Attenuation columns have been reversed for about a year! I've corrected it now so thanks for pointing it out.

NB: not all modems report an U/S value.

I'll also welcome our New Zealand user while I'm at it.... I had to check on where the +13 hours time offset was coming from  ???

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:56:51 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

mavelot

• Just arrived
« Reply #1030 on: November 24, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »

Hi and Welcome!

You are quite correct and the U/S ES and Attenuation columns have been reversed for about a year! I've corrected it now so thanks for pointing it out.

NB: not all modems report an U/S value.

I'll also welcome our New Zealand user while I'm at it.... I had to check on where the +13 hours time offset was coming from  ???

thanks for the quick support tony!

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #1031 on: November 25, 2015, 12:47:31 PM »

V2.0.3 MINOR UPDATE

This is now available and will need an F5 or appropriate main page refresh/reload to fully implement if you don't see the extra menu entry.

1) This adds the original fail date/time to Upload Resumed emails

2) When a Latency Graph on a Dynamic IP has a change of IP address, this now invalidates the entry if you have one (for TBB graphs only) and you'll need to get and enter a new graph reference from TBB. You can elect to be mailed as a reminder if this happens via a new setting in the Options menu

3) A new facility is now available to Supporters with an extra entry in the menu links at the lower part of the screen of Latency.

This allows a view of anyone's Latency graph who has allowed their graph to be visible publicly (via an existing checkbox in Options).

This opens in a new window and has the options of viewing Small or Large thumbnails with various refresh frequencies. The graphs are stored on the server and updated every 5 mins. The attachments shows what it looks like for the two sizes. Selecting a thumbnail shows the original graph in a PopUp as usual.

There are some 60+ users with Latency graphs available but only 20 have allowed them them to be public currently.

Downtime Advance Notice
UK Power Networks are going to leave this location powerless next week (Monday I think) for "approx six hours" - although last time they did this it lasted a lot longer..... As the UPS only lasts about an 90mins the system will be taken down before they intend to start.

More details this weekend if they don't cancel as has happened before.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:14:51 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #1032 on: November 25, 2015, 01:25:35 PM »

Excellent work Tony!

It's just taken me three attempts to find the correct TBB URL to enter. I wonder if others had issues trying to set theirs so perhaps some guidance notes might be in order (it's a URL ending png not html).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:27:41 PM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #1033 on: November 25, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »

Excellent work Tony!

It's just taken me three attempts to find the correct TBB URL to enter. I wonder if others had issues trying to set theirs so perhaps some guidance notes might be in order (it's a URL ending png not html).

Didn't MDWS tell you the html link was invalid?

Edit:
No it didn't but it will now and I've added a note under the URL field...

From Help:
Latency Monitor
This sets up the Latency Graph (Ping) facility and allows you to specify the graph location for supported graph types. Please make sure that you only use the graph link provided and that it is not an embedded link (it should end in .png or whatever format the image is in). When you select Save Settings you should see the thumbnail graph - if not then check your typing/source.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:39:08 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #1034 on: November 25, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »

Great work Tony, would be possible to show the user's ISP, and perhaps filter by ISP as well?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 129