Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 129

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring  (Read 567315 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring
« Reply #645 on: August 11, 2015, 12:23:50 AM »

yeah we need a linux tool for this as I would love to move my stats monitoring to my router.

I am considering making a shell script for the task.  But would probably need help of tony and co to add all features such as stats uploading.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #646 on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:53 AM »

I'd also be interested in this Chrysalis.

I'd love for my OpenWRT router to do the stats monitoring.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #647 on: August 11, 2015, 07:32:38 AM »

I'd also be interested in this Chrysalis..

I think a lightweight script/app that purely handled collection and upload but with no local graphs etc would be great. If it were bundled as a Synology package that would make me even happier - I might even have a go at doing that side of it myself if somebody else worked on the script itself.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #648 on: August 11, 2015, 07:47:43 AM »

I don't think there's any possibility of MDWS upload capability being incorporated in custom router firmware. A simple alternative is to use DSLstats on a Raspberry Pi. This uses tiny amounts of power, so 24/7 running shouldn't be an issue.

For security reasons, the details of how to upload data to MDWS are restricted to a very small circle of people.
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #649 on: August 11, 2015, 08:16:53 AM »

I am talking about a script roseway, linux based routers have bash awk, curl etc. as tools to collect and process stats.  Crontab a built in function of linux is the linux version of task scheduler.

The limitation would be storage, so the log would have to be cycled/archived to keep space usage down and I would probably want to work with ronski or yourself to add support into the gui apps so those apps are a frontend with the router as a backend.

So e.g. the gui would connect to the router, ask for the stats and then display them.  It could also possibly download the log from the router and generate graphs. The router would handle the automated 24/7 data collection as well as uploading the data to MDWS.

For someone like myself, adding extra devices isnt a solution, using my pc is adequate, but the preference is using the router which is entirely logical given its an always on low powered device anyway.

To give you an idea how capable linux based routers are?

My router currently does the following tasks.

1 - Selective routing on demand VPN endpoint.
2 - Downloads malware url's, tracker url's and adds the hostnames to my dns cache which is hosted by the router.
3 - I have a proxy on the router which the dns cache may forward requests to for filtering (abit like how IWF filtering works).
4 - QoS of my traffic both directions.

Linux based routers are also commonly used for purposes such as a torrent client, NAS and other types of network hub tasks.

I think you have massively under estimated the capability of a linux based router.

I can already think of personal advantages to myself.

e.g. when I watch games on nbc sports I set my clock to the eastern us time on my pc which upsets MDWS uploads, however if my router was handling those uploads, it would be a complete non issue.

I am motivated enough now I can probably have a script made to collect all the stats within an hour of work as well as log in the same format already used by bald eagle so the log would be compatible with the graph creator, the hard bit is the uploading of data and interfacing with a gui.

So the real barriers are really.

1 - Is tony ok with a script that can upload been open source? he may have reservations against that.
2 - Will yourself or ronski be ok with updating your gui's to work as a frontend (optional feature) against a linux cli lan based backend.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:30:08 AM by Chrysalis »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #650 on: August 11, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »

So the real barriers are really.
1 - Is tony ok with a script that can upload been being open source? he may have reservations against that.

First. you may want to choose your words much more carefully when ranting on about someone.

I think you are, and I use a mild word here, being very 'rude' to roseway about his knowledge of Linux and its capabilities. I'll leave it at that.

And may have reservations?  :o :lol: :no: It's never going to happen. 100% no way if that's clear enough for you.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #651 on: August 11, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »

am I ranting tony?  I should know if I was and I wasnt.

Roseway clearly did misunderstand given he is talking about altering a router firmware which isnt at all required on a linux based firmware.  The advantage of linux based firmware's been you have basically a portable version of linux and a package system in the form of entware.

Sadly tho you have pulled the plug on opensource, I had a feeling you wouldnt like the idea hence I mentioned it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #652 on: August 11, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »

Well I just did a bit of digging on the PI you reccomend.

It's a linux device in itself.  So Clearly it is possible to have a linux based tool for this, the tool used on the PI would work on a linux based router providing the necessary dependencies are installed.

Is the PI version of dslstats written in python?  Regardless of what language its written in, basically the change needed would just be to remove the GUI elements, so the configuration would be in ini files, and it would just collect process the data, then it would work fine on any linux based router.

Since  opensource wont be accepted by tony, the answer to this is down to if eric has any motivation to do this, given many more people will have linux based router's than a uncommon raspberry device tho I would like to think there is merit to this request.

Three people in this thread alone proves the demand.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:02:38 AM by Chrysalis »

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #653 on: August 11, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »

Is the PI version of dslstats written in python?  Regardless of what language its written in, basically the change needed would just be to remove the GUI elements, so the configuration would be in ini files, and it would just collect process the data, then it would work fine on any linux based router.

It also opens up the scope to run it on other simple linux based devices, as not all of us have open source routers - Many NAS devices would fit the bill for example as these are generally left on 24/7.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #654 on: August 11, 2015, 10:13:32 AM »

well yeah it can effectively run on any linux device, the showstopper here for linux based routers is the gui element.  As routers dont have normal gui frontends in place.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #655 on: August 11, 2015, 10:15:11 AM »

I'm very much out of my depth here, but surely when DSLStats is running on RPi it's essentially headless? I can't see why there is a showstopper.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #656 on: August 11, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »

I'm very much out of my depth here, but surely when DSLStats is running on RPi it's essentially headless? I can't see why there is a showstopper.

The issue is that the existing Linux/Ras Pi version relies on there being a GUI and will not run without those capabilities. Routers/Nas devices etc do not have any GUI

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #657 on: August 11, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »

So you just have to run a VNC server on your headless box?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #658 on: August 11, 2015, 10:27:07 AM »

Dray does a PI have a UI or is it cli only?

I assumed it has given there is even windows 10 on it now.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #659 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:40 AM »

Dunno sorry. A poster on here gave me some instructions for running DSLStats on a RPi, which included running a VNC server so I'm guessing that handles the display for X11.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 129