Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 129

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring  (Read 567193 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »

Amongst all the goings on, it appears that the main database table has now crashed and auto repair has failed. I've manually started a repair but this may well take a long, long  time. Not accepting any uploads currently for this reason as that's where they go.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #346 on: February 27, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »

Feel for TB2 seems to be having a lot of issues over the last 24hrs. Now the Database. Im sure we all appreciate the time its taking. No rush here

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2015, 05:39:05 PM »

Feel for TB2 seems to be having a lot of issues over the last 24hrs. Now the Database. Im sure we all appreciate the time its taking. No rush here

Tony

Did I mention my 30" monitor failed yesterday after 5 years of faithful service? The new one arrived a few hours ago  :'(

Site back up and running. I changed my mind and restored a very recent backup...
Tony
My Books!

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2015, 05:42:57 PM »

Did I mention my 30" monitor failed yesterday after 5 years of faithful service? The new one arrived a few hours ago  :'(

really now, you don't need a 30" monitor for dslstats, I run it on a 10" :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:45:05 PM by loonylion »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »

I am confused, tony you now hosting this at home?

Also I did wonder why google is needed for some parts of the site. your FTTC line looks a mess wow.  It makes newt's swings seem insignificant in comparison.

He has some radio china international in the tones of 1700 and radio romania international on tones 1400 on the D2 band but they are not the overall cause of the low SNRM dips.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #350 on: February 28, 2015, 02:00:45 AM »

If you recollect very few people (except for some kind souls who kept the paid hosting going for a while)  were willing to donate enough for 'proper' hosting

Whilst I sympathise, I think you may just have to accept that donations alone are unlikely to be able to maintain the cost of a dedicated UK server.  I do know how much they cost and you will recall that I confirmed the figures in a previous post because I know this sites requirements. Donations from dsl based sites isnt profitable - again I can confirm this.  I keep a record of each and every person that has donated for the full 12 years this site has been running (here). There's been many a year when Ive funded out of my own pocket and one year I even had to borrow money from a friend to keep it going and another personal friend of mine donates to my hosting costs each year rather than buying me a birthday pressie.

For one database with 65 users then you are likely to be able to get away with low level cloud based hosting to cut costs.  If push came to shove, then this forum alone would cope with cloud based hosting.  The DB is pretty large as its been running a years.  However, my problem is the main site whilst also contains some large DB's for things such as the adslchecker, my hits run into millions per week and tens of thousand of individual visitors, yet you can quite clearly see that donations never, ever cover my hosting costs.   I just have to look at the site as an unpaid hobby for which I spend many hours per week (theres a lot of b/g stuff that you guys never get to see)...  and unfortunately I cannot get away with cheap hosting.. and its also too big for me to run on my own without some help from my hosts (security and config issues) which is why I need decent UK support too. 

I'm not alone here,   BE dedicates his own time to produce hg612 modem_stats for nothing, same with Ronski for the GUI.   Eric dedicates a lot of time to maintaining dlsstats and has to also pay for his hosting, for which he too gets nothing. John doesnt make any profit from routerstats.     

You could try some other methods, I tried Amazon shop, but tbh that is a waste of time, because of the floor limit for min payment. I think Ive been using it for 8yrs and it was only 2 months ago I got my first ever payment when someone purchased some download videos.   You use google already so try google ads,  again this isnt always successful, I keep my ads as small as possible with none of the big banners which are supposed to bring more income, but a warning there.  I find that because a lot of the frequent visitors to sites such as this are tech savy so tend to use ad blockers, so perhaps you could appeal to users to white list your site? It may bring in a couple of quid per month?   Perhaps get a host to sponsor you?

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, Im just trying to state facts as they are and you're going to be very lucky if you think you can make any sort of profit from it.  Like I say, Ive been running this site for 12/13yrs and have never personally made a single penny from it, everything gets ploughed back in.  Its often a full time unpaid job, that costs me to run :D 

---
btw I want to stress that this isnt a hint at the regs to make donations for this site.   I see the forums as a community and I greatly value the input of the regs with their time.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #351 on: February 28, 2015, 08:37:23 AM »

Thanks for various PMs, private mails and posts here with comments on the hosting.

But as I said in the original post yesterday, I'm happy to have the server running here until whenever - so am not looking for alternative hosting, paid, free or otherwise as donations could never cover the cost, a fact I learned many years ago in the '90s and there are not enough users here anyway (200 registered currently) - but again thanks for several offers. DNS is NOT on this server here BTW.

Like the others involved in MDWS, I too have never looked to cover the time spent on developing this project as that would be a total impossibility anyway.

But it's great to have some ongoing donations to show appreciations and cover a few outgoings if possible thanks. It also gives one a warm feeling when they arrive and helps to counteract days like yesterday and plough on  :)
It also appears that yesterday's problem to do with Google etc was quite possibly a PlusNet fault  >:D   Again thanks to those who mailed me to mention that.

I already have paid shared hosting available and run nine web sites currently. MDWS was developed on that shared hosting but they refused use of the production version due to the continual uploads and unpredictable future traffic, plus it was shared with ~1700 other sites.

Thanks again to everyone.
Tony
My Books!

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #352 on: February 28, 2015, 06:47:16 PM »

errrm......Tony.........Is the website running very slow after the restore.

A 10 day error second plot is taking >12 seconds.

No big problem  ;)

Ian

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #353 on: March 01, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »

errrm......Tony.........Is the website running very slow after the restore.

A 10 day error second plot is taking >12 seconds.

No big problem  ;)

Ian

Thanks, hadn't spotted that.

Um. Well it shouldn't!   Fixed and it's about 100 times faster now....  ;)

Note that the 24 hour and less ES graphs look different to the 48 hour and greater as the latter do NOT include the current day on the right. The longer periods have a dedicated summary table for speed of access and that is updated at 00:30 each day for the previous day. Also, the last two days were missing and that's fixed as well.
Tony
My Books!

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #354 on: March 01, 2015, 12:35:28 PM »

Very fast today Tony was browsing earlier and its much quicker!
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #355 on: March 01, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »

It does not matter much but I think it may be more helpful to allow the current day to appear in less than 5 day periods.  I like to look at the current day in relation to the last few days.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #356 on: March 01, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »

It does not matter much but I think it may be more helpful to allow the current day to appear in less than 5 day periods.  I like to look at the current day in relation to the last few days.

It will then run very slow again....

Try running two panes one with the last day/few days and one with more?
Tony
My Books!

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #357 on: March 01, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »

Thanks Tony, as you say much faster now. I had to come back and re-read your post as I was about to mention the lack of current day in my preferred 10 day plot.

As les mentions i also like to keep an eye on the live trend in real time with a manual refresh only, but if you think it slows the server too much then OK.

Thanks again
Ian

EDIT: you have replied whilst I was composing this....the server would run slow  :( I will try modifying my panes  ;D

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #358 on: March 01, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »

Thanks Tony, as you say much faster now. I had to come back and re-read your post as I was about to mention the lack of current day in my preferred 10 day plot.

I might be able to do something about it by adding on the current day's data to the end of the quick fetch data.... Have to wait a little while though.
Tony
My Books!

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #359 on: March 01, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »

Okay, all date spans are now displaying ES along with running totals for current day as well  :)

Bear in mind that horizontal compression on the graphs may lose the last hour plot or so on wider spans.
Tony
My Books!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 129