Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 129

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring  (Read 569087 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »

Interestingly, and this is listed on Kitz elsewhere some time back by roseway, Reason 3 for a resync is:

High Upstream FEC (actually TooManyUsFEC)

It's used in MDWS as the reason when/if that error occurs. Is there some later data that would negate that or offer a different reason? Or, maybe it only occurs on ADSL lines?

The posting you refer to is here:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12504.msg236038#msg236038

This of course is not related to DLM, it's just a list of recognised reasons for the connection to re-sync.
  Eric

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »

I imagine that DLM doesn't care about the number of FEC's when it is trying to make a decision about whether further intervention is required: FECs represent success for DLM, showing that the current settings are appropriate for the noise environment.

It is only the CRC count, and the associated ES and SES values, that continue to represent failure to DLM - so it will continue to monitor these.

However, when DLM is choosing to remove intervention, there is the possibility that the FEC level is considered. If DLM only looked at whether the ongoing ES and SES levels are low enough, it might decide that FEC+Interleaving is no longer required - when a high level of FECs (or FEC seconds) could be a contra-indication. In those circumstances, service would flip-flop back and forth.

DLM could sensibly use FECs in this way, but I'm not sure it does.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2014, 12:10:52 PM »

Interestingly, and this is listed on Kitz elsewhere some time back by roseway, Reason 3 for a resync is:

High Upstream FEC (actually TooManyUsFEC)

It's used in MDWS as the reason when/if that error occurs. Is there some later data that would negate that or offer a different reason? Or, maybe it only occurs on ADSL lines?

The posting you refer to is here:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12504.msg236038#msg236038

This of course is not related to DLM, it's just a list of recognised reasons for the connection to re-sync.

Thanks Eric. Yes that's exactly what I was pointing out I thought? I purposely didn't refer to the DLM as the cause, just that there can be a resync caused by high FEC == Reason No 3, by whatever piece of equipment initiates the resync in that instance - which would be?

I just want to get the reported MDWS cause of High Upstream FEC for the resync correct if it isn't.

Incidentally resync mails are currently disabled.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »

Multi User Monitor

There is a new page available in MyDSLWebStats that a few have asked for. It's different to normal in that it is a standalone page (or tab) that occupies a whole page. There is a link to it within the Control Box All User Stats monitor now when displaying that but that is getting difficult to use as the number of active uploaders rises.

This standalone version of it shows every user at once depending on your screen resolution. It still updates every 30 secs but only currently lists sorted by User Name. It should be possible to add some additional column sorting later. There is a larger display font as well.

All the ISPs have been collected from the upload data now and for new users as they appear and once the facility to allow use of this for each user is in, they can appear on this page as well. This will then offer the option to list the stats by ISP rather than User which might reveal trends when large area problems occur.

There are other standalone pages coming along of the multi-monitoring type plus additional standard line graphs for the panes.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:22:35 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »

Multi User Monitor

A slight change, rather than control the display paramter/order from the new page, it now picks up the current settings from the original pane-based facility. If you change that, the full page version will pick up the change at the next 30s refresh.

The smaller version does not have to be running to view the larger one unless you want to change any of the settings.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:55:19 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2014, 11:28:27 PM »

Can I just say tbailey2 your MyWebStats site is excellent  :)
It extends BE1 + Ronski's and Roseways programs for us the users to gain more knowledge and the only way for me is to compare others stats against my own.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2014, 03:26:58 PM »

Can I just say tbailey2 your MyWebStats site is excellent  :)
It extends BE1 + Ronski's and Roseways programs for us the users to gain more knowledge and the only way for me is to compare others stats against my own.

Thank you for that, much appreciated  ;D
Tony
My Books!

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2014, 04:03:29 PM »

Raspberry Pi uploading to MyDSLWebStats

For those interested in using a Raspberry Pi to upload data, I've managed to get one working and actively uploading, although I need to tidy up the wiring that is currently going all over the place  :(

I have never used a Linux command in my life having worked with Windows since the dawn of time so it was a bit of an experience.  With help from Eric, roseway, and a few aborted installs, it now runs reliably.

You can see it logged on as Crusty-rpi and it is using the same data as my own username but uploaded at a different time within the minute. It's using dslstats32RPi-5.1.2. OS is Raspbian running directly from an image on the 8gB SD card.

This is the basic B+ model running off a USB supply and HDMI o/p to my main PC currently. I also have a 3.2" LCD colour plug-in touchscreen for it but have yet to set that up. My desktop screengrab is attached from which you can see that it runs MyDSLWebStats okay as well in the Epiphany browser (the other one doesn't seem to have Javascript support that I could find). It is a bit on the slow side rendering the graph though as you might expect.

What I'll do is develop a page or two over the next week on my experience of setting it up and installing it and the pitfalls I encountered in the process. Eric will also kindly contribute as there are things I still need to do.

Hopefully this will then help anyone who wants set up a 24/7 low power 5v machine for the purpose. I'll measure the current consumption when I can find my USB V/A meter!

Tony
My Books!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2014, 07:47:09 PM »

What I'll do is develop a page or two over the next week on my experience of setting it up and installing it and the pitfalls I encountered in the process. Eric will also kindly contribute as there are things I still need to do.

Hopefully this will then help anyone who wants set up a 24/7 low power 5v machine for the purpose. I'll measure the current consumption when I can find my USB V/A meter!

That would be very helpfull indeed tbailey2  :) had a linux partion on the PC drive and used it for 6 months it's the RPi hardware & software setup that may confuse me and this moniter only has VGA and DVI outputs (DVI in-use) looks like i'll also need a HDMI to VGA adapter.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2014, 08:05:26 PM »

That would be very helpfull indeed tbailey2  :) had a linux partion on the PC drive and used it for 6 months it's the RPi hardware & software setup that may confuse me and this moniter only has VGA and DVI outputs (DVI in-use) looks like i'll also need a HDMI to VGA adapter.

HDMI is digital, VGA is analogue. Can't convert between them without a powered box of electronics which will be quite expensive.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »

it would be awesome if a asuswrt router can be made to manage/upload data :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2014, 08:40:17 PM »

HDMI is digital, VGA is analogue. Can't convert between them without a powered box of electronics which will be quite expensive.

It's not that expensive £6 to £8 Connector: HDMI male to VGA female

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »

You don't need to go to that trouble. Just Remote Console into the RPi and with a WiFi dongle on it, all's you need is power to the RPi, no other leads...

Edit:
As for installing software problems, it would be possible for someone to get a basic working setup running and then image the SD card (less the DSLStats logon details) (using Win32diskimager on Windows say) and pop that image onto Dropbox for download. Put that image onto your own SD card using the same software, pop it in, power on and off you go....  :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:13:30 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

Ducky

« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2014, 10:12:36 AM »

Am I being a 'bit fick' here, but how have the people got their systems configured who are uploading stats?  I have to have my monitoring laptop plugged into my 612 on Lan2 to access the stats/web interface, but then it doesn't have any internet connection (Lan1 is the uplink to my BT router).

Are people changing the gateway on their 612 to run on their internet network? i.e. from 192.168.1.254 to say 192.168.2.254 (what my internal network is on)? 

thx
:)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »

Change the address of the HG612 to match your LAN and connect LAN2 to your LAN, then your stats should be available to any PC.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 129

anything