Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 129

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring  (Read 567236 times)

Ronski

• Kitizen
Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »

The link on the GUI is not supposed to log you back in, the GUI doesn't know your username or password, only the info needed to upload stats.

On the occasions I've had to log back in I've had no problems,  maybe I've had to refresh the captcha a few time though. Since the v1.1 update I haven't had to log back in on any of my devices. As long as you don't log out a cookie should be stored on your device, this seems to be working very well for me. There is an earlier post detailing all this.

With reference to our ISP's being displayed, it doesn't bother me at all, there's plenty of places on the net where I make it clear enough whom I'm with, and I've also used the Plus Net ping graph pages when I've had a problem to see if it's affected others. However I can see that some may see this as a problem, so the simple solution would be to allow people to opt out of having their ISP shown.

I am curious as how he's worked out who our ISP'S  are? I know this information is available when doing a speed test, so must be available somehow.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »

I am curious as how he's worked out who our ISP'S  are? I know this information is available when doing a speed test, so must be available somehow.

In most cases your IP address identifies your ISP, and this can be read by every website you visit. It's certainly not a secret.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2014, 08:28:32 AM »

@TimeBandit: please remember that MyDSLWebStats is a free service set up by someone at his own expense, and he even took time off paid work to set it up. Logging in may be slightly complicated, but it's not a big problem, and lots of us are using it every day without difficulty. Give the man a break. :)
  Eric

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »

I suggest making the isp info be controllable by the account holder.

I also agree with the login page comments, I consider captcha and the q&a overkill.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »

Hi

I also access the MyDslWebstats via my mobile and other peoples/clients broadband connections and noticed that my isp was showing as VodafoneUK ie. the IP addy I was accessing the website by not the ISP of my upload PC.

Ian

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »

But I can't log in etc etc etc etc

As Ron says, the GUI has no idea how to log you in so that will just take you directly to the Registration page. There is no code in there other than links that would take you directly to any other page - unless you successfully Log On.

Can I please strongly suggest that you ask for help first on what the problem might be next time rather than hurl your toys out of the pram and scream and shout in public. If there is a problem for you that others apparently don't have, we can locate and fix it if possible.

In answer to your question, your uploads ceased with the last one being at 08:17 this morning - you might want to check the upload terminal details as the web site Log On data has no connection with the upload at all. One person recently changed their username inadvertantly but that causes loggable errors and there haven't been any from you. It was working for you so something apparently has to have changed and there have been no changes with the upload side code for some time now. Unless you have disabled it since posting of course.

As said before, if you have cookies that are not destroyed when you finish the session, close the browser or whatever, then you should NOT have to log on again for a long time if atall. And if you do you'll only need to enter your UserName and Password, again as I've said before - all providing you have permanent cookies. It sounds like you do not I'm afraid. But I could be wrong of course.

The captcha IS needed when first logging on in my opinion - it is an easier server entry point than the Registration. I have also worked on programming including security for Government and other entities over the past 22 years and am very conscious of the need for it after servers have been compromised. It isn't primarily to protect the data as such, which as you say is not particularly sensitive. It's there to protect the server itself as you should well know if you have worked in security. When you have the ability to see tens of thousands of continuous root (and other account) automated login attempts caught and the IPs banned by cPHulk, it tends to bring the risk home.

The blanket statement it is useless in its current form is untrue, it's your own opinion of your own experience. Since yesterday morning nine people have logged on at the first attempt and two have failed through invalid passwords but succeeded on 2nd attempt. Other people have mailed to say they have no problems.

As explained before at some length, please check that you are retaining Cookies permanently for the site. IE11 is particularly agressive in this repect. I don't think I've logged in on any of the browsers and terminals I use (4 workstations and 2 laptops, each of which has up to 5 browsers available for testing this and other projects etc).

Please bear in mind that this is currently a FREE access project for everyone out there (with an option to Donate to keep it going that is being pretty well ignored except by one kind soul) that four people have given up their time and energy, also for free, over the past three months to get it going after the initial idea came up.

There were a lot of problems that had to be worked around, at one point we had to give up and start again with the uploads to find a much more secure method that otherwise threatened the entire project.

I fund the dedicated server myself out of my own pocket and like to protect it from the nutters out there as far as possible as you might possibly imagine.

There is also now a monitor on the Cookies and their expiry dates in an effort to see if anything unexpected might be happening and to see why yours might be failing if you want to try again. There should already be specific evidence of this in the logs but I can't find anything at the times you were trying.

So. if you want help PLEASE ASK FIRST. I don't see any major problems with the security requirements looking at the logs that would cause me to change the requirements at this moment, certainly the extra effort needed initially is not a valid reason. Changing your account details etc is underway but needs some more work that I could have continued attended to had I not spent hours working on this reply in between other chores/mails/phone.

Ron: re ISP details. As roseway says, a Host lookup on the the IP Address that is returned to the server by everyone (and I have a massive cache of Host lookups) will return enough info to determine it in 90% of cases, the others need a bit more work - such as our Swiss LIVE user. And OK on it as an option which I may well do. Most people on TBB state their ISP in their sigs anyway, not so much though on Kitz. I've removed them for now until I can attend to the user comments later.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:44:08 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »

@TimeBandit: please remember that MyDSLWebStats is a free service set up by someone at his own expense, and he even took time off paid work to set it up. Logging in may be slightly complicated, but it's not a big problem, and lots of us are using it every day without difficulty. Give the man a break. :)
Thank you Eric. A rather more compact version of my post I hadn't spotted beforehand  ::) 
Tony
My Books!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2014, 02:45:34 PM »

:-\   Please remember this isnt TBB.  I can sense frustration on both sides. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »

my issue's with captcha's are is that they only serve to frustrate, bots get by them anyway and it can block human's who struggle to read them.

yes its not a major issue given the cookies last a long time now, but I find your point interesting you say it can help prevent the server been rooted somehow, given I also work in server security I have interest in that comment.

I remember not been able to register on palemoon's forum due to the captcha, the admin eventually gave in and manually registered me after he seen I had over 20 failed attempts. :)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2014, 03:19:29 PM »

But I can't log in etc etc etc etc
... Please bear in mind that this is currently a FREE access project for everyone out there (with an option to Donate to keep it going that is being pretty well ignored except by one kind soul) that four people have given up their time and energy, also for free, over the past three months to get it going after the initial idea came up. ...

Thanks for the prompt re: Donations

Something is on its way with thanks.

*** Please Support Tony et al & Kitz for their hard work and time given freely to us all ***
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:36:12 PM by AArdvark »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2014, 03:53:35 PM »

my issue's with captcha's are is that they only serve to frustrate, bots get by them anyway and it can block human's who struggle to read them.

That can be frustrating - a bit like people who put apostrophes everywhere they are not needed....  :graduate:  (sorry I proof read publisher's drafts as one of my activities)

yes its not a major issue given the cookies last a long time now, but I find your point interesting you say it can help prevent the server been rooted somehow, given I also work in server security I have interest in that comment.

You are reading into what I said - I was making the general point that security overall is there to protect the server as well as the specific data you are trying to access, not that captchas can do anything directly.

I remember not been able to register on palemoon's forum due to the captcha, the admin eventually gave in and manually registered me after he seen I had over 20 failed attempts. :)

Um that's interesting. Doesn't that maybe indicate a visit to the opticians might be needed if you've had such trouble elsewhere with reading captchas? Two or three tries maybe but 20  :no:
Tony
My Books!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »

no because captchas are deliberately made to be hard to read, but different sites have different captchas some can be incredibly hard to read with letters overlapping, covered by lines and shapes etc.  I also dont know if the palemoon registration had some kind of bug or not but regardless I kept getting fail's on the captchas.

Some developers try to get best of both worlds, an idea is to not initially show the captcha but if there is say 3 failed attempts in a row then require the captcha to login from the 4th attempt onwards, google do it that way, and yes I may or may not have an eye issue, although whenever I get tested doc's always say is fine. Although I probably dont have the same vision as an 18 year old.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:22:08 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »

Have to say I quite like the ISP tag and have not had to use the captcha since the registration was succesfull and let the username & password save to the browser and all you need to do is click logon and your in.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2014, 06:25:25 PM »

Um that's interesting. Doesn't that maybe indicate a visit to the opticians might be needed if you've had such trouble elsewhere with reading captchas? Two or three tries maybe but 20

eke... I dont wear glasses..  but I mentioned previously that I did find the login precess & captcha difficult.   I certainly refreshed well over 20 times and I did have considerable problems logging back in.  The extended use of cookies should remedy this to a large extent.

At the end of the day, it is tbailey's baby so the choice of security is entirely down to him.  Its also up to him whether he takes on-board feedback and constructive suggestions.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »

Since I moved from HG612_Modem_stats to dslstats to upload the data to mydslstats have noticed my DS FEC/Min count is mirrored on the US FEC/Min count don't think that sould be the case  ???
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 129