Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 129

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring  (Read 567248 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2014, 09:06:51 AM »

I think firefox by default treats both same not sure tho.

I am using cookie monster extension which has much finer control over cookies.  I dont know if normally in firefox a sub domain of primary domain counts as third party or not.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »

I think firefox by default treats both same not sure tho.

I am using cookie monster extension which has much finer control over cookies.  I dont know if normally in firefox a sub domain of primary domain counts as third party or not.
I think you'll find it has to be a separate root domain to be 3rd party.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »

Have found IE9 is somewhat lacking in the graphing department and by using Google Chrome with mydslstats the graphing is working fine on vista, it should be ok with windows 8 IE11 i'll check that later after a reboot.

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »

All my devices seem to be working better now, I haven't need to log back in since I think the v1.1 update on any of the browsers I use.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2014, 10:29:10 PM »

I am really injoying using mydslstats,can even see some users suffering the evening RFI at 18:00 same as me, with all that info to hand you get clearer picture into how the distance from exchange/FTTC cabinet effects the end users stats  :thumbs:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2014, 10:46:22 PM »

yes and let us watch your line also please :)

even if its only partial data.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »

Ha Ha i did say from the start the data collected will only be when the PC is ON and the data usage is not that bad as first thought, unless I get a laptop and also go unlimited this offline and online is not going to change  :)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2014, 07:58:36 AM »

Ha Ha i did say from the start the data collected will only be when the PC is ON and the data usage is not that bad as first thought, unless I get a laptop and also go unlimited this offline and online is not going to change  :)

Glad you like it now we've got there  8)

Well I have my Raspberry Pi here ready for testing 24/7 when the code is available. That consumes under 2A at 5v max on its own (so the data says). Hopefully I can do a beginners guide eventually (I am very much one as I'm not a Linux user and have never even installed it on anything) as to how to set it up (and probably what not to do as well).

The raw board is around £30 for the B+ model and you can get a small 3 inch touch screen that sits on top for just over the same price.

Eric can probably make some relevant comments as well.
Tony
My Books!

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »

My appreciation and thanks to the developers of myDSLwebStats, I find it a valuable resource.  At risk of immediately being thought of as Oliver Twist I wonder if you could think about adding something extra? 

It would very useful to be able to see the average errors rates over time more clearly than with the bar charts, especially if like me your PC is not always running. (I hope I am not missing something).

As a suggestion, and to clarify what I might mean, one suggestion would plotting the average error rate/hour since the last resync (starting one hour after the last resync).

This could be plotted as a continuous line on each of the current bar error plots e.g. ES and CRC.  I don't know exactly what is uploaded to myDSLWebstats but this average is easy to calculate if you have the results of "info --stats" using the "since link time" stats.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »

My appreciation and thanks to the developers of myDSLwebStats, I find it a valuable resource.  At risk of immediately being thought of as Oliver Twist I wonder if you could think about adding something extra? 

It would very useful to be able to see the average errors rates over time more clearly than with the bar charts, especially if like me your PC is not always running. (I hope I am not missing something).

As a suggestion, and to clarify what I might mean, one suggestion would plotting the average error rate/hour since the last resync (starting one hour after the last resync).

This could be plotted as a continuous line on each of the current bar error plots e.g. ES and CRC.  I don't know exactly what is uploaded to myDSLWebstats but this average is easy to calculate if you have the results of "info --stats" using the "since link time" stats.

Thanks. Anything is possible in the future. You can already get a visual idea of error trends over a period using the 'Period to show' option set to look further back than 24 hours, it can go back 120 days currently. Or use the Range option for any two dates between 1st Jan 2014 (a couple of users have this) and today. The only 'Bar' Chart is ES - although it's actually a Column Chart. The others are mainly Line Charts.

I have to give this project a rest for a while though for real work that pays money. Been pretty well flat out since June working on it when I first had the idea.

There is one major new option to come though I'm just working on now. There is also a finished graph for Uptime that has yet to be released.
Tony
My Books!

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »

Please could you say how errored sec/hour are dealt with in the plots when there gaps in the samples received?  For those with continuous data it looks like a average every hour is plotted but with switching PC's on an off some intermediate times appear along with some whole hours. 

I assume crc/min is just that whenever two consecutive  samples are received.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2014, 10:15:13 PM »

After a few days using mydslstats it would seem the shorter lines 79000 kbps DS sync with 19999 kbps US sync have really nothing to complain about as your stats are static (boring)  :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:29:03 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »

Please dont take this the wrong way, but when did you start displaying ISP information.   For me its not really applicable as Im sure most people know which ISP Im with..  but I do have some slight concerns that anyone can register to lurk and check out info on other people lines without them actively partaking in the project themselves.

Im not criticising your hard work.. I think what youve done is a brilliant idea...  Im just not sure about the ISP and whether that is relevant for people of the lurker type to know.  Thoughts by others?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2014, 10:16:52 PM »

Please dont take this the wrong way, but when did you start displaying ISP information?  For me it's not really applicable as I'm sure most people know which ISP I'm with..  but I do have some slight concerns that anyone can register to lurk and check out info on other people lines without them actively partaking in the project themselves.

Im not criticising your hard work.. I think what youve done is a brilliant idea...  Im just not sure about the ISP and whether that is relevant for people of the lurker type to know.  Thoughts by others?

When? About three hours ago after collecting them all over the past week as I thought it would be of general interest.... It's there for a specific purpose, as well as general info, which is looking for possible ISP specific faults that might occur as will become apparent in the next update. I can easily remove it if there is concern now that you've publicly raised the possibility but I'm not convinced it's of any benefit to the type of person you mention, and I am very aware of them - other than it's apparent that the majority of people on MDWS use one particular ISP, if it was an IP address then yes, there would be a problem.
Tony
My Books!

TimeBandit

« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2014, 05:03:35 AM »

OK, I've set it all up, I've been viewing results, and it all looked good - then I had a problem with my FTTC.
So I swapped out the Billion 8800n for the HG612 and TG582n, just to eliminate that.
The program kept running, but couldn't get anything from the (still locked) HG612.
Since changing made no difference I changed back, and now appear to be getting valid data again - which I assume is going up to the MyDSLWebStats site, via my registration.

But I can't log in - Even when clicking the link in the GUI which should take me there.  If the GUI can store the required information to push data onto the site, it certainly should be possible to use the same information to read what you've pushed up there!
All it takes me to now is the guest page.
My browser has remembered my password, but there's so much other faff involved in fighting my way into the login screen that I just can't remember (Is it really necessary to have username, password, memorable phrase, Captcha AND a Q &  A on what the capital of England is?

Having all that stuff is contrary to all basic tenets of decent security, since the result is that you HAVE to write it down somewhere - and that is a security risk.

Once registered, a user should only need username and password, with complexity requirements on the password if you feel the need to be more secure than average.
Captcha is only necessary for registration.
And I was under the impression when I registered that the other stuff would only ever be needed if I lost my password, which is saved in my browser and backed up (unlike that of any site with properly sensitive data on it, btw - I keep a strongly encrypted file with a record of all of those, stored somewhere else with an air-gap between it and the internet).

Do you really think you need stronger security than paypal or most banks?
Or the MOD (for whom I have set up security, so some well qualified people other than myself seem to think I know just a little bit about it).

AND THERE'S NO FACILITY FOR RESETTING LOGIN INFORMATION WHEN IT GETS LOST!

fix it please, as it is useless in it's current form.

Once you make the mistake of logging out, you can never get back in!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:25:28 AM by TimeBandit »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 129

anything