Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 129

Author Topic: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring  (Read 567327 times)

TimeBandit

Re: MyDSLWebStats - Remote Web-based Monitoring
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2014, 06:10:10 PM »

First let me congratulate Tony again these stats are fantastic.  :P

I think I may be now suffering from paranoia as I can see so much detail. I have noticed my SNR falls at night. This I know is normal, however I'm surprised by the size of the drops and times. last night just after 4PM and similar the previous nights large drops. At this time there is certainly no electrical activity in our home or I expect in any others between here and the cab.

I know other are able to see our stats, so appreciate any information for interest sake. ??? Fortunately even with SNR falling below 3db I'm staying in sync. Incidentally, I'm only 600m from the cab, but unfortunately part of that at the beginning is on AL cable not copper hence the poor speeds. I'm also on a busy cab.

I'm in IT so would like the benefit of more experienced knowledge in this area.

Thanks

Tony

I wonder if anyone between you and your cabinet is using cheaper night electricity to run dishwasher, washing machine, immersion heater, etc.
Thermostats opening and closing or motors switching on and off can create some nasty RF spikes if not properly suppressed (a capacitor across the contacts does it - which sometimes fails and makes the relay suddenly become noisy.

I'm not sure how you'd track it down, unless you watch for the interference starting and then go on street patrol with an AM radio tuned between channels.  Even if you find it, I'm not sure how you'd persuade the owner to fix it unless it's affecting anything of theirs as well.
You could try pointing out that the contacts will fail if it isn't fixed (which is true, although it takes quite a while).

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »

Well if they can't be bothered to Register then that answers that....

got a few friends I want to show but they dont want to register just to view my stats.

to be fair I avoid registering on various sites because its a hassle.

The need to register and have a very complex login page as well just to view stats seems excessive.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »

Thanks for the comments. I think its likely a house that is having very major extensions and they are still living in it. I guess perhaps lots of electrical kit used nightly is temporary and may be the evening drop. I've also noticed a spike every night at 0500 so I'm sure that's some sort of timer. Looking over the last week its marginally better each night, interested to see if weekend is worse. The path of my line goes right in front of this property. I recon another 2 months ( its been 6 already) and it will be completed. If after then I might think again.

Thanks for the input it confirms my thoughts

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2014, 01:27:14 AM »

Is there a reason for a dual-password setup for the login page?

The "memorable phrase" defeats my lastpass setup, which is the place I assign password memory to - and by doing so, makes sure I generate really obscure passwords for sites where it works.

Unfortunately, this means my "memorable phrase" tends to be very un-memorable, and means I have it written down somewhere - and then have to scramble to find that when the website croaks and logs me off (such as this evening). This is partly exacerbated because my favourite "memorable phrase" is actually too long to be stored in the 18-character limit.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2014, 01:51:24 AM »

I have same issue WWWwombat, its hard to quickly login.  Firefox is entering a cached value into the wrong box.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2014, 07:08:17 AM »

It is not that bad as once you login the first time a cookie ensures that in future there is no login if you go straight to the display page.-just straight there

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2014, 07:43:20 AM »

Those cookies seem to expire, if I try to go straight to the page after a while I am guest.

vs1

• Just arrived
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2014, 02:03:30 PM »

I'm working on something similar to this for my own personal use. I didn't know anyone was interested in doing a service like this. Good job. :)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2014, 11:36:21 PM »

Those cookies seem to expire, if I try to go straight to the page after a while I am guest.
I'll attempt to answer several queries at once here.

Cookies don't expire until 28 days or more after creation and will occasionally be extended.  If they appear to be deleted or expiring then something is deleting them, they don't just vanish unexpectedly, and it won't be the website either (which has been up for 58+ days with no problems) nor should a connection loss have any effect.

Specifically logging out will though make you log on again and you really only need to do that if you don't want someone else on your terminal using it.

You may have discovered also that once you've logged on a few times, the logon requirement becomes much simpler. The cookies will (should) survive shutting down the terminal and/or closing the browser and restarting if everything is set up correctly.

No cookie(s) and you become a guest as observed. Also, if you repeatedly get told your Memorable Phrase is incorrect (which, being easily remembered you won't get wrong) then you are almost certainly not setting any cookies in the first place and you'll never be able to log on.

Both of you affected are using FF32 so maybe it's not set up correctly? Cookie phobia on the browser developers part seems to mean we'll delete them if we get the chance without you knowing...

To set FF up to keep cookies, open the Tools, Options menu. Then select Privacy, and under History change the dropdown list to read Use Custom Settings for History. Then check Accept Cookies from Sites and change Keep Until to read they expire. Then select Exceptions. Enter mydslwebstats.co.uk in the text box and select Allow. Then also add and Allow www.mydslwebstats.co.uk Then Close and then Okay the original dialogue box. Without these settings you may well be deleting cookies.

Make sure you don't have extensions like Self Destructing Cookies or the like that will still delete cookies.

The Memorable Phrase is NOT a password! It's just what it says, a phrase that you can easily remember. It would usually be plain text like 'I love carrots' or 'dogs hate cats' or whatever but not a character concatenation that is impossible for you to memorise. Now you have mentioned that, the reason FF is treating it as a password is because the box you are typing it into is defined as a password box, hence the hidden characters. So I've changed it to a text box, can't say I'd really noticed though as I can easily remember my memorable phrase....

Personally, I don't trust LastPass or it's ilk in the same way that I no longer trust Roboform that I had been using since I found out that it sends your supposedly private master password back to its creators!

Hope that helps  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:59:53 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2014, 08:10:49 PM »

Tony

Any more info on this statement

Cookies don't expire until 28 days or more after creation and will occasionally be extended.

any chance these can be set for xxx months/years.

LAst pass is not compatible with the login page...it seems to replace the mem phrase  with the password proper; i have unticked the autofill option (in the lastpass "site") and hopefully that will work next time i have to login.

Tony these are not complaints..just comments/help for other users....your website saves me having to remote desktop into my pc to see the stats and is much appreciated.

Ian

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »

Ian

I've changed the cookies to 6 months. Just hope you aren't still using it in 2038 when the world ends (or at least the 32-bit world)

Also had a look at the way the Log On page is coded and have removed/renamed anything that could possibly make LastPass think that there is another password field there for the Memorable Phrase. See if that helps please.

Also note that there is a problem with the current way of detecting resyncs. Some are being missed. I've coded a new way of doing it that solves the problem but need to find a way to get this into the existing page code. Hope it doesn't do what happened during original testing when I woke up to find every user had had a resync every minute all through the night after 00:00....  ???
Tony
My Books!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2014, 11:01:36 PM »

thanks, I will check if its my browser expiring the cookies.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »

Mine expired tonight...  which is the 2nd expiry since I began using it.   

Ive struggled both times to re-login. Couldnt recall my password -grr damn hyphen - then forgot my memorable phrase.  and by gawdd I cant tell you the number of times I refreshed the capcha either  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2014, 04:42:48 AM »

:) kitz

as it so happens When I clicked continue my cookies were working, which is good but I had noticed I only set to allow mydslwebstats.co.uk cookies whilst www. was session only, so now both on full allow.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:48 AM »

:) kitz

as it so happens When I clicked continue my cookies were working, which is good but I had noticed I only set to allow mydslwebstats.co.uk cookies whilst www. was session only, so now both on full allow.
Sorry I forgot some browsers need both the root domain AND the www sub-domain to be treated separately. I've updated the original suggestion in this thread to add both. Thanks.
Tony
My Books!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 129

anything