Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 slow  (Read 2839 times)

yunsux

• Just arrived
HG612 slow
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:29:35 AM »

Just setup HG612 on adsl+ line. It is slower than the Zyxel I was using before it by a few hundred kb/s. It reports the line speed as:

Attainable rate (kbit/s)   11956   984

All modulation modes are enabled, anything else that can be done?

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 slow
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »

Suggest wait !

Interrupting the connection can degrade speed by more than your few percent.
 If you are impatient, try an  on/off when the S/N in high.( Only once in 24 hrs !)

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »

Got any specifics? :)

However, I am not surprised.

Were you experiencing any difficulties on the line which prompted the move to the HG612? I suspect it's no coincidence we have access to the QLN and the HLOG on the HG... I guess it uses this info to decide how many bits it can reliably load.

I've no idea what ZyXEL modems do but in my experience, they appear to synch for 'best case' conditions, not what the line can reliably do.

You can probably eek some more speed out of it by playing with the SNRM if you're happy it's uber stable.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:07:13 PM »

I suspect it's no coincidence we have access to the QLN and the HLOG on the HG... I guess it uses this info to decide how many bits it can reliably load.

This information is available from the ZyXel too. 

Obviously it depends on the model and chipset, but the ZyXel VMG8324 with a BCM63168 chipset gives me a better max sync speed than the HG612.  Its possibly the adsl_phy version (039) in these routers that gives it the slight edge.   Theres a post somewhere on these forums where someone was able to take the adsl_phy and use it with another router make to gain an immediate 10Mbps.   I believe some on here were attempting to do the same with the HG612 but it didnt work because it was a slightly different chipset. 

Les probably knows more about that...  unfortunately he didnt fare too well with his Zyxel though. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

yunsux

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »

Zyxel was actually a backup modem I was using as Cisco went wonky. They both had faster speeds than HG. I switched to HG as hoping to get FTTC activated soon and wanted a permanent box to save me swapping out Zyxel later. I expected HG to act the same, but perhaps I should have just waited.

I have tried resetting a few times today and current reset was with a slightly higher sync. Speed is the same at the moment but can certainly see if there is any improvement.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »

I suspect it's no coincidence we have access to the QLN and the HLOG on the HG... I guess it uses this info to decide how many bits it can reliably load.

This information is available from the ZyXel too. 

I was thinking more along the lines of the P660 / 1302. The crap ones, basically :P

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:01:49 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines of the P660 / 1302. The crap ones, basically

haha, thats unfair and like comparing with a Huawei MT882/HG520.   :)

Its only relaively recently that some routers make this info actually available.
Theres also several routers that do have this ability to output hlog and qln, as its required as part of the ITU-T standard that was amended for VDSL.  Its just that some manufacturers choose to not make this information available to the EU :(  Theres likely one heck of a lot more that our routers could tell us about our line but dont.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything