Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ongoing but intermittent loss of sync/poor performance  (Read 8041 times)

Sebby

Re: Ongoing but intermittent loss of sync/poor performance
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »

I awoke to a text message from Sky to say that they'd fixed the fault. I checked the router and noticed it was now sync'd at over 16Mb with a 3.1dB margin. One other issue I've been experiencing this week is that all incoming calls have a caller ID of "out of area". No doubt related to the general strangeness. I checked the caller ID and this issue at least still remains.

Shortly after I had a call from the customer solutions team at Sky to confirm. The guy I spoke to wasn't overly interested in this and didn't believe it was at all related. We couldn't troubleshoot anyway because BT's equipment is down today. Perhaps it will be fine tomorrow, but I'm unconvinced. We shall see.

I pressed for information on what had been done, which was no easy task. Eventually he said that BT had been running an intermittent line test, and this would have involved resetting the exchange port, which seems to have sorted it.

Time will tell, but what he did say is they've set my line to the profile for highest performance as the quality is so good, and they are seeing no errors at all. This is great, but let's hope the strangeness with the voice side of things is sorted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »

Nice!

Sebby

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »

Unfortunately I don't think things are sorted. Certainly I haven't had any speed issues since the engineer came, but I'm still getting disconnects and caller display showing all calls as out of area. The target margin has now pushed up to 7dB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Sebby

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 10:40:29 AM »

It's been a while since I last posted. Things seemed to settle down; the phone and caller display issues disappeared and the connection was rock solid and fast. This morning, after an uptime of around 800 hours or so, I had a disconnect, and the new session was painfully slow (though the sync speed was fine). Pings were 250ms+ and there was a lot of packet loss. Soon after the router lost sync again and then struggled to reconnect (took over 5 minutes).

I'm currently on the phone to Sky. Having been asked to run through a number of mindless tasks (clearing cookies for one!) they are finally escalating it again.

I have to say I am wondering whether this will ever get sorted. :(
Using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 [3]