Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: £3000 Connection Vouchers  (Read 7437 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
£3000 Connection Vouchers
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »

This maybe of some use to someone. ?.

https://www.connectionvouchers.co.uk/

There is a good list of suppliers but for me the nearest ones are 10 mile away.

https://www.connectionvouchers.co.uk/derby/registered-suppliers-in-derby/

My connection is still a business one and the nearest fibre way is about a mile from our village, I'am still trying to find a supplier who could connect us up with FTTP.  ;)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: £3000 Connection Vouchers
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:02:36 AM »

I may have missed something.  But our local radio station always seems to be running ads for this super fast broadband scheme with a connection grant for small to medium businesses.  The thing that struck me is that if you weren't served by a cab locally, then the really only viable option was to use the voucher for a leased line. 

So it could save a few quid for those that could get fttc - which considering that the scheme is only available in large towns or cities then they are likely to be already served (save a few Sheffield areas due to DR failure), in which case I feel it is a waste of public funds just so the gov can shout about a scheme...  Or you get a leased line, whereby the grant would come in useful, but the monthly ongoing costs won't be cheap.   It would be interesting to know just how much of tp this public funding was used to get Fibre on demand.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »

I may have missed something.  But our local radio station always seems to be running ads for this super fast broadband scheme with a connection grant for small to medium businesses.  The thing that struck me is that if you weren't served by a cab locally, then the really only viable option was to use the voucher for a leased line. 

So it could save a few quid for those that could get fttc - which considering that the scheme is only available in large towns or cities then they are likely to be already served (save a few Sheffield areas due to DR failure), in which case I feel it is a waste of public funds just so the gov can shout about a scheme...  Or you get a leased line, whereby the grant would come in useful, but the monthly ongoing costs won't be cheap.   It would be interesting to know just how much of tp this public funding was used to get Fibre on demand.

Get the boot in why don't yer... :D

Only kidding.. :flower:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »

I know  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »

Well at least I have an internet connection even though it is on ADSL and being with AAisp is the best isp I have been with,their attention to detail is unbelievable.Every tiny detail is planned and available to view online,from your connection details,usage,billing,its all there in your own portal.You can contact them via telephone,email,Twitter on their own online chat.Whichever you chose they reply very promptly.
Yes they aren't cheap but I personally am prepared to pay that bit extra to get top class support.Hopefully FTTC will come our way some time soon but I would still be hard pressed to leave AAisp and go back to a big isp with awful support.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:23:16 PM »

Just a couple of quick queries, Uncle, from a curious kitteh . . .

What are you currently using in the way of a modem/router? Did A&A provide you with any specific equipment, like a Firebrick, for example?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »

Just a couple of quick queries, Uncle, from a curious kitteh . . .

What are you currently using in the way of a modem/router? Did A&A provide you with any specific equipment, like a Firebrick, for example?

Yes they did Mr B-Cat....A Technicolor 582 DSL/WAN/LAN/WiFi/IPv4/IPv6 router foc...You can buy those mentioned Firebricks but they are expensive,on their website £600 and £900 each.. :o

http://www.aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:16:24 PM by UncleUB »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 10:32:03 PM »

Interesting, thank you.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 01:28:26 AM »

...A Technicolor 582 DSL/WAN/LAN/WiFi/IPv4/IPv6 router foc...

FYI, I think you'll find a lot of us are familiar with those routers as they were supplied by Be/O2 and are still supplied by Plusnet and Zen to name a few.
Its better known as the TG582n if you want any info or instructions on it :)
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »

...A Technicolor 582 DSL/WAN/LAN/WiFi/IPv4/IPv6 router foc...

FYI, I think you'll find a lot of us are familiar with those routers as they were supplied by Be/O2 and are still supplied by Plusnet and Zen to name a few.
Its better known as the TG582n if you want any info or instructions on it :)

Thanks Kitz  :)

I can log in to the Technicolor Gateway and see my line stats etc.Not sure if there is any room for improvement,but I'm guessing if there is it will only be minimal and could make my line unstable.

DSL Connection   

Link Information

Uptime:   17 days, 0:42:50

DSL Type:   ITU-T G.992.3

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   710 / 2,748

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]:   1.96 / 4.95

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.4 / 17.8

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   41.0 / 67.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   8.0 / 4.9

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   BDCM / GSPN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   26 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   8 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   32,883 / 4

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   55,468 / 4,147,219

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   18,058 / 30,788

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   19,401 / 137,356

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »

From what I can see no there isnt any :(

The DLM has already applied interleaving in an attempt to keep your line as stable as possible.

You may be interested in erics DSLstats program to monitor your line, which works well with the TG582n :)
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »

From what I can see no there isnt any :(

The DLM has already applied interleaving in an attempt to keep your line as stable as possible.

You may be interested in erics DSLstats program to monitor your line, which works well with the TG582n :)

I  see graphs in my online portal which are supplied by Firebrick constant monitoring which shows latency etc,would that be similar to what you are talking about.
One thing about AAisp is they monitor your line and keep an eye on things,plus you can change things yourself via your own portal,you can set your own profile,etc.
As I wouldn't see much difference no matter what things I would change I just leave it to AAisp who know a bit more about broadband than I do.. ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »

That's probably sensible. You're paying for a first class service, and it sounds as though you're getting it.
  Eric

anything