Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Line Rental Increases  (Read 3217 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
BT Line Rental Increases
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:40:22 AM »

So what’s new this time around? Firstly BT’s standard Phone Line Rental charge will rise by 6.25% from £15.99 per month to reach £16.99. The cost of calls will also rise by around 6.44% and broadband prices will go up by a similar amount, although prices for existing bundles should be honoured.

In addition, BT recently confirmed (here) that the cost of their BTSport TV service for non-BT broadband customers would rise from £12 to £13.50 per month from 1st October 2014

History of BT Phone Line Rental Rises
2011 = £13.90
2012 = £14.60
2013 = £15.45
2014 = £15.99
2015 (Dec 2014) = £16.99

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/08/bt-raise-broadband-phone-prices-holiday-helps-bury-bad-news.html

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Line Rental Increases
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »

Unless Im imagining it, I thought increases usually occurred at the beginning of the year.   Is this an additional one?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 10:41:55 AM »

Unless Im imagining it, I thought increases usually occurred at the beginning of the year.   Is this an additional one?

The article says from December so I'm guessing its their annual one.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »

Very annoying.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:19:31 PM »

2nd in 2014.

as ignition said on tbb, the major isp's effectively are a cartel on line rental.

in my opinion really ofcom needs to step in as the increases in terms of % are steep and getting more frequent now, not even waiting 12 months.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »

BT has a new toy called BT Sports and that new toy has cost a lot of money.Trouble is those who don't play with that new toy still have to contribute towards.. :mad:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:56:19 PM »

The article says from December so I'm guessing its their annual one.

I just did a very quick check..   It was previously always around Mar/Apr.   Up until 2011 when they had 2 prices rises in the same year and it now tends to be Dec/Jan

BT has a new toy called BT Sports and that new toy has cost a lot of money.Trouble is those who don't play with that new toy still have to contribute toward

Agree.  I dont have the slightest interest in BT Sport nor their other bolt ons such as BT Cloud. So obviously all will be paying for that.   

No doubt the other ISPs will soon follow suite.  Will be interesting to see how much they increase their charges by, when they dont have to recover the huge cost of BTSport.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »

I'm sure glad I switched over to Zen's line rental, a bargain at the moment, hopefully it won't increase by much (if it does follow BT's increase). I, like many others I'm sure, aren't happy in passively contributing to services such as BT Sports which I don't have an interest in, though I'm sure BT will deny that any line rental increases are contributing to things other than what it's meant for :P. I'm still waiting to get a partial refund from BT Business as they've overcharged me by a month :(.