Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Orange Livebox  (Read 4324 times)

GT

Orange Livebox
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:49:42 AM »

I have an Orange Livebox and Im connected to it via ethernet cable as Im not wireless enabled. Can anyone tell me how I can disconnect from the internet, as Im always on at the moment. Also, there is a firewall in the livebox so which is best, the livebox firewall or my software one?

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Orange Livebox
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »

Stay connected and just turn off you computer but leave the Livebox switched on at the mains. This allows it to get any downloads from Orange which they send out during the night mainly.
As for Firewalls, the router firewall (in Livebox) is OK but you should also have a software one on your PC.
dave

GT

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:39:20 PM »

Cheers for that. What about if I open the Livebox config screen and in the internet options I disconnect? My pc is on most of the time you see

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 10:41:40 PM »

>> Cheers for that. What about if I open the Livebox config screen and in the internet options I disconnect?

A router is designed to be on 24/7, therefore it doesnt harm to keep it on.  In fact over the past nearly 5 years my router of one sort or other has always been connected. 

Depends on the "disconnect" in the router.. I dont personally know about the livebox since its not one Ive owned..  but a point worth making is that when you disconnect on some routers, you are only stopping the PPP session - which is the bit that connects you to the ISP.  Total disconnection is normally indicated by the green dsl (sync) light going off.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GT

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:51:30 AM »

Im just looking to disconnect it from the internet and not turn the livebox off altogether. If its online but Im not actually browsing the net, will it run up any internet usage? I dont want to fall foul of the fair usage policy if I leave it connected

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »

You'll get tiny amounts of data transfer when you're not using the internet, but not enough to impact on your usage allowances.
  Eric

GT

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 09:36:25 AM »

Thanks for that