Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Local Exchange Upgrading and Loss of ATM  (Read 1659 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Local Exchange Upgrading and Loss of ATM
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:21:16 PM »

Thought this may be of interest. Over the last few days I have had problems with my ADSL2+ system. Intermittently although retaining sync with the exchange in both directions the TP582 router has lost its internet light and no connection to the internet. This eventually became permanent. More investigation showed there was no ATM detected. After playing about and restarting the 582 a few times I connected a BT2700 I have used before and that showed the same thing. After about 24 hours it all sprang into life again. This morning I put the 582 back and eventually it too gave me internet connectivity.

The local exchange I'm sure is being upgraded for "superfast"  ("Coming soon" and "September 2014" on the "Where and When site") and there is a proliferation of OR vans in the area presumably pulling in fibre. I eventually managed to speak to Plusnet, my ISP, just now and they could see the historic losses of connection on my line but told me there was no way to confirm it was an exchange fault although they thought it was likely in view of the exchange upgrading. They also said that BT did not tell them if their upgrading work had produced faults (although I suspect they know they have caused problems when they fix them).

Because Plusnet's help line has long waiting times it is very difficult to contact them to check with BT at the time of the fault. Altogether a very frustrating state of affairs. I'm sure our resident BT engineers will say these things happen when work such as this upgrading occurs and as an old retired electronics maintenance man I agree but in the broadcasting business I was in, any loss of programmes required the viewers/listenners to be informed. BT don't do that, yet another reason to add support to the poor opinion most have of BT. Sorry about the rant but I feel better now!
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Local Exchange Upgrading and Loss of ATM
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:07:17 PM »

I reported similar when they installed FTTC around here.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=11701.msg224287#msg224287

I had odd outages and weird changes occur, but the longest period was several hours.  The same morning that I had no nettage I had to go out.. and happened to spot a BTOR man and van playing with the newly installed cabs.  I stopped and took a couple of photos.   It was a few more months though before it became available... cant recall the actual time-frame as I didnt get it straight away.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »

The FTTC cabling work produced some significant telephone outages round here, including my next door neighbours who lost their telephone connection for nearly a week. Part of the repair work necessitated closing the road for three days while they dug it up to get at the faults, which had been caused by the FTTC cabling contractors.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »

Thanks both for your comments and the link Kitz. I suppose it's inevitable there will be some disruption and it will all be lovely and super fast in due course. I just wish I could call someone to confirm the problem is at the exchange when it happens. At least in my case the phone would still work and let me make calls.
Tony

anything