Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 as router with block of IPs  (Read 1685 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
HG612 as router with block of IPs
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »

I have temporarily had to downgrade to ADSL and am having major problems getting the HG612 to work in this configuration.

I have a block of IP addresses with Zen so set my configuration to have the HG612 be a router with NAT disabled and port binding on LAN1.  Then my router is connected to LAN1 with the IP the HG612 has gotten over PPP as the gateway.  Unfortunately, the HG612 does not seem to be routing that connection out LAN1 as I would expect.

So I tried the old "set HG612 to EoATM" trick so that my router could establish the PPP connection, that won't work either.

The ONLY way that seems to work is using the HG612 in NAT mode or by setting the HG612 LAN to one of the Zep IP addresses and using THAT as the default gateway.  Of course that also opens up telnet and http to the whole web unless I block myself out of the HG612 completely and it would suck as I then lose stats and have to restore factory settings if I ever want to change anything.

This is hugely annoying as I have extensive monitoring and a ton of static IP addresses defined on my router.  I had expected this configuration to just work.  Isn't the whole point of binding things to LAN ports so you CAN do this without putting the whole router on the WAN?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG612 as router with block of IPs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »

Two quick comments (as my meal is ready and nobody should ever get between a kitteh and its food bowl):
  • Have you loaded the latest updated firmware (unlocked by Wolfy) to the HG612?
  • What you intend to do seems to be perfectly feasible but I currently do not have a HG612 in use so as to check the configuration.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »

Been trying to download the new firmware but all I'm getting on Mega is "Temporary error, retrying".  Its been like that all evening even earlier when I were on a FON connection (a FON connection faster than my current ADSL as its someone on Infinity).

I have managed to get it working with the router doing the PPP connection.    When configured for PPPoE port binding DOES work, it bridges eth0.5 (LAN1) to atm1_1, which is what you would expect to happen.

Apparently the key thing I missed that I REALLY didn't think would make any difference is encapsulation MUST be LLC, when set to VCMUX no traffic was passing over the bridge.  I don't remember that being a stipulation on my old Netgear but its been a while.

A not so exhaustive test (traceroute) seems to imply it shaves 5ms off the latency having PPP done on my Atom rather than the HG612, but it could be coincidence.

Bottom line, with the HG612 doing the ppp, port binding seems to be broken.  I also never managed to get plain routing working with the block of IPs either.  Its not so bad as I was more thinking I was going to use them for multi-NAT/multi-DMZ anyway.

Interestingly, my connection started on G.DMT at around 4000/800 but after rebooting earlier it swapped to ADSL2+ at 3829/588 with my SNR looking dangerously low at 4.6/3 and falling.  Bummer, I used to push 5500/1000 on Be, I guess crosstalk has really become an issue in the meantime.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:15:33 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »

As a temporary measure (for the next 24 hours) I have made the bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_Webgui firmware image available for download.  :)

Once you have the firmware updated, I'll suggest using ADSL2 mode as you are never going to exceed 8 Mbps DS.

Like UncleUB, are you are victim of the failure of the "Digital Region"?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.