Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: This Is Getting Boring Now......  (Read 3855 times)

GunJack

• Reg Member
This Is Getting Boring Now......
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »

Sooooo.....FTTC been running for a few weeks now on TT 40/2 service and thought I'd share a few observations....

1. sync is a solid 39998/2000, with "noise safety coefficient" around 18-20dB up & down.  :)
2. wired speedtests on tbb coming in at circa 36/1.88 down/up, latency <20ms.    :)
3. wifi shows circa 18/1.88 down/up, latency circa 28-32ms.   :)
4. wifi range very good, even though using G-only to cover all devices.   :)
5. no drop-outs observed    :)

6. HG635 "super router" is more locked down than a locked-down thing, can't even find isp logon details in the UI   :(
7. now on fastpath, some page-loading issues on occasion    :(
8. No decent stats/graphs !!!!     :(
9. can't afford to buy unlockable router/modem, so 8. will be ongoing for a long time   :(

Question - on adsl2+ I was on d/stream interleaving @ 64 depth, but never had page-loading problems and latency wasn't too bad, usually around 38-42ms. If I ask TT to put me on an interleaved profile:-
a. would they, as the line's stable?
b. anyone care to estimate the effect on ping & sync if they did?
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

boost

• Reg Member
Re: This Is Getting Boring Now......
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:41:01 PM »

From what you've posted, your issue is not line related so applying line based fixes is unlikely to improve your situation and personally, I would never opt to interleave a line that was fastpath capable! :)

You may have a DNS issue or perhaps you were/are being affected by this internet blip that hit some of the bigger providers.

As an aside, TT appear to have generic auth details for ADSL, FTTC *may* be similar?

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »

hmmm...DNS issues had crossed my mind, re-running DNSBench is on my list of things to do :) I wondered about the interleaving as when on adsl for a brief time I went fastpath and had similar issues, so went back to interleaving. Tiscali and TT (on LLU at least) both had ISP username/password, so unless something has changed, would have thought it'd still apply...maybe not needed as it's through BT kit on FTTC....

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 05:00:56 PM »

Yeh, good point.

It was TT LLU I last tried it on!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:35:22 PM »

7. now on fastpath, some page-loading issues on occasion   

That may be related to this - BGP - Internet Problems.
The ISPs are remaining strangely quiet on this issue and its not even hit the mainstream media yet, although news is slowly trickling through via some of the technical sites. Even if the issue is 'fixed' and you can reach sites again, latency along some routes is still rather slow.   This is because the quick fix on Cisco routers was to do an amendment in the software which will still be causing those routers to work hard.   Rumours are that some routes may remain slow for a while.   Ive seen certain sites slower than normal to load today.

Question - on adsl2+ I was on d/stream interleaving @ 64 depth, but never had page-loading problems and latency wasn't too bad, usually around 38-42ms.

No
1) With FTTC the DLM is BTOpenreach's DLM and not TT's.   BToR doesnt give the ISP any control over interleaving.
2) Its difficult to say without seeing stats such as CRCs and SES but I doubt that this would be the cause of slow surfing.
Oops sorry going to stop there.. was going to suggest DNS, but I see boost got there first and with the current internet issues.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:43:03 AM »

7. now on fastpath, some page-loading issues on occasion   

That may be related to this - BGP - Internet Problems.
The ISPs are remaining strangely quiet on this issue and its not even hit the mainstream media yet, although news is slowly trickling through via some of the technical sites. Even if the issue is 'fixed' and you can reach sites again, latency along some routes is still rather slow.   This is because the quick fix on Cisco routers was to do an amendment in the software which will still be causing those routers to work hard.   Rumours are that some routes may remain slow for a while.   Ive seen certain sites slower than normal to load today.

Question - on adsl2+ I was on d/stream interleaving @ 64 depth, but never had page-loading problems and latency wasn't too bad, usually around 38-42ms.

No
1) With FTTC the DLM is BTOpenreach's DLM and not TT's.   BToR doesnt give the ISP any control over interleaving.
2) Its difficult to say without seeing stats such as CRCs and SES but I doubt that this would be the cause of slow surfing.
Oops sorry going to stop there.. was going to suggest DNS, but I see boost got there first and with the current internet issues.

thanks kitz, this could indeed be an issue, the chineese sites I use for my e-cig supplies have been poor, along with the MSE forum..the joys of random effect  :(

btw, re-ran DNSBench, and now using one opal and one OpenDNS servers as primary/secondary, but something interesting came out of re-testing...the TT Huawei hg635 super router tested as not being 100% reliable at resolving addresses - never seen that before on my trusty D-Link adsl kit, any ideas why that may be, a possible side effect of the above maybe?

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »

What's the HG635 like in general? What chipset etc, out of interest?

Seems odd you'd fail a DNS test when the HG is merely forwarding the DNS stuff, same as every other packet? I will give that program a shot when I get a chance, sounds interesting.

Unrelated really but I'm not a fan of the Dlink they provide for ADSL connections. It's probably excellent on a good line but for mine it was synching way too high (and managing to get better latency across the path somehow) but then generating 30k HECs up and down every other day and giving me the 'red light'. It's now been demoted to wireless only duties :P

I wonder what they'd send out to replace it.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:16:21 PM »

boost, the 635 is I believe a BCM chipset, roseway may be able to confirm which one (I'm sure I've read it on here somewhere).

As to ADSL, I've never used an ISP-supplied router, all my D-Link 2640B's have been retail, and bloody great they have been on my line for the last 6 years. DMT, Routerstats, and probably DSLStats will work with them (with some tweaks depending on which fw in the router). It's just a shame I can't use them now on FTTC :( however, so far the hg635 seems to be doing ok (see above) despite it being a typically ISP-locked down fw  >:(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 07:26:08 AM »

I don't know for sure which BCM chipset is used by the HG635, but my guess would be the BCM63168 SoC. The early test versions of the HG635 had working telnet interfaces, and DSLstats could be configured to work with them. But since the release they've been locked down. Hopefully someone might find a way to crack them.
  Eric

anything