Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sharks and Internet cables.  (Read 7322 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
Sharks and Internet cables.
« on: August 16, 2014, 06:19:43 AM »

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/390301/the-long-history-of-protecting-internet-cables-from-sharks

This article states that fibre cables have a larger external electric field than copper cables. This is contrary to my understanding on security and susceptibility to interference, unless it is talking about FO cables AND repeaters ?   

Can anyone throw any light ?

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Sharks and Internet cables.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »

Hi

Can anyone throw any light ?
;D ;D

In the comments on the pcpro article someone mentions electricity supply for repeaters (evey ~100Km)

Ian

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »

Thanks.  The comments about supply cables along the FO cable make sense of it now, although the author's comment that she doesn't care about grammar doesn't inspire confidence in her accuracy either.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »

The author (Jane McCallion) didn't make any comments about her grammar, it was curiousclive that didn't care about his grammar. The funny thing is that BornOnTheCusp who complained about the grammar then managed to post a sentence that was clearly wrong "Thanks for your comment, which you have the make."
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 03:13:08 PM »

That's right, and there was nothing much wrong with the grammar in the article anyway. The points made by the self-appointed Grammar Police were not grammatical errors at all - they were old-fashioned pedantry which has long been dismissed as nonsense.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 11:19:20 PM »

Interesting article, including the video of the shark having a good chomp on the cable.

The points made by the self-appointed Grammar Police were not grammatical errors at all

I too found it highly amusing when the same self appointed grammar police, wrote a sentence with 2 typos in it.  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker