Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: R.I.P Digital Region  (Read 1669 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
R.I.P Digital Region
« on: August 15, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »

At around 25 minutes past midnight this morning the Digital Region Network was switched off.It has been a very costly exercise with losses exceeding £100 million.
Who is to blame for the failure?..Well when  it started (and even now)there are thousands of people across South Yorkshire who have never heard of Digital Region or any of the isps who were under its umbrella.They should have mail dropped every home in South Yorkshire where Digital Region FTTC was available and done more to let people know what was available and who the isps were.
I was with an isp called Origin broadband.They were excellent when I joined but the last few months there credentials have plummeted due to not keeping people informed of the Digital Region closure and what now was available to them,offering different prices and plans to different users.They constantly removed posts on their Facebook page if anyone complained or spoke out against the company.
Even ispreview ran an article a couple of days back about the number of complaints

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/08/origin-broadband-fail-give-30-days-notice-digital-region-closure.html

I have already left the company as I had no alternative to go back to ADSL,which on my line means under 3mb.I have gone with AAISP.Not the cheapest but the efficiency of this company is just amazing.From the moment I presented them with my MAC they kept me informed every step of the way.The day I went live was nothing more than a tiny blip,my connection went down and by the time I had disconnected the old equipment and connected the new router I was back online.You have your own online portal where you can see all your line stat graphs,usage,billing etc.
Its a real shame that DR has gone,it was excellent while it lasted,I have now gone back from just over 23mb downstream 9mb upstream to 2.8mb downstream and 0.70mb upstream.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: R.I.P Digital Region
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »

So, a good system which they failed to promote. What a shame. :(
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »

I was with an isp called Origin broadband.  They were excellent when I joined but the last few months there credentials have plummeted...

I saw someone else say similar last night and complain that nothing had gone the way it had been promised...  they are also now looking to migrate.
Shame really.. it should have been so good,
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:29:48 AM »

Thinkbroadband are now carrying an article about Origin broadband.They are going to have to go a long way to get customers to sign up with them after this debacle

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6598-origin-fails-to-migrate-customers-away-from-digital-region-before-it-closes.html