Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC degradation help please  (Read 4133 times)

sammyelrefee

• Just arrived
FTTC degradation help please
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »

Hi guys, I would like to request a bit of help. I have been on fttc 80/20 for a few years now. It had stabilised at 70/20 and had been that way since the start. In May we had a crackly line fault which was reported and fixed. However, it appears that since this has been done. My sync has plummeted to around 40000 exactly sometimes pushing up to 48999 and 53999 Both values I expect as a result of the different DLM bands 20-40 and 25-49  and 27-54 respectively. DLM resets have been initiated 4 times  and the 70 sync returns but the problem persists. I have attached some DSLstats from my unlocked HG612 which I hope will help someone pick something out!! Thanks a lot!! I will have to make more posts with all attachments

sammyelrefee

• Just arrived
Re: FTTC degradation help please
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »

2nd post with attachments!

sammyelrefee

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »

3rd  :)
Thanks in advance!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 01:57:31 AM »

Hi sammy and welcome.

Im bumping this is the hope that others may have some thing to add, because Im not quite sure what to make of them.

Im not happy about the dip in your bitloading at tones around 300 - these are tones that can be affected by adsl2+ crosstalk but it seems rather steep.  You hlog looks quite normal.

QLN can be used to help diagnose crosstalk, and you also have signs of the same tones being affected...  but rather than a bump shape which Id expect to see for crosstalk... instead its a decline then jump back up... plus a few spikes.

TBH Id like to see whats happening with your SNRMargin.
To me, of all the graphs this is most likely to be the most telling on whats going on for a line.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 04:04:25 PM »

I've taken a look at the graphs and I can't see anything that definitely stands out as a problem.  :no:

The V-shaped notch that we see in the first DS band is surely nothing more than PSD cutback to avoid "knocking out" the weaker ADSL(2(+)) signals in other pairs that transit via the same PCP?  :-\

Like Kitz, I think the best thing would be for you to monitor your SNRM over (at least) a 24 hour period. The graph so produced may then give us some form of clue as to what is occurring with your line.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sammyelrefee

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and replies. I will get a 24hr graph in production now so expect me around this time tomorrow!
Thanks!`

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 12:32:41 PM »

The longer the monitoring period the better.

That way, patterns of disturbance/interference and even one-off and/or sporadic incidents are recorded & can, on some occasions, be used as evidence of a line 'fault' that quick engineer or remote BT/ISP tests don't always capture.

The xx999 values you have reported do indeed suggest DLM intervention, so 'something' does appear to be impacting on your line's stability.

Increased crosstalk as more users have been connected over a period of time could be the cause though, rather than an actual line 'fault'.

sammyelrefee

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »

I will upload graphs tonight! Should be interesting as BTOR out of the blue had disconnected line at cab and done pair quality tests on both D and E sides. Reported 85db E side and 65db D side. He reset DLM and also did us a favour and removed a defunct dropwire from the pole! Credit to him!! This is the first DLM reset since installing a MK2 so hopefully syncs will stay high. Currently 68 down interleave off!! :)
Be back soon!!

sammyelrefee

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »

Hi, back earlier than expected. DSLstats had crashed closed itself. I have attached some graphs!!
Have also sync limited myself to 55mb down in the hope of keeping interleave away and reduce them pesky CRC
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:05:53 PM by sammyelrefee »

Semmy

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »

The three noise peaks between tones 200 and 300 seem to be a similar pattern to the ones I had established as RFI from a radio transmitter based near Huddersfield.
Ideal Epitaph - "I knew I shouldn't have pressed that button"

sammyelrefee

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »

Nearly 4 years later and the problem is still ongoing. Thankfully changes in the selling of broadband mean I have a guranteed minimum line speed of 49 so as such when it syncs below its easier then ever to get an engineer out hehe.
At sync at 35 and 14.5 Up. Getting worse eh. No one has ever found out what it is yet. Anyone ever had anything similar??