Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Using The Floppy Drive.  (Read 3406 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Using The Floppy Drive.
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:50:44 PM »

I want to understand how to use the 'Floppy Drive' to transfer files from one computer to another (Both PCLos).
I have read your comments in your 'Linux Tutorial 6 ' Eric, and tried to understand the files system for Linux.

I have right clicked on the desktop, go to Create New->link to device->Floppy.  option to select your floppy drive.
Then put in    /dev/fd0  click OK.

Rebooted.
I put a floppy in with some old files on it, clicked on it and got this.
"The desktop entry file
/home/myname/Desktop/%2fdev%2ffd0
is of type FSDevice but has no Dev=... entry."

What does this mean ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On one computer I have downloaded via synaptic Firefox 3 (NOTE if you want to save your downloads when using synaptic you must go to the properties tab and change to NOT delete the file when closing )

I went to /var/cache/apt/archives folder and found my FF3 file , Right click >send to (I was looking for the floppy drive)   /dev/floppy.

But it did not work .
Help.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Using The Floppy Drive.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:16:42 AM »

OK, I have found out the first part . here goes.

Right click, anywhere on the desktop. From the pop up menu, choose Create New --> Link to Device --> Floppy Device...
Click the "Device" tab, then the "down arrow" next to the box, and select "/dev/fd0 (/mnt/floppy)". Click OK.
You should now have a floppy icon on your desktop.

"ALWAYS unmount the floppy drive, and wait until the light stops blinking, before ejecting the floppy.

Right click on the floppy icon to mount/unmount.

To test I put a floppy in with some old bookmarks on it--> clicked on it and it opens up.. read the contents ok.

Now to find out how to transfer these files in my first post.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Using The Floppy Drive.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:07:43 AM »

Once the floppy is mounted you can just use Konqueror to drag files to it. Put the disk in the drive, click the floppy icon to open a window on it, open another copy of Konqueror and navigate to the directory containing the files you want to transfer, then drag from one to the other.

If you use a new unformatted floppy you'll need to format it before mounting it. There are several floppy formatting programs, but Kfloppy is as good as any, and should be available from the menu.

Eric

anything