Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Re-Installing PCLinux To A Faster Machine.  (Read 5169 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re-Installing PCLinux To A Faster Machine.
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »

I decided to try PCLinux on a faster machine (Pentium 4, 1.8MHz 38 gig HDD, 525 Mb Ram) and I'm half way through the install .
Running the live CD on this machine is a lot better with no issues with missing icons (I think that was not enough Ram ) Also the audio has been detected ok.

Because I'm running out of my ISP download limit this month I do not want to download again the 606Mb of upgrades so can I transfer them from the other machine I installed to the other day.
Q1..Do you know were they are stored, and can I just copy them over and somehow install them ?.

Ps It's just finished the HDD install and it all looks ok.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Re-Installing PCLinux To A Faster Machine.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:15:31 PM »

I'm afraid I don't know where the upgrade downloads are stored in PCLinuxOS. On this Debian system they are in /var/cache/apt/archives, and I guess it will be somewhere similar for PCLOS.
  Eric

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »

Given that the other machine was well b0rked I think you'd be better leaving this until you can download them again.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 05:18:15 PM »

Given that the other machine was well b0rked I think you'd be better leaving this until you can download them again.

Why ? If I can find where the upgrades are stored I could transfer them to the new Machine.  (helps to pass away dark winter nights  ;) )

The other machine was not a good enough spec, maybe I should have tried 'Pclinux Tinyme' on that . (I may do that ).

http://www.mypclinuxos.com/doku.php/tinyme:home
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »

If I were you then I wouldn't have any confidence that the upgrades were correct given that the base install quite obviously wasn't correct. Your choice  though :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 10:22:23 PM »

If I were you then I wouldn't have any confidence that the upgrades were correct given that the base install quite obviously wasn't correct. Your choice  though :)

I have use the same Live CD to install on the new (faster) machine with no problems.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 12:15:03 AM »

NOTE if you want to save your downloads when using synaptic you must go to the properties tab and change to ' NOT delete the file when closing'  or you will loose them.
 The file folder is    /var/cache/apt/archives    folder on PCLos 2007

Hope this info will help anyone . :)