Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Talk Talk to hike line rental saver  (Read 3724 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Talk Talk to hike line rental saver
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »

New and re-contracting customers of TalkTalk who wish to benefit from the ISPs annual pre-paid line rental discount (aka – Value Line Rental) will be unhappy to learn that they’ve quietly hiked their prices and this time it’s a fairly dramatic adjustment.

In a general notice to promoters, TalkTalk has advised that the annual cost of their Value Line Rental product will be hiked to £172.20, which is the equivalent of £14.35 per month and compares with the previous equivalent of just £11.75 (total £141). This huge rise puts it only a short distance off TalkTalk’s standard monthly charge of £15.95 and thus somewhat limits the attractiveness of the offer.

Take note that for some reason TalkTalk has yet to reflect the change on their Pricing Notifications page. Unfortunately the rise, which follows hot on the heels of Virgin Media’s standalone broadband increase, won’t be the last because we’re fast approaching “that time of year” again when BT typically kicks off another round of line rental and call charge changes.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/08/uk-isp-talktalk-hikes-pre-paid-line-rental-prices-again.html#comment-146453

Talk Talk are not on their own

BT Consumer has increased its saver option from £141 to £159.84 (monthly equivalent was £11.75 and is now £13.32). Standard monthly line rental is £15.99 per month.
I guess someone has to pay for BT sports and all the overpaid pundits that go with it..
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:18:56 AM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Talk Talk to hike line rental saver
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »

I've just started a migration from TT to PlusNet, whose annual line rental charge is now £158.38. The TT charge really does look steep.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »

I've just started a migration from TT to PlusNet, whose annual line rental charge is now £158.38. The TT charge really does look steep.

It is quite an increase.. :o

I see Zen still have their line rental at £11.22 inc Vat a month..That is paying monthly not one year up front.And just a monthly contract,no big tie ins. 

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voice/phone-services.aspx

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »

Roseway,

Slight correction it is £155.88, I just joined PlusNet as well.
So not as bad as it looks, BT still dearer.

Superfast Broadband at last !!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

7 Days to go and counting .........

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:25:44 PM »

Plusnet are increasing their line rental, if you get in quick you should get it at the old price, can't remember what it is but I do need to renew mine.

Hello,

Changes to your Plusnet home phone package

On 23rd September 2014 we are making some changes to our home phone pricing and call charges. The cost of our monthly line rental is increasing to £15.99 a month. Our monthly line rental packages with inclusive calls still deliver better value than other providers including TalkTalk and Virgin1 and we continue to lead the market on customer satisfaction.2

If you currently pay for 12 months line rental in advance, we'll send you a reminder before your Line Rental Saver expires, with details on how to renew. The renewal charge after 23rd September 2014 will be £155.88, equivalent to £12.99 a month, this equates to a saving of £36 a year.

What does annoy me is that there is no option to do away with free weekend and evening calls to reduce the cost, we very rarely use land line as we all have mobiles.

Edit, current costs

Line Rental Saver is the cheapest way to pay for your home phone line rental.
Pay for 12 months line rental up front for £137.88, equivalent to £11.49 a month, compared to our usual line rental price of £14.99 a month.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:35:02 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »

Slight correction it is £155.88, I just joined PlusNet as well.

Yes, you're right. The amount I paid upfront was £158.38, but this included the first month's broadband charge of £2.50.
  Eric

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:48:37 PM »

What does annoy me is that there is no option to do away with free weekend and evening calls to reduce the cost, we very rarely use land line as we all have mobiles.

I thought the LRS did NOT include Free Weekends and Evening Calls ?

I seem to remember reading that you only got it if you paid the full price for the line rental. (Possible new T&C's from PlusNet ??)

Am I wrong ? (I hope so as it would be a nice extra even though I don't use it a lot.)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »

I think they did remove the free calls recently thinking about it, but I'm sure we get evening and weekend calls,  but perhaps because we are on an old contract,  been with plus net for over 10 years.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 05:46:48 PM »

From Memory:
The deal was if you have already got Free Calls you continue to get on renewal.
Everyone else NO Free Calls on the LRS from the time of the New Pricing (£155.88).

Not a loss as I do not use the Landline much BUT it could save you some money with low-medium usage.