Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: line sync and probale speed  (Read 13851 times)

gary

• Just arrived
line sync and probale speed
« on: September 13, 2006, 02:09:43 AM »

Hi,im nearly done with my 10 day testing period of adsl max,my stats as of now are:

atten:63

snr:5

sync:2144

(downstream)

my snr was higher than that before max but i expect it gone down due to the speed increase.My question is,my sync is 2144 and my downstream seems to have settled at 117kB/s which is near as dammit 1mb,i dont know much about syncs and overheads,but when my profile is set shouldent i be attaining 1.5mb or possibly even 2mb?

Thx for any assistance.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: line sync and probale speed
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:42:01 AM »

Well yes, you should be able to get a bit more, but Max is full of ifs and buts and nothing is certain. You may have a stuck BRAS profile limiting you to 1MBps, or there may be congestion at your exchange or something of that nature. I see that you posted your message in the small hours, when congestion shouldn't really be a problem, so your BRAS profile looks like the suspect.

I suggest that you give it a few more days, and then if nothing improves take it up with your ISP.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 11:07:06 AM »

Your profile will be based on your lowest sync speed over several days.
Therefore, although you may be syncing at 2144 presently its possible that during the past 3 days you have synced at a lower speed that has affected your bRAS profile.

Out of curiousity what speed product was you on prior to max?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gary

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 11:29:39 AM »

hi

thanks both for your replies.

As i mentioned earlier im on day 9 of my training period,so half expect to be up and down.I am lucky enough however to be infront of my pc for most of the day/night,as i work from home,and am very fanatical about my internet connection so have been monitoring it closely.

My sync has been above 2114 since near enough day 1 since it changed from 576(previously i was on 512kB fixed line,the fastest isp would let me,with a 3.76 km from exchange,as crow flies)

The only problem i have encountered over the last few days is my download speed dropping from the steady 117kB i have been getting to periods where it is only 30kB,but my line stats havent altered at all when this happens.Again im putting this down to the training period,and am just hoping my profile gets set to 1.5 to 2mb tomorrow when it ends.

2 other things i forgot to mention,my upload speed has always been steady at 45kB with a sync of 448,and ive read about the stuck bras profile scenario,but is it only fast lines with high syncs that are usually prone to stuck profiles?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:33:51 AM by gary »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:14:39 PM »

Yeah the stuck bRAS for some reason did seem to affect those that were on the better lines  - These were previous 2Mb lines that were stuck with a 2Mb bRAS profile. I believe BTw has supposedly fixed the major causes of this.

However there is the odd one or two that still creeps through.. 
One of those that I saw within the past couple of weeks was actually stuck at 512kb - which happened to be the service he was on previously.
Therefore it follows that if you had a stuck bRAS then you would also be stuck at 512kb speeds.
When you get a stuck bRAS.. your connection just continually *flatlines* at that particular speed.

Since you have been getting 117kB/s (936 kbps) which seems spot on for 1Mb.. then I dont think you have this problem.

As mentioned your bRAS profile will be taken from the lowest sync speed over the past few days.

Theres a table at the bottom of the page which shows what throughput speed you will likely get based on your minimim sync speed.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

So you can see from that if 2114 was your minimum sync speed then you would expect your throughput speed to be 1.5Mb.

If there is periods when you only get 30KB (240kbps) and this only happens during peak times, then there could be other reasons why you see these lower speeds such as contention.

If it was your bRAS limiting you to 256, then I would expect you to be limited to this 24/7 for a few days, as it will take 3 days of consistantly higher sync speeds to raise your profile back up again.

Your ISP should be able to tell you your bRAS profile.

One of the unfortunate things about maxdsl is, that BTw can drop your profile within about 75mins if you get a lower sync speed, yet it takes up to 4 days before it is raised.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

gary

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »

Ok heres my speed tests i been carrying out through the 10 day period,told you i was fanatical about my connection  :lol:

Throughout all these testsmy sync has remained over the 2110 mark and snr about 5,i hope this will give you some guide to whats going on,as i havent a clue?

and my router stats at this present time:

**1.30pm update** -back up to 117kB download speed now,so it looks completely random and contention can be ruled out maybe?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:33:10 PM by gary »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 01:39:58 PM »

hmm  due to the fact that for various times within the same day you have got speeds that are pretty poor
(31.1 kB/sec 12.01pm 12-9-06) (13.4KB 1.33pm) to good 1Mb speeds (118.1 kB/sec 5.56pm 12-9-06) and the fact that they vary throughout the day.. and that it happens on several days........
I would say that isnt down to a bRAS profile or not even max related.

If those sort of swings were happening every day as a result of something that the DLM was doing, then by now your IP profile would have kicked in and you would be limited round the clock.

Who is your ISP?
I would ask them if they can tell you your bRAS profile (IP data rate) jus to completely discount that theory and for your own curiosity....
but tbh looking at it from here, that looks like its something else that is causing those swings.... possibly even contention.......
But even that doesnt make sense because some of your better speeds are at peak time when you would expect contention to hit the hardest. Some of your worst speeds seem to be main part of the day.   ???  ???

Ive got to go out now... but if any of the other guys on here can see a pattern in those speeds or any other suggestions then please speak up.
-----

gary

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 02:01:35 PM »

Thx kitz,you been a good help so far in trying to determine the prob.

My isp is v21,and ill raise a ticket with them tomorrow after my 10 days is up,as its an easy get out clause to blame it on that and close it.

My router is a trendnet tew 435-brm..theres not much info about this on the net,apart from a lot of french sites,but i think it to be an ok kind of router with it keeping me online 24/7 for long long periods of time.

I have one bt socket in my home(master),which is an inline filter jobby,that also is about the best solution i can get i think?,with no extensions from router to box,only 1x5m rj11

theres a little more info for you guys here to digest,and ill fill you in with the probaly farsical excuse v21 give me tomorrow.

Once again thx all for helping,and ill keep you informed of what happens.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »

You can now find out your own BRAS profile speed by going to http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/ and entering your telephone number. You can only do this when connected via that telephone number. After a pause it asks you for your ADSL username, then it runs the test and gives you a report like this:

---------------------------------------------------------
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
    IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  4544 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3659 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
---------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, my profile is set at 4000 kbps.

You may have to make several attempts to get it to work, as it often gives up in the middle after a longish delay and says that the system is busy.

Eric
  Eric

gary

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 03:46:53 PM »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Results Image not loaded

IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  1152 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 922 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for that link,at least i can see im set at 1mb now?...but the question being wheres the missing 1000 from my router ds sync?,or is this normal?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 05:16:04 PM »

You can now find out your own BRAS profile speed by going to http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/ and entering your telephone number. You can only do this when connected via that telephone number. After a pause it asks you for your ADSL username, You may have to make several attempts to get it to work, as it often gives up in the middle after a longish delay and says that the system is busy.

lol..  Im glad it was you that posted that... as its meant to be "under wraps"  :D
afaik its still in beta, (- although they have amended a few things since the first version).
However it cant cope with a lot of traffic - hence why you sometimes have problems running it.
Someone's obviously leaked the info..  since I saw mention of it on another forum a couple of days ago too.
The other thing is its no good for diagnosing such things as contention, since you still pass through your ISP pipes.

But at least its a damn site more accurate than a certain LLU speedtest a few of us were testing.
Now that gave me hellishly good speeds. - 16-32 Mbps connection anyone? :lol:

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 05:24:37 PM »

I don't fully understand these figures, but I think that the "DSL connection rate" is the connection rate as given in your profile, the difference between the 1000 and 1152 being overheads. Your actual router sync rate is in effect being throttled to 1152 in the DSLAM.

After a few days of continuous sync at a higher rate your profile should reset to a higher value. If it doesn't then you'll need to ask your ISP to get it unstuck for you.

Kitz understands these things better than I do and may well tell me that I'm talking through my hat. :)

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 05:28:09 PM »

at least i can see im set at 1mb now?...but the question being wheres the missing 1000 from my router ds sync?,

A sync speed of 2144 is going to give you a bRAS IP profile of 1500.
To have a profile of 1000, all I can assume is that at some point you must have synced between 1152 and 1728 kbps.
This is one of the annoying things about IPStream dslMAX, in that even though you are now syncing at the higher speeds then you will still be rate limited to 1Mb speeds because of what must have been a lower sync speed at some point in the past few days.

Explanation of how dslMAX works.

As mentioned in one of my posts above you would have to continously sync at speeds over 1728 kbps for at least 3 days before you get a 1.5Mb profile. 
If you can get your sync speed over 2272 kbps and keep it there - then you will get a 2Mb profile.

Theres a couple of things you can try to get your SNR increased, and therefore more chance of syncing at a higher speed on my LowSNR page.
Although that was written pre-max - the same theories still apply.
-----

gary

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 05:39:13 PM »

Ok,thanks very much for this..i think this has cleared things up now.

I have put a ticket into my isp and will await a reply,and post the outcome here.

Once again thankyou for enlightening me a little,and i now have plenty to fire at my isp when the BS starts flowing tomorrow  :'(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 05:44:14 PM »

Youre quite correct roseway.

Yes the IP profile is the maximum speed that your line is likely to achieve.
One of the things that I said was it was quite confusing,
Even though my data rate as set by my ISP is 8000...  the results of "One I did earlier" was

Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 7150 k

IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4407 kbps

So you can see it rates my IP profile as 7150kbps.. which is the max speed I am ever going to see after ATM overheads if things were running full pelt on the VP and ISP level.

TBH though roseway Im still not sure quite how accurate the recorded speeds are... ( I may do some further testing when I get chance to see if it has improved)... **
But during the original testing even though I got the above results from that test..  speedtests on other speedtesters such as AG and BBMax taken at the same time - none of them gave me below 5.5Mb.
Some of the other feedback I gave was "why is it returning lower results than the *real world* speedtests?"

** Its too busy right now and I cant connect
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 05:47:35 PM by kitz »
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything