Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Droppping Connection  (Read 5322 times)

Accordion

• Reg Member
Droppping Connection
« on: September 27, 2006, 03:56:33 PM »

I went to a customer today to sort out problems with her broadband and phones.

The two main problems were: unable to connect to BB and incoming faxes are garbled since conversion to BB.

I fixed the connection problem quite quickly, just enabled the Speedtouch (from Talk Talk) modem in Zone Alarm.

Then the fun started. I discovered that if I left any phone connected, the modem woudn't connect. Rermove the phones and connection was OK, it takes about 20 seconds to establish the connection.

I can then reconnect one of the phones and it all still works.

However, the other phone is a fax and answer machine, a fairly old Phillips model. If I connect that, the BB connection is dropped. Both phones and the modem are all sharing just one standard BT socket with one ADSL splitter.

The other problem is that they are served by a split service line.

Question one:  If the line had an extension fitted and the main socket was changed to the ADSL filtered type, do you think this would resolve the problems?

Question two: Could the fax machine be incompatible with a BB line?

Question three: Would the service suffer due to being on a split line, and nothing is going to work properly?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Droppping Connection
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 04:35:58 PM »

I'm afraid I don't know what a split service line is, but the first thing I would try is a different ADSL splitter. I've recently changed over to a filtered master socket faceplate, and this certainly improved the quality of my ADSL signal, but with a single socket like your customer has, a good quality splitter would be just as good.

Eric
  Eric

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 08:07:04 AM »

I was surprised at the comment my customner had received from a BT engineer "did you know you were on a split line". In her area, there is a shortage of pairs (very rural village) and I assumed that BT must be using some new (to me) technology to maximise what they have.

From what I've read, there is only DACS and that won't work with broadband. They are also using the term for lines that have been taken over by other suppliers, in this case Talk Talk.

The problem seems to be down to line quality somewhere though, it only takes one phone to be connected and the BB connection can't be established.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 12:29:15 PM »

Im not sure what a split line is either.
Just did a google and came up with this page
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/List/current/docs/Exch_Lines.boo/14061.htm

A PSTN Split Line is a standard analogue line provided, primarily for voice services, on a metallic pair on which the high bandwidth has been rented by BT to another licensed operator (OLO) for the provision of services to the end-user.

But a bit further down it states

The following services will not be provided over PSTN split lines
- BT ADSL

However something else came up too
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=459007

Where it would indeed seem to indicate that BT are using that term to describe "LLU LINE SHARE PSTN"....
or more specifically what we know as SMPF (Line Sharing Metallic Path Facility) LLU.

So yep TT if they are using LLU at that particular exchange.

---
The symptoms you describe would seem to indicate poor filtering.

>> Could the fax machine be incompatible with a BB line?

Shouldnt make any difference, if the line was filtered correctly, since fax uses the same lower frequencies as voice.

>> Would the service suffer due to being on a split line?

In theory again, shouldnt make any difference, since it would only be the higher frequencies at the exchange that go onto the LLU DSLAM. The 2 frequencies are kept separate (at the exchange).

Is it a long line that could be suffering from low SNR problems anyway.  Therefore by plugging the modem straight in to the master socket its going to receive the best signal. The line could be so marginal that just one thing "tips the balance".
In which case yes the NTE5 adsl filtered faceplates could very well help.
I believe if you are on a long length line then normally BT will fit these for free as part of their commitment to bringing adsl to everyone. However if they still do it for free when its SMPF is another matter and I couldnt say :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 06:22:08 PM »

Thanks Kitz, I can't look for any more 'clues' unless my customer asks me back again.

Last thing I heard was they were reporting a line problem to see if BT come up with anything. I gave them a number for someone who fits extensions and broadband as well.

I've got a feeling I'll be going back ........