Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How Does This Happen ?  (Read 4140 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
How Does This Happen ?
« on: August 09, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »

I downloaded and burnt a PCLinuxOS 64 Bit Live CD, then ran a Live CD in my laptop and one of the things I tried was Firefox did a bit of a search and then I was getting adverts and services for my local City 10miles away.
As I had a virgin distro with no data at all put in how the #~* did the search engine know it was me and where I live ?.  :hmm:  :o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: How Does This Happen ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »

Your IP address, I guess. Google will just link that to the mass of data it's already collected about you.

Eric

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 04:44:03 PM »

IP Geolocation as Roseway said. It's not always that accurate though, mine says i'm in Sheffield.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »

No doubt Google already have a large file of information related to internet activity from that IP address, so it won't be just geolocation.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »

Yes that's what I thought it was as I have fixed IP set from my ISP.

So can other people get that info as some adverts said 'I see you are nearby:o
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »

if they're not google adverts its almost definitely ip geolocation.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »

Any website you visit can see your IP address (it has to know this, in order to know where to send the web page you requested). There are several public geolocation finders, although they're often inaccurate. See http://www.iplocation.net/
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »

The first two are 200 miles out My 'ISP head office', but the other two are nearly spot on   :o :'(

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:23:31 AM »

I assume you don't have a domain assigned to your static IP address?  That would certainly be one way it could determine your exact address.  Otherwise I'm not sure, its not like an ISP would bother to tie a static IP to a specific address, in fact that would be in breach of data protection if enabled other people to find out your exact address.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:42:44 PM »

I assume you don't have a domain assigned to your static IP address?  That would certainly be one way it could determine your exact address.  Otherwise I'm not sure, its not like an ISP would bother to tie a static IP to a specific address, in fact that would be in breach of data protection if enabled other people to find out your exact address.

I do have a domain registered on one of them but it's not in use yet. :'(

anything