Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Using the top broadband socket or the extention socket?  (Read 1642 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
Using the top broadband socket or the extention socket?
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:01:25 PM »

Could I punch down one end of the cable into the extension slot circled in red and the other into the hub? Instead of usinf the normal top socket. would i need a filter

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2jafad3.jpg

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Using the top broadband socket or the extention socket?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »

The red connector is for unfiltered broadband extensions, you can connect this directly to an ADSL modem.
Broadband wiring is always unfiltered, the function of the separate filter as regards the broadband connection is purely to provide the correct type of connection (e.g. RJ11) and separate it from the filtered phone socket.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
Re: Using the top broadband socket or the extention socket?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »

The red connector is for unfiltered broadband extensions, you can connect this directly to an ADSL modem.
Broadband wiring is always unfiltered, the function of the separate filter as regards the broadband connection is purely to provide the correct type of connection (e.g. RJ11) and separate it from the filtered phone socket.

Thank You, which do you prefer to do, plug the cable in the top or punch it down in the broadband extention slot and then straight into your modem? I got a feeling if you punch the wires in the terminals they would make a better coonnection than just plugging it in the top socket.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:52:19 PM by Geekofbroadband »