Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Delay before TalkTalk can offer FTTC?  (Read 3300 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Delay before TalkTalk can offer FTTC?
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:08:03 AM »

I'm expecting FTTC to become available in the next couple of months, but I'm unsure whether to stay with TalkTalk or to migrate to a BT-based ISP such as PlusNet.

There are several references on the TT members' forum to a two month (ish) delay after an exchange becomes activated, before TT can offer FTTC, for example:

Sorry can't be more help but i know that BT look after their customers first and they make fibre available for a few months before TalkTalk are allowed to get it. So the best thing to do would be call regularly and check

and by one of the OCEs

When BT enable fibre at an exchange it is usually a couple of months before TT are abel to resell.

In addition there are certain groups of custoemrs who cant get fibre, such as those whose lines connect direct to the exchange, as the line needs to go through a streetcab. TalkTalk also do not sell fibre if the estimated speed is below a certain level, to ensure the quality of service.

If fibre has only recently been enable and your not connected direct to the exchange then it may take a few weeks before the service becomes available through us.

I decided to ask for a MAC code, but the person I spoke to stated categorically that TT will be able to offer FTTC as soon as BT-based ISPs, and repeated this when I mentioned the claims in the members' forum.

I suspect I've been lied to, but can anyone else throw any light on this?
  Eric

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Delay before TalkTalk can offer FTTC?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 01:13:59 PM »

Roseway

Talk-talk have to order and pay a GEA link cable in your exchange before being able to accept orders for FTTC.

One recent example (Haverfordwest exchange) it began accepting orders in the middle of April, but Talk-talk only began accepting orders in the last few days (early August).

Hope this sheds some light on the situation.

IAn

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »

Thanks Ian, that sounds right.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »

As toBT customers first, that myth has been going on for some time, judging by a thread from TBB forum
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4190556-talktalk-say-they-need-to-let-bt-service-there-customers.html?fpart=all

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »

Yes, I know the 'BT customers first' thing is a myth. Openreach are legally obliged to offer a level playing field to ISPs. But the point about the GEA link cable make sense, and there are suggestions around that TalkTalk won't always make that investment.
  Eric

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 05:24:46 PM »

That GEA cable *may* be the OGHP cable? If so, you could ask for the live date of the OGHP in the exchange? I'm sure someone else will know better tho :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 06:03:55 PM »

Yes, I know the 'BT customers first' thing is a myth.....
I wan't thinking you of all folk didn't, but what it might say about a business using such an old story to influence people's decisions.