Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: USB on BT HH4 mild surprise  (Read 1665 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
USB on BT HH4 mild surprise
« on: August 05, 2014, 12:08:34 AM »

I use an old BT HH4 as a Wireless Access Point in my shed - the house wifi is weak there.  Some time ago I also plugged a USB drive into it, where I keep drivers and PDFs of manuals to access from any computer - very convenient.

I recently tried to share a printer from the HH4 USB port, and although the BT instructions tell you this won't work, there are many posts online telling you how to do it.  Sadly it didn't work for me.

In the process of this failure, I did discover one thing I'd not seen documented elsewhere - plug a USB hub into the HH4 and you can connect more than one USB drive which will all be recognized and shared onto the network.

Past experience of trying USB hubs on equipment (TVs etc) hadn't worked, so I thought I'd mention it here in case it's of use to anyone. 

I wonder what other equipment supports USB hubs from the inbuilt USB port?

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: USB on BT HH4 mild surprise
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:25:03 AM »

The problem with USB ports is that they use significant CPU power, and also can drain significant PSU power, depending on the connected equipment. Both of these factors are in limited supply on a domestic router or similar device. Personally I prefer not to use them at all, but if you're going to use them, at least make sure that the connected equipment is self powered. I really don't think it's a good idea to connect more than one device.
  Eric

anything