Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC iplayer / PCLinux  (Read 5624 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
BBC iplayer / PCLinux
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:12:53 AM »

I have been trying to get this BBC iplayer to work in PCLos.   >:D
Downloaded the latest FireFox 2.0.0.11.
Downloaded Realplayer 10.5   both via synaptic .
I went to    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/  clicked on Radio picked something to try, opened in another window and says it wants a plugin ! :o cannot download one.
FireFox said it has Realplayer 9  Plugin ? !
Eric said in another post "It works" was that with PCLos ?.if so how did you get it to work ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BBC iplayer / PCLinux
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:17:03 AM »

It works fine on this Debian system, but I don't user RealPlayer, I use the Flash plugin. On this system the package is called flashplayer-mozilla, but it may be called something different in PCLinuxOS.
  Eric

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »

Yep, I get the same 'pluggin required' message for radio in Puppy Linux with Opera 9.24  and flash 9.

The TV/video repeats work fine, but the screen blanks after 2.5 minutes.

I can't work it out.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »

Oh yes, sorry I missed the bit about radio. That does work here, but I use the 'Windows media' option, not the RealPlayer option. For this to work you have to have a package called w32codecs (or win32codecs) installed.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:03:05 PM »

Oh yes, sorry I missed the bit about radio. That does work here, but I use the 'Windows media' option, not the RealPlayer option. For this to work you have to have a package called w32codecs (or win32codecs) installed.

Re...w32codecs (or win32codecs), Do you get them though synaptic ? or ?

The video side works but there is no sound. (but if I get the radio side working I think it will be ok).

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:18:42 PM »

w32codecs is widely available, and I'm pretty sure that it will be in the PCLinuxOS repository, and therefore available through Synaptic.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:42:52 PM »

w32codecs is widely available, and I'm pretty sure that it will be in the PCLinuxOS repository, and therefore available through Synaptic.

Spot on Eric  :) got the Radio side working, But not the sound in a video :(
Any idea's

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »

There are several threads on the PCLinuxOS forum which refer to this problem, such as this one. If you do a search for 'flash' in the forum you should get some ideas.
  Eric