Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: C/A Forums closing down  (Read 14489 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
C/A Forums closing down
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk

Regrettably it has become necessary to close the Computeractive Forums. Thanks to everyone who contributed over the years.

We are going to leave the Forums online until Monday 1 September, to give you time to note down or print anything you want to keep, but you won’t be able to write on the forums during that time.

After that the Forums will be taken down from the web.

If you have a technical problem you need solving, please email our Problems Solved team (noproblem@computeractive.co.uk).

We can’t answer emails personally, but we do consider each problem – and the solution – for publication in the magazine.

There are several ways you can contact Computeractive: By email: letters@computeractive.co.uk On Facebook: www.facebook.com/computeractive. And on Twitter: @ComputerActive

Thanks

Daniel Booth
Editor 

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Re: C/A Forums closing down
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:33:34 PM »

That's a pity, didn't use it much but it was helpful sometimes.

Peter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:35:22 PM »

oh my gosh. :o

But then again, they could never be bothered to keep the software up to date nor have a decent moderation system - if all at. 
From what I understood they introduced new moderation procedure that meant the forums were basically useless if someone new wanted to ask a question.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:43:23 PM »

Is there any relationship with Webuser forums?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:50:59 PM »

They used to be entirely separate.    They were at one time rival magazines owned by different publishing houses. 

But now they are both owned by Dennis Publishing - dont know when that happened. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »

oh my gosh. :o

But then again, they could never be bothered to keep the software up to date nor have a decent moderation system - if all at. 
From what I understood they introduced new moderation procedure that meant the forums were basically useless if someone new wanted to ask a question.

There's been more moderation these last few hours than there has for years..mainly deleting pst about users complaining about the closure.. :-X

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:44 PM »

There's been more moderation these last few hours than there has for years..mainly deleting pst about users complaining about the closure.. :-X

hahahaha I just went to have a look I did think it was strange that not a single reg had posted anything about the closure.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:11:10 PM »

They used to be entirely separate.    They were at one time rival magazines owned by different publishing houses. 

But now they are both owned by Dennis Publishing - dont know when that happened.

Just looked it up Dennis Publishing bought out Computer Active last year, purchasing it from Incisive Media. 
VNU were the publishers of CA that I recall - back in the days when I subscribed when the magazine very first started - in what must have been 1998.

James Tye, chief executive of Dennis Publishing, said: "We acquire brands with a view to invest and improve them, which is exactly what we plan to do with Computer Active."

So I as with any takeover, I wouldn't be surprised if  the 2 magazines will eventually merge into one.   
Guess the closure of the forums is just the first step.

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/article/1169628/felix-dennis-returns-computer-active-acquisition

-----

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 07:37:07 AM »

that was in my mind too!

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »

Never used them myself but once I'd finally convinced the mother-in-law that Archimedes (RiscOS) was going nowhere in terms of s/w support it was perfect - I pointed her there and dealt with her remaining Windows gripes myself.

Print media is dying and there's very few models other than independent journalism which will pay the bills in future.

You could go down the clickbait route of the Grauniad but that relies on being based in the Cayman Islands (IIRC) & paying no tax, even then the Autotrader sale (with no tax paid) is all that keeps them going.

Things are changing rapidly now with the MSM - might not feel like it but most of them will go bust in the next 5 years. I for one won't be crying when the likes of the Daily Mail, Express, Mirror, Sun et al die.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 06:39:52 PM »

Especially so with magazines that cover IT topics.  Now that more people are online, they are more likely to search or read something related online rather than in print.
-----

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 07:56:34 PM »

I do occasionally buy such mags. I suppose, being vintage 36, print is more my scene than for much younger folk. That said I often find the mags' contents somewhat repetitive and honestly find more by browsing than in the printed stuff.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »

magazines that cover IT topics

Can't quite decide whether to not bother renewing my PcPro sub, been recieving it for 10 years. I quite often read it the day it arrives.....put it to one side.........then next months issue arrives.

Might sign up for the 3 issues for £1 trial if they let me/my wife/my son/my other son ;D ;D

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 08:27:28 PM »

;D ;D
-----

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 12:08:01 PM »

I only discovered yesterday that CA had closed its forum down, which goes to show how long it was since I last visited!  Indeed I was a regular helper on there several years ago, and quite a few of us old regulars migrated over to here at some point.

A shame to see it has gone, it was very useful and well used, but did have its short comings (e.g. the almost non-existent moderation as previously mentioned).

RIP CA Forums.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."
Pages: [1] 2

anything