Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 Firmwares [New H-Wolf version] (Updated 9 Aug 2014)  (Read 312475 times)

garmanarnar

Re: HG612 Firmwares [New H-Wolf version] (Updated 9 Aug 2014)
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »

um....results from the link was;

Looks like BT refused to test, possibly because a speed test or BRAS check has been run recently which prevents this tool from working. Try again in a few hours.
Debug: BT no BRAS info

weird since i didnt run the test before...  :(

{UPDATE}

ran test again and got;
Number: ************
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 49.22 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

so how am i losing 10mb down and 9mb up ??

any suggestions on ;

(Modem Advanced settings)
Modem Firewall on/off ? (on on modem and off on router or visa versa ?)
Modem IGMP snoop/proxy on/off ? (router has these options too ?)
Modem QoS on/off ? (modem says "enabled?" my router has this option but is set to "disabled")
(Modem Basic Settings)
ATM values (i havent touched these from default) im on BT infinity 2 (up to 76mb)

i found these setting listed by someone which differ somewhat from the default modem settings , should i be using these below in my modem/router configuration ?

Forget ATM, you want PTM.
Under PTM you need ptm1 with DSL latency Path 0 and PTM priority Normal
Under WAN you want ptm1.101 with WAN connection ticked
Service List INTERNET
No port binding
Connection mode ROUTE
Connection type PPPOE
WAN 802.1q ticked
VLAN ID 101
WAN 802.1p ticked
Value 2
NAT ticked
Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password bt

This is what my set up looks like using the HG612 as modem/bridge to my archer C7

As for your speed issue log in to the hg612 web interface and look under Status > Wan > xDSL
And see what the values for these 2 report

The max your line supports
Line status
Attainable rate   downstream    (kbit/s)   59852

What its actually synced at
Statistics
Line rate  downstream    (kbit/s)   54999

From that you can see my max line speed is about 60 but its only synced at 55

any suggestions on ;

(Modem Advanced settings)
Modem Firewall on/off ? (on on modem and off on router or visa versa ?)
Modem IGMP snoop/proxy on/off ? (router has these options too ?)
Modem QoS on/off ? (modem says "enabled?" my router has this option but is set to "disabled")
(Modem Basic Settings)
ATM values (i havent touched these from default) im on BT infinity 2 (up to 76mb)

Firewall I have disabled only needed in routing mode, I checked on grc.com using shields up and everything reported secure
IGMP snooping and proxy I have both untcked
QOS I have turned off
ATM is removed
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:26:36 PM by garmanarnar »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »

You should disable modem QOS as this will give you an extra 1Mb upload, but I don't think that's the problem.

You should definitely have the modem firewall on otherwise the HG612 web interface is available worldwide. I have mine set to Standard.

What speedtest are you using?

xlr8r

« Reply #242 on: July 05, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »

This is what my set up looks like using the HG612 as modem/bridge to my archer C7

As for your speed issue log in to the hg612 web interface and look under Status > Wan > xDSL
And see what the values for these 2 report

The max your line supports
Line status
Attainable rate   downstream    (kbit/s)   59852

What its actually synced at
Statistics
Line rate  downstream    (kbit/s)   54999

From that you can see my max line speed is about 60 but its only synced at 55

thanks , my stats from modem are ;

Attainable rate (kbit/s)   52124   11532
Line rate (kbit/s)           53179    11532

im gcurious about these "alternative" modem settings though ;

Forget ATM, you want PTM.
Under PTM you need ptm1 with DSL latency Path 0 and PTM priority Normal
Under WAN you want ptm1.101 with WAN connection ticked
Service List INTERNET
No port binding
Connection mode ROUTE
Connection type PPPOE
WAN 802.1q ticked
VLAN ID 101
WAN 802.1p ticked
Value 2
NAT ticked
Password bt

My "method behind the madness" is that im thinking , why let the router have to do extra work with the PPPoE settings running, when i can set these directly into the modem and let the modem do the work. Maybe im thinking wrong ..?

i might try it and see what happens....lol!

not sure though if i need to change a router setting from "Gateway" to "Router" as it says in the router help, "Operating Mode:
If the router is hosting your Internet connection, select Gateway mode. If another router exists on your network, select Router mode."

should i leave the router at Gateway if using the alternative modem PPPoE settings ?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:34:27 PM by xlr8r »

xlr8r

« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2017, 05:27:02 PM »

You should disable modem QOS as this will give you an extra 1Mb upload, but I don't think that's the problem.

You should definitely have the modem firewall on otherwise the HG612 web interface is available worldwide. I have mine set to Standard.

What speedtest are you using?

ok, i quickly reinabled the firewall to Standard setting... :o
I changed the QoS setting (unticked) but there is no SUBMIT button ? maybe its not needed or do i need to reboot modem to take effect ?
I use Speedtest.net for speedtesting. I try to use London servers (even though i am using OpenDNS servers as my static DNS settings in my router.)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »

Under Basic > WAN do you have ptm1.301 enabled? This is BT's TR069 and should be disabled

xlr8r

« Reply #245 on: July 05, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »

Under Basic > WAN do you have ptm1.301 enabled? This is BT's TR069 and should be disabled

yes ptm1.301 is "disabled" unticked

garmanarnar

« Reply #246 on: July 05, 2017, 05:41:38 PM »

ok, i quickly reinabled the firewall to Standard setting... :o
I changed the QoS setting (unticked) but there is no SUBMIT button ? maybe its not needed or do i need to reboot modem to take effect ?
I use Speedtest.net for speedtesting. I try to use London servers (even though i am using OpenDNS servers as my static DNS settings in my router.)

Try the speedtest here
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

QOS I just unticked and deleted all the rules that were made in the next tab

I added a response to my earlier post about the settings you asked about
Firewall I have disabled only needed in routing mode, I checked on grc.com using shields up and everything reported secure
QOS I have turned off
ATM is removed

On my Archer C7 I have the wan mode set to PPPoE
Password left empty

xlr8r

« Reply #247 on: July 05, 2017, 06:07:35 PM »

Try the speedtest here
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

QOS I just unticked and deleted all the rules that were made in the next tab

I added a response to my earlier post about the settings you asked about
QOS I have turned off
ATM is removed

On my Archer C7 I have the wan mode set to PPPoE
Password left empty

but modem stats are somewhat higher i.e.
Attainable rate (kbit/s)   52124   11532
Line rate (kbit/s)           53179    11532

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #248 on: July 05, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »

If you have an ethernet port on your PC you can just test from the PC to the modem by setting up a PPPoE session on the PC. This will bypass your router and LAN completely.

It may just be the ethernet cable from the modem to the router, so try a different cable.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:24:10 PM by Dray »

garmanarnar

« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »

but modem stats are somewhat higher i.e.
Attainable rate (kbit/s)   52124   11532
Line rate (kbit/s)           53179    11532

The modem seems to be connected at the correct speed so there must be something happening between it and the R7000

I take it you have port 1 of the HG612 connected to the wan port of the R7000?
What settings do you have configured for the wan connection on the R7000?
What settings do you have on the HG612 wan section like the screenshot I posted of mine earlier?
Have you got DHCP turned off an the HG612 lan settings and using the R7000 to handle DHCP on the lan?

xlr8r

« Reply #250 on: July 05, 2017, 06:45:17 PM »

The modem seems to be connected at the correct speed so there must be something happening between it and the R7000

I take it you have port 1 of the HG612 connected to the wan port of the R7000? Yes
What settings do you have configured for the wan connection on the R7000? WAN Type is PPPoE with usual user and pass, i use OpenDNS servers (better than BT's) 208.67.222.222 and .220 .220
What settings do you have on the HG612 wan section like the screenshot I posted of mine earlier? Same as yours
Have you got DHCP turned off an the HG612 lan settings and using the R7000 to handle DHCP on the lan? Yes

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:48:19 PM by xlr8r »

garmanarnar

« Reply #251 on: July 05, 2017, 07:13:07 PM »

Strange, the only thing different on my Archer C7 to your R7000 is I have the password field left blank (ddwrt doesn't like that though apparently) and the MTU is 1480
I would try what Dray suggested and see if that gets you a higher connection speed.
If it does I would update the R7000 to the latest firmware (if its not already on it) and try a 30/30/30 reset starting with a fresh config, maybe even try the latest netgear firmware see if thats any different if you still cant get a good speed with ddwrt

xlr8r

« Reply #252 on: July 05, 2017, 07:21:55 PM »

Strange, the only thing different on my Archer C7 to your R7000 is I have the password field left blank (ddwrt doesn't like that though apparently) and the MTU is 1480
I would try what Dray suggested and see if that gets you a higher connection speed.
If it does I would update the R7000 to the latest firmware (if its not already on it) and try a 30/30/30 reset starting with a fresh config, maybe even try the latest netgear firmware see if thats any different if you still cant get a good speed with ddwrt

i cant use any newer dd-wrt firmware than what im on (v3.0-r30880M kongac (11/14/16) - Otherwise i have major issues (router lockups etc). So im stuck with this version for now.
I will try the things mentioned although im using a CAT6 cable from router to modem, is that a bad thing ? I thought a CAT6 would be better with having thicker copper wiring ? One other suggestion (as daft as it sounds) was to enable Qos on the router but set the download limit to 0, thus enabling full speed. will post results later thanks

garmanarnar

« Reply #253 on: July 05, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »

i cant use any newer dd-wrt firmware than what im on (v3.0-r30880M kongac (11/14/16) - Otherwise i have major issues (router lockups etc). So im stuck with this version for now.
I will try the things mentioned although im using a CAT6 cable from router to modem, is that a bad thing ? I thought a CAT6 would be better with having thicker copper wiring ? One other suggestion (as daft as it sounds) was to enable Qos on the router but set the download limit to 0, thus enabling full speed. will post results later thanks

I have cat6 cable going from my router to modem its fine they are backwards compatible, though the HG612 only has 100Mb ports compared 1000Mb on the router so its a wast of a good cable.
If you just disabled QOS it should do the same thing, make sure theres no bandwidth limit set in there if you have it enabled.

I would say its more likely than not the firmware on the R7000 that is the problem, DDWRT uses its own more up to date Linux kernel and the Broadcom proprietary stuff is not used as its closed source so you have no hardware acceleration running DDWRT, you get the same problem with Openwrt and Broadcom such as my C7 you lose speed and hardware nat.
Your best bet if you want to run third party firmware is Shibbys version of Tomato seems to support hardware acceleration.. or the latest Netgear firmware I bet one of those will fix the issue.
Edit: Oh there is also a port of Merlin asuswrt for netgear routers which will have hardware acceleration enabled
http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/index.htm
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:30:26 PM by garmanarnar »

xlr8r

« Reply #254 on: July 05, 2017, 08:31:15 PM »

thanks all for the advice

Ive tried that many settings i cant remember how , but i managed to squeeze out 47mb download

i added this to the start-up script , maybe it helped , maybe not... but i seem to be getting slightly better results.

# echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
# echo 262144 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
# echo "4096 16384 262144" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem
# echo "4096 87380 262144" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem
echo 1000 > /proc/sys/net/core/netdev_max_backlog
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22