Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 Firmwares [New H-Wolf version] (Updated 9 Aug 2014)  (Read 312512 times)

SignedAdam

Re: HG612 Firmwares [New H-Wolf version] (Updated 9 Aug 2014)
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »

Do you think it's possible to extract the latest modem firmware from the Zyxel/Billion and implement into HG612 firmware?

Newer drivers, added features and other improvements.. :fingers:

A computer Bios always has improvements, even after they have stop supporting them, example :

http://bfy.tw/5XJj   ::)
I'm a geek on his own

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2016, 07:23:08 PM »

It's not a computer, it doesn't have a bios (computers don't these days either), it's just a modem. At the moment, it does all it needs to do and it probably supports G.Vector too. I can't think of any additional features that are required.

SignedAdam

« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »

Dray, I'm finding my self disagreeing with you, apologies :(

It's not a computer, it doesn't have a bios (computers don't these days either), it's just a modem. At the moment, it does all it needs to do and it probably supports G.Vector too. I can't think of any additional features that are required.

Most computers do have a bios of some kind, A uefi, is just a nother way of saying it, if it can be updated its some kind of firmware or code that can be changed, (updated)

maybe if we had some extra features, we would not need to type as many guides, as we all seem to be doing, like a tick box, to make it send the UI over the wan port, not just that, but as mentioned before, by someone else, there are newer drivers in a different bit of hardware, which could be moved to the HF612, with the right know how ?
I'm a geek on his own

hagrid

« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2016, 07:46:45 PM »

In my opinion if it ain't broke why try to fix it

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2016, 08:15:13 PM »

Dray, I'm finding my self disagreeing with you, apologies :(

Most computers do have a bios of some kind, A uefi, is just a nother way of saying it, if it can be updated its some kind of firmware or code that can be changed, (updated)

maybe if we had some extra features, we would not need to type as many guides, as we all seem to be doing, like a tick box, to make it send the UI over the wan port, not just that, but as mentioned before, by someone else, there are newer drivers in a different bit of hardware, which could be moved to the HF612, with the right know how ?

Yes I have reason to believe the latest modem firmware for the latest broadcom chipset could somehow be ported over on the HG612 if someone really want to try. Obviously certain newer hardware only features will never be ported over, unless it's emulated in software?

SignedAdam

« Reply #230 on: May 01, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »

Not, sfaik, without rebuilding the f/w. Not very important if the HG612 is only providing an ethernet bridge. Which is how it is configured and shipped by BT. But if the Huawei is re-configured by the end-user to run pppd on the device itself then it's very important to have an appropriate firewall rule chain.  With rules to deny or drop WAN-side connection attempts to telnetd (and sshd, etc).

Talking of passwords, the f/w for the 2701 has a very good (and bizarre) one to secure it. Perfect for warding off the evil spirits out there.  And evil smells, too!

EDIT: Just to add, the 2701 is ostensibly very secure since sshd although included in the f/w is disabled by default.

cheers, a

It would be a nice touch if who ever takes on the task of building an update to the HG612 firmware, would also make it so ... what ever password is set in the User Interface is also applyed to the telnet services, because at the moment, the telnet service stays the same default password,

I've tried the command

Code: [Select]
passwd
user password
however telnet wont let me set a new password  >:D

@Dray - it's got a security flaw  :-X
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:15:31 PM by SignedAdam »
I'm a geek on his own

hmgnsd

• Just arrived
« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2016, 12:53:13 PM »

Hello all. I'm trying to follow the instructions to flash my HG612 3B original firmware V100R001C01B028SP10 with the B030SP08 GUI firmware from the well known mega.nz page and I can get the firmware to flash, but when I go back to 192.168.1.1, the echo life GUI page is there but it doesn't accept 'admin' 'admin' as the username or password so I'm unable to access the GUI after the flashing.

And I've not come across anyone with a similar problem. If anyone could shed some light or point me towards the correct thread it'd be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:59:40 PM by hmgnsd »

hmgnsd

• Just arrived
« Reply #232 on: November 09, 2016, 01:33:53 PM »

I'm obviously not patient enough. Tried the flash with a different browser after a long restart and it's working now!

cliver

• Reg Member
« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2016, 01:37:27 PM »

I'm obviously not patient enough. Tried the flash with a different browser after a long restart and it's working now!
Just spotted your posts. I had exactly the same problem. Patience is a virtue apparently 😉

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

xlr8r

« Reply #234 on: July 05, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »

Hi all

ive just updated my modem to B030SP08 and all appears ok although i didnt disconnect the actual phone line first ??

does that really matter ?

my setup
WWW <- Modem <- Netgear R7000 Nighthawk (dd-wrt)

The modem status reports my download speed at 53179 and 11532 upload, but when i do a speedtest through my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router , i only get 39000 download and 9000 upload ?   how am i losing 10000 ?

also the modem Ethernet stats shows  Max bitRate 100, but my router is 1000 bitrate, am i losing out on speed here ?

also, QoS is enabled by default, do i need it enabled if just using the modem as a modem ? Do i need to change any other settings from default after flashing ? i.e. IGMP settings, ATM connection settings ?

(I disabled the modem firewall as i have it enabled on the R7000 router, is this correct way ?)

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:36:32 PM by xlr8r »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #235 on: July 05, 2017, 04:20:15 PM »

The modem status reports my download speed at 53179 and 11532 upload, but when i do a speedtest through my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router , i only get 39000 download and 9000 upload ?   how am i losing 10000 ?

Are you on a 40/10MB product? If so, your maximum speeds will be capped at this speed.

xlr8r

« Reply #236 on: July 05, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »

Are you on a 40/10MB product? If so, your maximum speeds will be capped at this speed.

i am on BT infinity 2 (up to 76 mb or something like that)

after flashing the modem i noticed no difference whatsoever in speed up or down.

im wondering is my router slowing things down somehow ...?  ???
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:27:16 PM by xlr8r »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »

You should check your IP Profile. You can do that here: https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker

xlr8r

« Reply #238 on: July 05, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »

You should check your IP Profile. You can do that here: https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker

um....results from the link was;

Looks like BT refused to test, possibly because a speed test or BRAS check has been run recently which prevents this tool from working. Try again in a few hours.
Debug: BT no BRAS info

weird since i didnt run the test before...  :(

{UPDATE}

ran test again and got;
Number: ************
The current Downstream BRAS rate is: 49.22 Mbps
The current Upstream BRAS rate is: 20 Mbps

so how am i losing 10mb down and 9mb up ??

any suggestions on ;

(Modem Advanced settings)
Modem Firewall on/off ? (on on modem and off on router or visa versa ?)
Modem IGMP snoop/proxy on/off ? (router has these options too ?)
Modem QoS on/off ? (modem says "enabled?" my router has this option but is set to "disabled")
(Modem Basic Settings)
ATM values (i havent touched these from default) im on BT infinity 2 (up to 76mb)

i found these setting listed by someone which differ somewhat from the default modem settings , should i be using these below in my modem/router configuration ?

Forget ATM, you want PTM.
Under PTM you need ptm1 with DSL latency Path 0 and PTM priority Normal
Under WAN you want ptm1.101 with WAN connection ticked
Service List INTERNET
No port binding
Connection mode ROUTE
Connection type PPPOE
WAN 802.1q ticked
VLAN ID 101
WAN 802.1p ticked
Value 2
NAT ticked
Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password bt

in my current setup could i use these settings (above) and then change my router to connection type (Auto) and let the modem do the PPPoE connection, to basically save the router from doing it (i.e. better to let the modem do it right from the start as such ?) 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:06:20 PM by xlr8r »

garmanarnar

« Reply #239 on: July 05, 2017, 04:42:11 PM »

It would be a nice touch if who ever takes on the task of building an update to the HG612 firmware, would also make it so ... what ever password is set in the User Interface is also applyed to the telnet services, because at the moment, the telnet service stays the same default password,

I've tried the command

passwd
user password
however telnet wont let me set a new password  >:D

@Dray - it's got a security flaw  :-X

Bit of a late reply to this but it will help others anyway who are worried about not being able to change the admin telnet password.

Create a new user with a password you want to use as the admin telnet password and submit it to save
Download the configuration file to your desktop and open it with something like Notepad++ I use scite on linux and it reads the .conf file perfectly
Search the file for the username you just created next to it you will see Userpassword="jsofsjfsjfj899" copy the part in quotes as this is the hashed password of the user you just created.
Now search for TelnetUserName="admin" next to that is the hashed admin password inside the "" replace that with the hashed password you just copied from the new user you created. Save the file go ack to HG612 web interface and upload the modified .conf file you just created.
Now try logging in to telnet with admin and the password you just created, also try logging in with admin admin to see that it no longer works for telnet.
No more telnet with default password  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22

anything