Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 Firmwares [New H-Wolf version] (Updated 9 Aug 2014)  (Read 312504 times)

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
HG612 Firmwares [New H-Wolf version] (Updated 9 Aug 2014)
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »

//*****************************************************************************************//
        Note by Admin:  If you are looking for the latest firmware version that works with G.INP then you need B030SP08
//*****************************************************************************************//

The latest version has been 'On Test' for about a week now and seems fairly stable.

Repository:   https://mega.co.nz/#F!LdJFDIJL!e_E1twsIg2kTet8mPjrb4w

Each different version now has it's own subdirectory and the following filename format:

-   <version>_original is the original, unmodified (locked) build as extracted.

-   <version>_unlocked is the basic unlocked build. The only changes to this have been to restore local telnet access.

-   <version>_webgui is identical to the unlocked build above with the web interface restored.

Also included is:

-   Tools and Patches subdirectory containing Asbokid's tools rebuilt for x86 (32bit) architecture and the 'patch set' needed to recreate the unlocked firmwares.

-   GPL Sourcecode subdirectory containing the current versions of the obvious. The B028SP10 Variations subdirectory contains the B028SP10 sourcecode released by BT and Huawei in September 2011. These are substantially different from each other and the current release.

(I went to get a link to these for someone recently and discovered that Huawei's 'support facility' was down yet again so I'm providing them here for anyone who wants them along with the 'bearded weirdies' from 2011.)

Notes:

Reading through some of the older threads I'd missed while I was otherwise occupied, it's fairly obvious that there were simply too many different builds of the last firmware version. This led to confusion over which one to use and more recently, whether the latest update had or would be received.

Going forward there will be two builds, and ONLY two builds, for each firmware version as detailed above. These will contain the minimum necessary changes to achieve the specific objective.

In all builds, BTAgent will remain untouched and still active. However in builds which include the web interface, it will be neutered by disabling it's VLAN.

This can be re-enabled through the web interface by going to Basic --> WAN.
- Select ptm1.301 under Connection Name.
- In the config panel below that, Enable 'WAN connection' and submit.

This will give people the choice. Enable it to receive updates or disable it to prevent them.

Quote from: 'Original Post:'
With hindsight it was probably a mistake to disable or strip BTAgent and the associated config settings in the way I did. I was trying to avoid the proliferation of different versions and this almost certainly led to what I think was a mistake with the patch files.

In any case, the best option was to start again from a clean baseline which is what I've done. I've rebuilt the B030SP06 firmwares and there are now only two unlocked versions.

{Links and obsolete repository details removed}

In both of the new versions, BTAgent is untouched and still active. However in the version with the web interface it has been neutered by disabling it's VLAN.

This can be re-enabled through the web interface by going to Basic --> WAN.
- Select ptm1.301 under Connection Name.
- In the config panel below that, Enable 'WAN connection' and submit.

This will give people the choice. Enable it to receive updates or disable it to prevent them.

Hopefully this should address the issues some people have raised surrounding updates.

I'm sorry for all the confusion and I promise I'll try to do better with the next one.
----
edited by Admin to add date to topic title and sticky the post
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:11:38 PM by kitz »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: HG612 Firmwares
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »

Many thanks again HW.
  Eric

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:05:21 AM »

Howdy

Are any of these firmwares optimised for ADSL vs VDSL? :)

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:19:47 PM »

Howdy

Are any of these firmwares optimised for ADSL vs VDSL? :)

Erm...

I would assume they're optimised for VDSL2 as Openreach had them customised for their 'Fibre to the Curb' service (BT Infinity, etc).

I've certainly not altered anything which might change that.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 12:40:04 AM »

Thank you HW.  Nice work :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
Re: HG612 Firmwares [Aug 2014 - New HW version]
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 01:10:07 AM »

Thanks Kitz.

Of course, if I'd done it properly in the first place...  :-[

JordanBlack68

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »

Do you need the Firewall On, if the router (Acus-ac66u) as it on. I usually just disable the modem firewall and use the router one.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »

two firewalls is likely to lead to problems, but personally I would suggest disabling the router firewall and using the modem one, because the closer the firewall is to the point of entry, or 'border gateway' in networking terms, the less potential foothold there is.

That said, I have a completely unprotected modem and a dedicated hardware firewall behind it.

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »

Which mode is the modem operating in???

In bridged mode with the router handling pppoe, packets from the external network are passed straight through to the router which becomes the 'point of entry' referred to above. This is the default operating mode for FTTC (BT Infinity, etc.)

It's worth noting that there's no 'direct' access to the modem from the internet when operating in this mode except via BT's VLAN (ptm1.301). The modem firewall only controls local access via LAN2 and probably remote access via BT's VLAN as well.

In routed mode with the modem handling pppoe, it becomes the 'point of entry' and it's firewall controls access to everything.

JordanBlack68

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »

Which mode is the modem operating in???

In bridged mode with the router handling pppoe, packets from the external network are passed straight through to the router which becomes the 'point of entry' referred to above. This is the default operating mode for FTTC (BT Infinity, etc.)

It's worth noting that there's no 'direct' access to the modem from the internet when operating in this mode except via BT's VLAN (ptm1.301). The modem firewall only controls local access via LAN2 and probably remote access via BT's VLAN as well.

In routed mode with the modem handling pppoe, it becomes the 'point of entry' and it's firewall controls access to everything.

yeah the router handles the pppoe so i disabled the firewall on modem

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »

Just a thought, Wolfy............

If it's not too late & if you are are still fine tuning the GUI firmware, would it be possible to correct the mixed up FEC/HEC/CRC issue in the GUI, ensuring the same values as reported via the xdslcmd info --stats command are displayed?

Cheers,

BE1

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 11:42:29 PM »

Just a thought, Wolfy............

If it's not too late & if you are are still fine tuning the GUI firmware, would it be possible to correct the mixed up FEC/HEC/CRC issue in the GUI, ensuring the same values as reported via the xdslcmd info --stats command are displayed?

Cheers,

BE1

Thats a good point BE1 but wondering if this would require a major overhaul  :-\

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 02:44:25 AM »

I'm not going to make anymore changes to the current builds before releasing them but I can certainly look into it for you.

Whether I'll able to do anything about it is another question. Many of the web interface's 'factual' errors seem to originate somewhere in one of the underlying layers.

Can you show me what it should be showing as opposed to what it is actually showing?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:58 AM »

It muddles up the values, so the correct values are shown (IIRC), but next to the wrong labels if that makes sense. Although I couldn't tell you which way round they should go.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »

It does indeed :)

If it is just the labels then that should be fairly easy to correct. I will need to know precisely what each value is and what it should be called of course.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

anything