Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: HG612 Firmwares [New H-Wolf version] (Updated 9 Aug 2014)  (Read 312548 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: HG612 Firmwares [Aug 2014 - New HW version] (Updated 9 Aug)
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2014, 12:42:51 AM »

not sure, on the first firmware people disabled the interface in the GUI like howlingwolf has done on this new firmware, but when they didnt kill btagent their modems still got updated.  Which suggests to me it still has a way of communicating which is why I plan to kill it.

Thanks Chry it is a grey area the BTagent could also provide a secure gateway for router firmware updates which is as we know is normally beneficial to the EU, but if it's blocked or unavailable then the router will not get any remote updates from there ISP's

I don't know it's something that made me think a few days ago when on another forum the op was not getting a router firmware update as he had the btagent removed on the HG612  :-\

I would think the sort of people flashing custom firmware do not want isp automated updates tho, I defenitly dont.

I remember been frustrated on infinity with isp enforced ppp resets every 3-4 days then suddenly after killing btagent I could have long uptimes.

anyway seems I need a download link as I forgot to download it and only have access from my laptop now on 3G and the mega.nz site wants me to update my browser which I cannot do at the moment.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2014, 01:02:27 AM »

anyway seems I need a download link as I forgot to download it and only have access from my laptop now on 3G and the mega.nz site wants me to update my browser which I cannot do at the moment.

You have a PM, sent from The Cattery;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2014, 01:59:23 AM »

I may have asked previously, but............................

Why do some users wish/need to block BT Agent?

Does it actually do any harm or invade our privacy?

I just wanted the HG612's GUI back after the last firmware update and HW hack works for me BE1, but I am mindfull that the blocked BT Agent my not be helpfull in the long term.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2014, 02:25:24 AM »

Because we don't want the GUI to randomly be disabled?

There is no way to be sure that Openreach won't get tired of all this hacking and actually block telnet and/or the emergency firmware flashing functionality completely.  I wouldn't personally fancy having to JTAG my modem to get everything back as my soldering skill is rather like a five year old with a knife and fork.

If nothing else, your modem updating of its own accord could break your stats as the output of xdslcmd can change.  I like to know when this is going to happen.  Heck, there is always the possibility of a failed firmware update bricking the modem and if you aren't around to fix it that is mighty problematic for other people in the household.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2014, 07:00:24 AM »

Because we don't want the GUI to randomly be disabled?

That's a fair point.

There is no way to be sure that Openreach won't get tired of all this hacking and actually block telnet and/or the emergency firmware flashing functionality completely.  I wouldn't personally fancy having to JTAG my modem to get everything back as my soldering skill is rather like a five year old with a knife and fork.

TBH, I did wonder why they hadn't blocked telnet access & firmware flashing when they first disabled the GUI.

Maybe that functionality is needed for their own monitoring/firmware updating methods?

If nothing else, your modem updating of its own accord could break your stats as the output of xdslcmd can change. 

That's true & it did happen.

The raw stats were still harvested, which allowed us to see what had changed, but my programs did need to be amended to suit both the original & updated stats formatting to take that into account, so there was indeed a short period where plotting of ongoing stats didn't work.

I'm personally happy to not block BT Agent as I'll at least be able to spot if anything changes & take action accordingly.

I do have a spare HG612, should everything be completely blocked in the worst case scenario.

Other makes of Broadcom based modems can also be used e.g. Zyxel etc. if necessary should all else fail.

As the firmware update did seem to aid stabiity & speed for some users, it would be a shame if everyone blocked updates & nobody noticed any other 'genuine' improvements.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »

You have a PM, sent from The Cattery;)

sorry I ended up installing firefox portable grabbed it, flashed it, then went bed quickly after noticing the time, but thanks anyway.

chris6273

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »

No but it will (From what I gather) lock us GUI users out of the GUI and reset the root password IF it updates the FW so we can't do anything with it. It would need unlocking again. That's what I gather anyway.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »

I was going to say those who use unlocked modems really need to take responsibly for what they doing.
Using a firmware with no btagent doesnt prevent automatic updating as one only need to reflash with a firmware with btagent included, however I think the bigger problem howlingwolf raised was that his btagent image wasnt working right due to an error in his patch as a result of doing a no btagent version.

I am not going to press him for a no btagent version now but I have killed the btagent processes on my hg612.

sidvandegraaf

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2014, 04:54:21 PM »

In all builds, BTAgent will remain untouched and still active. However in builds which include the web interface, it will be neutered by disabling it's VLAN.

This can be re-enabled through the web interface by going to Basic --> WAN.
- Select ptm1.301 under Connection Name.
- In the config panel below that, Enable 'WAN connection' and submit.

This will give people the choice. Enable it to receive updates or disable it to prevent them.

Have just installed bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B030SP08_webgui, to replace bcm96368MVWG_fs_kernel_HG612V100R001C01B028SP10unlocked002

When I go to Basic --> WAN, I only see ptm1.101 under Connection Name (no sign of ptm1.301)

If I then disable 'WAN connection', I lose internet connectivity.

How can I prevent updates? Thanks.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »

if there's no ptm1.301 vlan, I'd suggest that means it's already removed and there will be no updating.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »

there is no ptm1.301 its called tr069_internet which I am not convinced is btagent thats why I killed the process.

sidvandegraaf

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »

there is no ptm1.301 its called tr069_internet which I am not convinced is btagent thats why I killed the process.

I've also tried disabling 'WAN connection' for 'TR069' and 'TR069_INTERNET' but these both kill all my internet connectivity.

I don't use shell scripts for stats logging, just some GUI screen scrapes, so I don't really want to schedule a shell script just to login and kill BTAgent.

Any other suggestions for what to disable in the GUI in order to cripple BTAgent please?

sidvandegraaf

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2014, 08:51:54 PM »

Also just noticed that the last disabling WAN connection test caused me to receive a new IP address

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »

you only need to kill btagent once if you never reboot the modem. it doesnt come back on resync.

use this command in telnet, repeat it twice as a quick way of knowing it worked, if it works the 2nd time will say no process killed.

killall -KILL start btagent

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2014, 01:01:44 AM »

When I go to Basic --> WAN, I only see ptm1.101 under Connection Name (no sign of ptm1.301)

Updating the firmware does not 'reset' the config if you've modified it.

So if you didn't do a factory reset afterwards, you probably have a modified config from one of the previous versions which had ptm1.301 removed.

TR069_INTERNET is the service name, not the connection name.

If you don't have a connection named ptm1.301, then it's almost certainly the same issue as above.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

anything