Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

HG612 Firmwares [New H-Wolf version] (Updated 9 Aug 2014)

<< < (2/65) > >>

Howlingwolf:
Thanks Kitz.

Of course, if I'd done it properly in the first place...  :-[

JordanBlack68:
Do you need the Firewall On, if the router (Acus-ac66u) as it on. I usually just disable the modem firewall and use the router one.

loonylion:
two firewalls is likely to lead to problems, but personally I would suggest disabling the router firewall and using the modem one, because the closer the firewall is to the point of entry, or 'border gateway' in networking terms, the less potential foothold there is.

That said, I have a completely unprotected modem and a dedicated hardware firewall behind it.

Howlingwolf:
Which mode is the modem operating in???

In bridged mode with the router handling pppoe, packets from the external network are passed straight through to the router which becomes the 'point of entry' referred to above. This is the default operating mode for FTTC (BT Infinity, etc.)

It's worth noting that there's no 'direct' access to the modem from the internet when operating in this mode except via BT's VLAN (ptm1.301). The modem firewall only controls local access via LAN2 and probably remote access via BT's VLAN as well.

In routed mode with the modem handling pppoe, it becomes the 'point of entry' and it's firewall controls access to everything.

JordanBlack68:

--- Quote from: Howlingwolf on August 05, 2014, 06:12:46 PM ---Which mode is the modem operating in???

In bridged mode with the router handling pppoe, packets from the external network are passed straight through to the router which becomes the 'point of entry' referred to above. This is the default operating mode for FTTC (BT Infinity, etc.)

It's worth noting that there's no 'direct' access to the modem from the internet when operating in this mode except via BT's VLAN (ptm1.301). The modem firewall only controls local access via LAN2 and probably remote access via BT's VLAN as well.

In routed mode with the modem handling pppoe, it becomes the 'point of entry' and it's firewall controls access to everything.

--- End quote ---

yeah the router handles the pppoe so i disabled the firewall on modem

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version