Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BT Fibre vs Plusnet Fibre  (Read 24211 times)

HighBeta

• Reg Member
Re: BT Fibre vs Plusnet Fibre
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »

Its just a question of changing your user name / password -It helps PN being part of B:)

mybthomehub@btbroadband.com
becomes something like
Geekofbroadband@plusdsl.net

Then enter your password ( created as part of sign up)

& Jobs a Good'n as they say.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:38:21 PM by HighBeta »

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 04:49:59 PM »

thank you  :P

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »

I have to write the things down these days ....The joys of senior moments  :-[ :)

Have you switched ?

PN also offer a useful static IP option for a one off fiver.

Also if you want all your traffic  Titanium {0xa0}  and Gold {0x80 or 0x60} then PN offer the Pro add-on for £5 per month. Its a no tie in add on , so you can add or remove the option in the member centre .
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/pro-Add-On-faq.shtml#whatIs
Should point out , the Plusnet network team say its not really worth it , for 80/20 service.;)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »

I have to write the things down these days ....The joys of senior moments  :-[ :)

Have you switched ?

PN also offer a useful static IP option for a one off fiver.

Also if you want all your traffic  Titanium {0xa0}  and Gold {0x80 or 0x60} then PN offer the Pro add-on for £5 per month. Its a no tie in add on , so you can add or remove the option in the member centre .
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/pro-Add-On-faq.shtml#whatIs
Should point out , the Plusnet network team say its not really worth it , for 80/20 service.;)

He has not switched yet but I think he will in a month when his virgin contract ends, and go with the Plusnet 80/20 someone from Plusnet also told me he could switch Plusnet prioritisation off for an extra £5 a month so it would just be like Infinity 2
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:05:14 PM by Geekofbroadband »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »

BT has more diversity on its external transit.
However BT also has odd internal routing issues which on my line created permanent jitter as was some kind of load balancing going on between different routers of different latency.
Plusnet almost exclusively seems to only use level3 for transit (where is no peering links in use).  Level3 sometimes routes oddly, like going to EU for UK traffic.

I have got 2 guesses why plusnet are rolling out 40/20

1 - On the BTw contracts and openreach contracts if you change the product a new min 12 month term starts, but if the isp only has one product the 80/20 then they dont need to initiate a new min term with the wholesale and ultimately this increases profits. (note this may no longer apply if the new ofcom rules for 1 month migrations are in effect).

2 - Extra burst speed (dispite many people been in denial) costs money, it adds to peak time demand load.  So plusnet can offer on the budget packages double upload speed over other budget packages that other isp's have as a selling point, but because they keep the download at 40 there is no extra costs on backhaul capacity.  This is also to keep a reason paying for the extra product.

In terms of congestion, I dont think I have noticed anything significant that is confirmed plusnet side.

Mainstream services such as youtube and netflix work as good on plusnet as they do on infinity.

Plusnet has superior tech support to BT in it has uk agents who are better trained, but they do have support response time issues, a way to bypass the slow response time is use their forums if its office hours.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 01:05:20 AM by Chrysalis »

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »

Would you have it off or on?

Off, :)  As most of the standard/popluar use taffic is classed Titanium or Gold.

BT Retail also has shapped traffic. Just not as well published as plusnet's.
Have a read of Section 2: Traffic management to optimise network utilisation.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/~/traffic-management
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:36:26 PM by HighBeta »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »

Regarding pro I currently have it on, when I first signed up I was seeing packet loss on ssh traffic (not on port 22 but on other ports), and turning on pro fixed it so I left it on.  Whether or not that issue ever got fixed no idea as I am not particularly bothered about paying the extra fiver anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »

Would you have it off or on?

Off for me too.  The vast majority of my bandwidth is streaming and I don't do p2p so it wouldn't make sense for me to purchase Pro.

However I do use a quite a bit of external FTP - which is one of the areas likely to have been quite heavily shaped on some of the old Plusnet accounts and one of the protocols normally targeted for shaping after p2p.   
Im on Unlimited 80/20 and Ive yet to see any sign of any traffic shaping on my FTP transfers, even during peak hours.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 10:32:13 PM »

Oh right I see! Sorry I was getting confused. So If I was to buy the Unlimited Fibre Extra normally I would be on the normal Current Residential Products and if I wanted the Pro add-on which makes all of them Titanium and Gold I would have to go on my account and add it on. So what is BT Infinity 2 equivalent to, the Current Residential Products or the Pro add-on?  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:36:14 PM by Geekofbroadband »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 10:47:24 PM »

>>   So what is BT Infinity 2 equivalent to,

Not sure?   BT do a similar type of shaping to PN anyhow- just not quite as open about it.  Since Infinity 2 relates to the 'up to' speed and Im not aware that they do a Pro addon..  then Id say Plusnet Unlimited 80/20 without Pro add-on.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 01:03:12 AM »

BT the new true unlimited I am pretty sure has no management at all not even prioritisation.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »

It does say this but im nt sure if its for BT Infintiy 2.

Prioritised: This outcome is achieved by the deployment of technologies that increase the priority given to certain traffic types (for example, time-critical traffic such as video). This outcome can also be achieved as a consequence of slowing down other selected traffic which reduces the overall data flow on the network.

I think that might be for when its under load, http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/~/traffic-management

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2014, 11:15:04 PM »

Think I seem to remember that all users will get a fair share of the BroadBand Bandwidth be it on ADSl ADSL2+ and VDSL2 can't remember the exact term but it's at the exchange and the ISP's have no control over it, the basic function was to limit the max bandwidth the user could access to try and balance out a user who has less broadband bandwidth.

Think it's called Bandwidth Management Control at the Exchange  :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 03:21:13 AM »

In the early days of adsl bt used to us contention ratios, but the did away with this years ago. 

Bandwidth is allocated per virtual paths (VPs).  On some of the old Dslams the VPs could be quite small.  On 20cn exchanges all maxDSL users are usually put on an MSAN which has superVPs.  A maxdsl premium aCcount will be on a different vp to normal maxdsl as these are allocated slightly more bandwidth.  Even so contention and congestion can still be an issue if bt get caught out and don't upgrade the VPs quick enough.

For adsl2+ and 21cn exchanges, they still use VPs but congestion is much rarer due to the structure of the backhaul.  There's info on the main site about this.

No preferences are given for sync speeds, just natural congestion and preferences for some protocols.  If by any chance congestion kicks in, then the higher rate lines will notice first.   

For example if the vp is busy, then a 24Mb line would notice first and this could slow the line down to say 12mbps.  A line on the same VP syncing at 16mbps would also be slowed to 12mbps Yet a line syncing at 10mbps or less, wouldn't even be aware there was an issue.

Think of it this way, I'd you have a busy motorway and heavy traffic slows down speeds to 60 mph, then all cars are slowed down to the same speed regardless of what speed the car is capable of doing. The Sunday driver on the inside lane doing 50 mph may think its busy if he looks out of his window, but he's still free to tootle along at 50 and isn't affected.

With vdsl its natural congestion again but there's a couple of places local congestion could occur.  1. Dslam to exchange and would affect all users on that dslam. 2. On or near the OLT which could affect all vdsl users at the exchange due to insufficient capacity on the backhaul for the vdsl VP (btw based fttc) or SP backhaul capacity in the case of TT/sky.

Gea fibre providers such as sky and TT also have a 3rd possible location and that's on the GEA fibre link between the OLT and the ISP backhaul.  This is the link between BTs equipment and their own.. So they must also ensure that they purchase a big enough link, otherwise it will slow down all their fttc users on that exchange.

----
Damnit I'd typed a long post but the ipad lost it :(. It sometimes does this with long posts as it attempts to do a full page refresh.  I've tried to type most of it again, but because it's taken so long and I don't want to risk another preview... I've not proof read so apologies for typos etc
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »

Fine post Kitz and the Ipad has successfully sent your message to the Kitz server.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything