Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: BT Fibre vs Plusnet Fibre  (Read 24212 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
BT Fibre vs Plusnet Fibre
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:14:30 AM »

I know Plusnet uses Openreachs network but people have said plusnets upto 76Mbs service is better than BT's upto 76Mbs they said it's something to do with plusnet only being in the UK and having better routing, is this true? I mean if it is then I might move to plusnet seeing as there cheaper, have a better help service and the router doesn't matter as I use the OR modem with a net gear r7000 and does anyone know if the plusnet unlimited fibre pro is truly unlimited like the bt option 2 (not p2p limits)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:34:20 AM by Geekofbroadband »

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: BT Fibre vs Plusnet Fibre
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:20:57 AM »

I've had plusnet unlimited fibre since last november and haven't hit any limits yet despite really heavy use.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:09:22 PM »

The actual connection is exactly the same - theres no difference between the 2 when it comes to connection and sync speeds.  Routing - theres not much in it... Plusnet uses much of the BTcore network but you will terminate on one of their gateways which are dotted over several london based regions.  Depending on where you are routing to it can make a minute difference but not much and you can always gateway hop anyhow if one of the other gateways is nearer.

However Id say their Customer Support is better than BT in that it is UK based and they do tend to have more of a clue than BT CS.

Yes their unlimited pro is truly unlimited.  There have been reports by a couple of customers of using several hundred GB. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »

Warning OT :o

Would you say same for telephone service?

HighBeta

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »

Have a read through some of Dave's T's post on Plusnet's forum to see if the way the traffic is policed (shaped) suits your end user needs. :)

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115770.msg1016233.html#msg1016233

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,126233.msg1107785.html#msg1107785

Edited reason -Cashback Offer expired
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:24:36 PM by HighBeta »

ryant704

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »

I'm going to place an order with Plusnet in the coming week, I will post comparison!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:12:57 PM »

I'm going to place an order with Plusnet in the coming week, I will post comparison!

I was thinking of transferring from BT to Plusnet a few months ago to save a few pennys and found out that's all i'll save 45p per month on FTTC.

How often does one call there ISP if there is an issue not that often I hope  ;)

perry081064

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 12:27:26 PM »

I was thinking of transferring from BT to Plusnet a few months ago to save a few pennys and found out that's all i'll save 45p per month on FTTC.

How often does one call there ISP if there is an issue not that often I hope  ;)

im with BT.

trust me , its not the small saving.
id happily pay twice that and more if needed to transfer to plusnet.
in fact , if plusnet paid the remaining charge for ending my contract 6 months early i would go yesterday.
shocking , non existant overseas support is not worth it .
im pretty much tech savvy and having to explain to BT india what im on about and getting nowhere after an hour on the phone isnt worth it , even if its only once you have to call.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »

There are ways of further enhancing the saving, all the time someone you've referred to Plusnet is a customer you'll get a discount off your bill every month. In fact it's even possible that Plusnet could end up paying you money every month if you refer enough people. I currently get £4.50 in  referral credits a month.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »

There are ways of further enhancing the saving.

Yes was on the Plusnet Website last night and what looks great is its unlimited as at the moment with BT 40/10 it's a 40GB a month allowance though I only use 29GB max a month.
and the last time I called Plusnet they could not do the free evening and weekend calls but it looks like that has changed.

As I am out of the BT contract it's a rolling 1 month contract it's better to move away from BT like Car Insurance the longer you stay you miss out on new customer deals  ;)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 11:06:47 PM »

From the PN Community Forum

community.plus.net/plusnet-residential-refresh-faq-june-2014/
Both Fibre products will be provisioned on 80/20 speeds, however, the Unlimited Fibre (Up to 38Mbps) package will be capped at 40/20 on our side.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »

From the PN Community Forum

community.plus.net/plusnet-residential-refresh-faq-june-2014/
Both Fibre products will be provisioned on 80/20 speeds, however, the Unlimited Fibre (Up to 38Mbps) package will be capped at 40/20 on our side.

Thats ok Ren I only get a DS of 29 - 30 Mbps and US of 5.9 Mbps so i'll see no difference

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »

Just wondering, are the up and downstream rates somehow approximately mathematically related? My views of a few estimates of local numbers makes me think they could be.

If they are, what's the point of 40/20 anyhow?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »

No, there's no fixed relationship between upstream and downstream speeds. Ignoring capping and other deliberate interventions, connection speeds are determined by the bitloading on the different tones, and the bitloading is dependent on the level of noise on each tone. That's an over simplification of course.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 11:58:25 AM »

If they are, what's the point of 40/20 anyhow?

As eric has already mentioned it depends entirely on the frequency bands.   
The advantage of an 80/20 product being capped at 40/20...  is that because the upstream tones are in the lower frequencies.. it may be possible that some lines whilst not able to take advantage of tones in the D3 band, they may well be able to make use of some of the tones in U2 to give more upload speed.
The U2 band isnt heavily shaped by PSD masks - unlike U0 and U1 to a certain extent.  So although 40/20 isnt an official wholesale product, Plusnet offering this could actually open up more upstream speeds for longer lines rather than being on the fixed 40/10 product.... even if the line is too long to make use of tones >2750

The band plans are laid down in the dsl standard annexes.. so if someone can make use of U2 even if the line is reasonably long...  then why not.  I cant actually see any downside to this.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything