Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2wire 2700 > Bridged or routed VC-Mux in UK ?  (Read 19817 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: 2wire 2700 > Bridged or routed VC-Mux in UK ?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 04:28:34 PM »

I run a bbmax speedtest on the Thompson 330 USB that is usually used and it gives about 1.8Mbps speed
Then for the next 2 hours while I am experimenting with the 2wire 2700s, all I get are speeds of .5 - .7 (but always a sync of 2272kbps)

Just a thought - what time did you test at - I have heard several rumours that at peak times tiscali throughput speeds take a bit of a nose dive.  Exchange contention could also have a part to play in it.   

Is it possible that during your testing you picked up some exchange/ISP contention as the evening wore on?

I'm not really sure what the max rate in the stats means

Thats an estimate by the router of the maximum speeds that that particular line could sync at if it wasnt restricted by any fixed rate profiles.

It may well vary, because the router will estimate based on the line stats at that particular moment... such things as a better SNR Margin etc will make a difference to the "max" calculation output by the router.
SNR Margin varies on all lines throughout the day, regardless if they are on maxdsl or a fixed rate line.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »

Thanks. It was a Saturday morning, but it was literally switch on, test Thompson speedtouch 330 USB speed on bbmax = 1.8Mb, switch off, set up 2wire, switch on, test speed at bbmax which had immediately fallen to .5 and stayed so for the rest of my testing (2hours). So the process of setting up the 2wire caused the speed to drop within the space of 5 minutes. Within that 5 minutes the 2wire would have had the wrong settings while I put in the correct settings. It seems that Tiscali's system caused it to resync at the same speed of 2272 but something else was limiting the speed to .5 - .7  ??? I wonder what they are up to and what system they use is doing this. Could they have something that detected the different router (MAC address) and reduced the speed because of this ? Would it be the bRas profile? I would have only had the 2wire routers on continuously for a max of 15 minutes before rebooting so maybe had it been left on it would have returned to 1.8 after an hour or two. It would be nice to know what they are up to  :hmm:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 06:59:50 PM »

>> 1.8Mb, switch off, set up 2wire, switch on, test speed at bbmax which had immediately fallen to .5 and stayed so for the rest of my testing (2hours).

okay - thats fair enough - just had to check really :/

>> Within that 5 minutes the 2wire would have had the wrong settings while I put in the correct settings.

It does seem to short of a period for anything like that to occur, the only other thing I can think is if some of tiscalis centrals are more contended than others.. just trying to think of anything else it could possibly have been..  but bearing in mind you said you rebooted a few times and  there was some doubts anyhow about that particular router, then it is looking like the router could have been the cause?

>> Would it be the bRas profile?

cant honestly say without checking the BTw performance tester.
I suppose if you put the ST back on and that came back up at 1.8Mb then that would have shown it was the router rather than the bRAS profile.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 07:15:53 PM »

Sorry I should have added that I was using 3 different 2wires and all of them gave .5 - .7, and when finished I went back to the 330 USB and it was also giving .5 - .7

I'll try the btw performance tester next time I try them.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything