Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2wire 2700 > Bridged or routed VC-Mux in UK ?  (Read 19812 times)

setecio

• Reg Member
2wire 2700 > Bridged or routed VC-Mux in UK ?
« on: January 27, 2008, 06:10:55 PM »

Trying out a 2wire 2700HG-B in the UK and I have to choose >>>
3. From the ATM Encapsulation drop-down menu, select Bridged LLC, Bridged VC-Mux, Routed LLC, or
Routed VC-Mux.

I'm testing it on Tiscali (VC-Mux) but should it be bridged VC-Mux or routed VC-Mux ? I'm not using any fancy setup, just a simple wired or wireless link to the 2700 for internet use. When does each apply ? Both work but I don't want a wrong setting to upset or degrade things as I will be trying this on a long line. The default is bridged but I currently have it set on routed VC-Mux as a web page said this was correct for a router talking an IP address and handing out 192.168s to the connected computers, but I'm not sure if the info is correct or not. Anyone know ?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:18:31 PM by setecio »

MikeS

Re: 2wire 2700 > Bridged or routed VC-Mux in UK ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »

Hi

If it's any help, I have a 2Wire 1800HG and that is set to routed VC Mux, which was the recommended setting.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 08:17:27 PM »

Thanks Mike, I'll stick with that as the recommended setting.

I bought 2 second hand of the 2700. Testing on the same 2MB fixed connection one give an SNR magin of 20 (which is correct) another shows 5, would this be a faulty router which would affect performance, or a faulty reading/software which won't affect performance ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »

hmmm

difficult to say if its a problem with that particular software or not. 
I suppose the concern would be that if you were on a maxdsl line, where the SNR Margin is important.  The default SNR Margin is 6dB when it has to sync up.  If the SNRM gets too low then the connection would drop.  If its simply a display error then it could be ok, but if theres something wrong with the router itself which is picking up more noise, then it could not perhaps be the best router to use.

Do you know anyone on a maxdsl line that you could perhaps test it out on?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 02:00:07 PM »

I will see if I can find an adsl max line to try it on. It might be a setup key code, since I just accepted the default code when I reset the modem. However I've just found info about a more suitable UK key code which I will try also. I will let you know what happens.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »

As said in the past, "not my field" so please excuse me for butting in, but!

With this type of setup, would changing the routers over (effectively switching Off & On) in a short space of time have anything to do with either the various reading or sync issues?

hth

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:16:55 PM »

Swapping the routers over shouldnt have any effect on the physical line stats.  Although many routers (and indeed versions of firmware) can make a slight difference to the line stats output.
I once had a router that showed my attenuation as 21dB (it should be around 7/8db) which is an extreme difference but was cured by a firmware upgrade.

The switching on/off relates to if you turn your router off frequently in a short period of time, then you can fool the DLM at the exchange into thinking that youve lost connection through loss of sync and it tries to adjust your profile to help stabilise your line.  It would do this by changing say interleaving or the [/]target SNR[/b] .. or it could affect your IP profile.  These arent the same figures that the router outputs which are SNR Margin, attenuation and sync speed.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »

As said in the past, "not my field" so please excuse me for butting in,

Just a thought, but thanks for the information (sorry but I never understood a word much of it)  :-[
Well maybe just a tad. :-X

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »

Here are the stats for the 2 different units .... look at current noise margin and current attenuation .... weird . It has the latest software and even using the same activation keys on it still produces these differences.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 10:38:10 PM »

I dont like the look of the reading on the 2nd image at all.
63dB is normally around the maximum limit attenuation that most routers record.  Generally that means you are either on a very long line or you have a fault on the line.

In view of these circumstances I'd be more inclined to say that something on that unit is faulty.  I'm not very electrical minded, but perhaps the power supply on the unit for eg is introducing a heap of resistance/interference.
Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me on electrical stuff could comment on that.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »

I agree that it looks like some sort of fault with the second router. The cheap and nasty power supplies which are used with this sort of equipment are certainly capable of messing up an ADSL connection, so that's quite a likely diagnosis. I suppose that it could also be a fault in the router itself, or a dodgy cable or poor socket connection.
  Eric

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 08:56:49 PM »

I just bought another BT version of this router on eBay (this adsl tweaking has become too much of a hobby  :silly:  :scare: ) the 2700HG-V and it comes with the original 2wires power supply. The power supply for the other two are cheap, so I will try the malfunctioning one with the good power supply. Also flashed the malfunctioning 2700HG-B with this firmware http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=fa06fbd48aebf8ba3b98366882ebc917&t=22658 Beware anyone doing this, read the warnings about the newer models (I won't be doing that with the BT one I've just got).

I'll let you know if the malfunctioning one now works after I try it on Sunday.

Thanks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 01:02:57 AM »

>> this adsl tweaking has become too much of a hobby

lol join the club.

Fingers crossed for you with the firmware flash - good luck.
-----

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 09:31:46 AM »

Reflashed it a few days ago and the interface appeared again, and then tried it out on an adsl connection yesterday and it still gives the strange readings for SNR and attenuation.  :( I'll send it back and get it exchanged.

I thought I was trying it on a fixed 2MB line but what happened confuses me (using the 2 working models for this bit)
I run a bbmax speedtest on the Thompson 330 USB that is usually used and it gives about 1.8Mbps speed
Then for the next 2 hours while I am experimenting with the 2wire 2700s, all I get are speeds of .5 - .7 (but always a sync of 2272kbps)
I know that I was regularly connecting and disconnecting during my testing, but I thought a fixed line speed was fixed
This appears to work more like an adsl max that has a permananet max capped speed of 2Mbps but works like max in that it adjusts for sync and resyncs .......... is such a thing possible ..... (It is Tiscali ).
Here is a sample of the modem stats. I'm not really sure what the max rate in the stats means since the speedtests only give .5 -.7, I assume the sync is the 2272. My understanding is that it is a fixed 2M line, but this extra figure of 7389  ??? is it a fixed figure built into the modem or an actual reading ? If it is a reading then I'm not so sure it is a fixed 2M line, but that doesn't make sense either since I have 3 figures, .5 - .7 , 2272 , 7389      ??? ??? ???

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 09:50:46 AM »

I suspect that the explanation is that you are on a max-enabled line but the connection is being locked at the up/down rates of a fixed 2 meg connection. So the 'Max Rate' figure is the highest connection speed which the router calculates that it could achieve without the locking.

I'm a bit vague about this aspect of ADSL, so maybe Kitz can put it in more concrete terms.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2