Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: It never rains....  (Read 4301 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
It never rains....
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:06:26 PM »

I rushed one very poorly cat to the emergency vet this weekend.  I was hesitant about contacting an out of hours vet, but Ive totally done the right thing.   He was being monitored but was last night transferred to the animal hospital as he needed more supervision than what my local vets could provide on a Sunday evening and it was a bit touch and go whether he'd make it through the night, but he has done. :)  We still dont know what up with him but after eliminating everything else so far its possibly looking like his pancreas.   He's in a lot of pain and not eating or drinking, but good news is this morning at least he's stabilised through quick interaction of numerous injections and being put on a drip.   I haven't seen him since before he was transferred (a quick dash down to the vets to give him a cuddle before he left) last night, but the vet has been fantastic and kept me updated numerous times per day.  Waiting some results of some further test results which were sent away to arrive back tomorrow.  He is still far too poorly to contemplate him being home yet, aside from the fact we dont know what the problem is that made him so sick.  xrays and various local tests have ruled out several things so far, so its process of elimination atm.

Then my daughter has been poorly for a few days and after a bit of nagging from mum yesterday eve went to the walk-in, where they promptly referred her to the Hospital, where she was admitted and put on a drip.   She is doing fine this evening... its a very bad migraine attack and because she'd been unable to keep even water down for >24hrs she'd become de-hydrated.  She was well enough to joke that she came out in sympathy with the cat.

So both my baba's are in hospital attached to drips atm.  ::)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: It never rains....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:43:04 PM »

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I had a similar experience a few months ago, only it was me getting the ambulance treatment.

Hope they recover soon and get back to tearing your house apart :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »

Sorry to read of the dual medical problems.  :'(

b*cat tries to sing a happy song for you.  :flower:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:20 PM »

Hope both babies will feel much better soon Kitz  :flower:

Talking of cats my sister had to have her eldest cat put to sleep a few days ago,he was 20.He had been fine apart from constant mouth infections and because of this he was always dribbling onto his chest.Then when my niece came to visit her the other day she picked him up in the garden and a maggot dropped off his chest,on a quick investigation there was hundreds of them under his fur.He must have had a sore and had a fly strike into it.They rushed him to the vets who said the will keep him in to monitor him.The next day the vet said they might be able to clear the infection up but as he is constantly dribbling onto his chest it will always e prone to infection.My sister couldn't understand how she never noticed the fly strike as she constantly grooms him.The vet said it can happen within a few hours.
So the sad decision was taken to put him to sleep,he had a wonderful pampered life,and 20 is really beyond expectations for a cats life span although they do it some circumstances live longer.
She now just has one cat left as she lost the other one late last year.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »

I'm really sorry to hear about the medical problems. I hope they're both better soon. :flower:
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:29:27 PM »

It's very hard to know if your cat is in pain or just being unsociable after a fight with another cat, it's still hard to know even after looking after cats over forty years, what I have noticed is if your cat become's more audible (always meowing and restless) then it's a sign things are not right.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:16:02 AM »

So sorry to hear about your sisters cat UB.  It sounds like he had a good life, but it's still hard when they go over the bridge.

My daughter is doing okay, the sickness is under control as is the pain relief which is making her tired and a bit slurry. She was more niggled about her armas the vein collapsed where the drip was, so they then had difficulty finding another, so it more bothering her that her tonight that she can't use her hand and arm.

Cat's results were back this morning.  The vets hunch was correct and it's 99% certain now that it's accute pancreatits.  There's one more set of results to come back tomorrow morning.   The care he's had has been brilliant and either a vet or nurse rings several times per day with progress reports. 
He's a big hit with the nurses and I was told this afternoon that the vet was walking round with him on her shoulder and she trailing his Drip behind her.

Anyhow I got another call this evening would I like as a test to take him home to see if I could get him to eat something, because he'd turned his nose up at everything including chicken and sardines, plus they thought now he wasn't critical he may be happier with me.   So I have him back home.   He is still very ill, but they want to see how he goes without the IV tonight.   He's been given all his meds SOS he's woozy and I have to take him back tomorrow, but his motor has been going all evening he is so happy to be home.  He still has a long way to go, his liver and kidneys have been affected from dehydration but the should be ok.   As regards to the pancreas it's too early to say, but I have managed to get him to eat a little which is what they were hoping otherwise he has to go back on the IV again.   

Hes been very lucky, if I hadn't called the emergency vet, and if she hadn't had a hunch it was his pancreas and started the correct treatment... Then it's highly probable he wouldn't be here today because it was so touch and go on Sunday night if he'd make it.   He's had the best care possible with a fantastic team looking after him.   Thank god I took out pet plan.  You only have to read the link above to see just how serious it is in a cat, how many don't make it, and the costs involved for the treatment and tests and 24/7 care he needed.   He's nOt out of the woods yet, but we can see daylight  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »

Both of my babies are home today :)
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »

:) :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »

:thumbs:
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 06:31:14 PM »

b*cat looks for a happier face.  :)

And tries to purr another "happy song" for the four of you.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »

Glad they're recovering! :) But make sure Bcat's happy song is at low volume ( or less). Relapses are not required.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 07:42:39 PM »

Just spotted this thread, which strike a chord.

Several decades ago, the cat who looked after me became ill, and underwent emergency surgery for a certain abdominal infection; the local vet had misdiagnosed 'pregnancy' so good job I sought a second opinion!

Anyways it was touch and go, and she stayed in overnight on IV fluids and antibiotics.

That evening I visited the local pub and solemnly recounted these happenings to the landlady.   It became clear she was trying not to giggle, which surprised me as she was a cat lover too.   Eventually she confessed, from my description she had a vision of a hospitalised cat on a drip, lying back in pristine hospital sheets, with pot of flowers and bowl of grapes on the bedside table.   :)

Anyways, glad to hear the Kitz cats seem OK.

Scottiesmum

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 07:31:08 AM »

I'm just catching up with a few topics   ..... :o   so sorry to hear about your daughter and pussy cat.    Hope both are on the good road to recovery.    I read the link to his illness  ..... you certainly have had bad luck there with the statistics showing only 2% of the cat population suffering from this.    A good sign if he is eating,   and  :fingers:   it won't be long before  he's getting back to his  normal intake.

I DO hope that things are on the up now  :flower:    Kate
It's today that matters !

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 12:01:26 PM »

Got his fPLI results back on Thurs

100% Confirmed Acute Pancreatitis (6.4 when it should be < 3.0).
Diabetes = negative.
Triaditis - inconclusive due to the fact that severe dehydration can also cause some of the symptoms he also has with his liver.  ie definite 2 of the 3, but the results on his liver whilst not perfect are borderline.

He is making slow progress and much of the battle is now trying to get him to eat.  His weight is down to 3.1kg from 4kg, but its not unusual for them to not want to eat much after Pancreatitis especially when its also affected their intestines (see triaditis) so he's being treated for that too.  He will be on various injections and tablets for a while yet.  He's just been discharged back to my local vet,  so I will have to take him in there to get his injections & meds every other day.

He's much happier now that hes home and in himself he's not doing too bad for a kitteh that for certainty wouldnt have made it through Sunday night if correct treatment hadnt been started when it was.  :)

>> only 2% of the cat population suffering from this

Just one of those things I guess..  like why do some of us get appendicitis..  or even humans can get pancreatitis.  Its just harder to spot in animals because they cant tell you how much pain they are in nor how nauseous they feel before they end up collapsing.   

>> from my description she had a vision of a hospitalised cat on a drip, lying back in pristine hospital sheets, with pot of flowers and bowl of grapes on the bedside table.

haha - not quite... although they do seem to make things as nice as they can for them dont they.   He was in a large cage lined a rug made from that soft deep fleecy pile stuff and then a soft snuggly blanket on top of that. Litter tray over in a corner.  His bandage was so cute - yellow with tiny cats and dogs printed on it - more like a kiddies bandage :D

-----
Pages: [1] 2