Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Provider claims low demand for fibre broadband  (Read 2443 times)

renluop

• Kitizen

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Provider claims low demand for fibre broadband
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »

You could CC it to Boris !    see http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/389992/5g-to-arrive-in-london-by-2020

If people knew what it would give them I think then you'd see the demand, but FO is associated with speed, NOT freedom from :=  interference, HR joints, crosstalk  etc. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:04:41 PM by JGO »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »

Much of the problem is price and demand..  and in their case customer base.  The media hypes up fibre, and there are consumers who do want faster speeds, such as those more technically minded, business or those with slow adsl speeds.  However there is also a large portion of the population who are quite happy with their existing adsl2+ product which will quite happily cope with online browsing, emails and the odd streaming vid.   TBH I love my FTTC, but in reality if it wasnt for the website I would probably still be fine with my adsl2+ connection.

So here we have Primus who target the budget end of the market with broadband prices from just £1.20 a month and therefore are they in the right position with a consumer base who a willing to increase their monthly payments to £20pm?   The techies and business types are hardly likely to be using Primus anyhow. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »

Just another story with very little substance IMO.

Take up of fibre products may be slow for Primus ( Primus who ?? Thought he was a transformer ??), but it seems to be a constant in my every-day working life. The amount of times we get text messages towards the end of the day, asking for help picking up failing FTTC work is pretty much daily.

This same debate will also be here for all eternity ...... do we need faster speeds ?? The answer will always be defined by individuals personal circs. In other words, there is no definitive answer.
I'm happy as Larry with my FTTC connection, but would I have it if it wasn't free ?? I'm not sure TBH ??   

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:48:44 PM »

I'm also very happy with my FTTC, although I wouldn't say no to more speed  :lol:

Although taking into consideration some work I've recently started, I would very much like more upstream speed. I wouldn't have been able to do this work on adsl2+ since it involves large volume uploading to a certain google owned site known to be full of cats (and other things)  :P

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 12:24:17 AM »

Have myself put FTTC into three category's and it's determined by the line length
High, Medium, and LOW or 80/20 40/10 and 20/2 and with a wee bit of broadband knowledge most people should be able to figure out which category they will fall into before they spend the extra £'s per month for FTTC.

For me a 5x increase in download speed and 15x increase in upload is well worth the extra dosh for FTTC as ADSL was becoming unusable even for me as I class myself as a low Internet usage user.  :) 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »

Below is a cut & pasted quote by our CEO (Gavin Patterson), from a communal staff e-mail regarding our 'Quarter 1 results'.

'I’m pleased with the progress we continue to make on fibre. Our network now covers more than 20m homes and businesses and we’re passing over 70k additional premises per week. Demand remains strong with more than 3m sign-ups. That’s good news for us and for our customers and my thanks go to all BT colleagues involved'.

Just for info.  :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »

For me a 5x increase in download speed and 15x increase in upload is well worth the extra dosh for FTTC as ADSL was becoming unusable even for me as I class myself as a low Internet usage user.  :)
Assuming devil's advocate guise >:D :D

1. If you  were to calculate the time saved in uploading data ( lets say for argument 10% of combined up and down load bandwidth consumed  and combine it with the time saved for the 90% down. What would the overall saving be?

2. Up and downloading is not one's complete time at the computer? Extracting those other tasks, what then is the actual time saving reduced to?

anything