Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Erratic scrolling behaviour with Chrome.  (Read 2643 times)

funkydan

Erratic scrolling behaviour with Chrome.
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:22:40 PM »

Hello.
Since yesterday Chrome has started acting erratically. Scrolling through websites like Facebook, Google and other sites the page seems to freeze for 1 to 3 seconds and then jump further down the page then I intended or jump back up the page. I am using the scroll wheel on my mouse. Also when hovering my cursor over drop down menu buttons the menu will not display or display briefly when I move the cursor away from the button.
I suffer badly from REIN. Yesterday my ISP turned Interleaving on for my connection and raised the interleave level to increase stability.

My question is would the interleaving cause this to happen?

I also installed a critical windows update yesterday so was wondering if that may have caused it.
I have run a virus check and run Malware bytes which returned no infections.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

Any help will be appreciated.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Erratic scrolling behaviour with Chrome.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:37:41 PM »

I dont see how interleaving could cause this problem.

I dont know for sure but it could be a driver issue with your mouse.  There is a known issue with certain logitech mice that can cause a similar problem.  I had to install a patch last year which corrects this issue.  iirc the fix was specifically called "Fix for smooth scrolling issue with chrome & firefox".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

funkydan

Re: Erratic scrolling behaviour with Chrome.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:38:19 PM »

Thanks for the reply Kitz.
It strange as I've also noticed that filling in text boxes on websites also has a delay. For instance when I type the letters appear on the screen 2 seconds after I press keys.
I've not got a Logitec mouse. I just have a standard Dell mouse.
I have found that Chrome has a Smooth Scroller extension that stops the jerky jumping scrolling (it's quite good).
Before installing the extension I tried using IE and the problem wasn't present. It could be something that has happened to Chrome settings.
Later today I'll check to see if there are any updates for mouse drivers to see if that cures it.

anything