Computer Software > Security

Ad-Aware SE (now outdated)

(1/3) > >>

oldfogy:
Hi folks, for the last few days I have been unable to update my Ad-aware SE 1.06.
However since installing the new 2007 free version there has not been a problem, so it looks like support for the older version has now ceased.

To download the 2007 Free version please select the link below.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2007/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlpid=10045910

tuftedduck:
Morning OF.

Yes support for SE officially ceased on 31st. Dec. 2007.

Updates are, however, still available as, according to the Lavasoft forums, the authors "recognised the sentimental attachment that some users had for the SE version".

These updates, however, have to be downloaded from the Lavasoft site and manually installed, no auto updating for it any more.

At the same time, the authors do recommend a change to Ad-Aware 2007, and no doubt the "sentimental" updates for SE will cease in time.

oldfogy:

--- Quote from: tuftedduck on January 27, 2008, 10:26:40 AM ---
These updates, however, have to be downloaded from the Lavasoft site and manually installed

--- End quote ---
At one time there was the option on the main page to select those older updates, but as it appeared to have disappeared, I just assumed that the support had finally finished.

Still it's forced me to stop putting of the inevitable, and I have to admit the new interface is much better, especially with the automatic updates, even with the free version.

tuftedduck:
The option to download the older version updates only appears if and when the updates are available.
Whilst SE in it's heyday, and the newer version were updated on a daily basis,effectively, the old version is now about once per week.
If you hit the wrong day, the option to download isn't there.

I have stopped using the newer version.........it was giving me problems and crashing a lot, so it went.
Pity, SE was a lovely program and it did what it said on the tin.
Will maybe try 2007 again sometime, the problems may have been emanating from somewhere other than itself.

oldfogy:

--- Quote from: tuftedduck on January 27, 2008, 12:30:43 PM ---
I have stopped using the newer version.........it was giving me problems and crashing a lot,

--- End quote ---
What was actually crashing, was it the PC or Ad-Aware itself?
Just curious so as to be able to be prepared.
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version