Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ad-Aware SE (now outdated)  (Read 6958 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Ad-Aware SE (now outdated)
« on: January 27, 2008, 03:13:00 AM »

Hi folks, for the last few days I have been unable to update my Ad-aware SE 1.06.
However since installing the new 2007 free version there has not been a problem, so it looks like support for the older version has now ceased.

To download the 2007 Free version please select the link below.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2007/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlpid=10045910

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Ad-Aware SE (now outdated)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »

Morning OF.

Yes support for SE officially ceased on 31st. Dec. 2007.

Updates are, however, still available as, according to the Lavasoft forums, the authors "recognised the sentimental attachment that some users had for the SE version".

These updates, however, have to be downloaded from the Lavasoft site and manually installed, no auto updating for it any more.

At the same time, the authors do recommend a change to Ad-Aware 2007, and no doubt the "sentimental" updates for SE will cease in time.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:20:45 PM »

These updates, however, have to be downloaded from the Lavasoft site and manually installed

At one time there was the option on the main page to select those older updates, but as it appeared to have disappeared, I just assumed that the support had finally finished.

Still it's forced me to stop putting of the inevitable, and I have to admit the new interface is much better, especially with the automatic updates, even with the free version.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:30:43 PM »

The option to download the older version updates only appears if and when the updates are available.
Whilst SE in it's heyday, and the newer version were updated on a daily basis,effectively, the old version is now about once per week.
If you hit the wrong day, the option to download isn't there.

I have stopped using the newer version.........it was giving me problems and crashing a lot, so it went.
Pity, SE was a lovely program and it did what it said on the tin.
Will maybe try 2007 again sometime, the problems may have been emanating from somewhere other than itself.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 01:08:04 PM »

I have stopped using the newer version.........it was giving me problems and crashing a lot,

What was actually crashing, was it the PC or Ad-Aware itself?
Just curious so as to be able to be prepared.
Thanks

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »

Sorry, OF, should have made myself clearer.

Ad-Aware 2007 was crashing whilst trying to retrieve updates. It would connect to the server then go into sulk and I had to shut it down using taskmanager. That was happening perhaps one attempt in three.

Just noticed, on the Lavasoft site, up in the top right hand corner of the home page are two green "download now" buttons. Click on the left hand "2007" button, and that prog offers to download, but click on the right hand "SE" button, and the update (if any) and not the prog will offer to download.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »

Thanks, that bit of info may come in handy for someone.
But I will need to leave it a couple of days until it needs to update to be able to watch for any problem.

I will just stay with the 2007 version (which I had actually tried once before without any problems) but when I re-Ghosted the PC at some stage or other, it reverted back to the older version, "and I just left it" :angel:

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 04:52:09 PM »

I had the same problems as you TD ..and it put me off using it  ..anyway I have now downloaded from your link OF  .... just pondering whether to be brave enough to install it !!  ;D    I have used the old version for years without any problems.    Ah well, progress  !!! :-X

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 06:43:48 PM »

Even the older version had it's fair share of problems, it all depended if you just happened to download a faulty update (of which there were a few).

Just make sure you activate the "Backup Definitions File" which is found in "Web Update > Settings"
Should a problem occur, just restore the backup file, wait 24 - 48 hours then try downloading the update again.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 08:28:36 AM »

I more-or-less stopped using Adaware SE in favour of SuperAntispyware some time ago now.

All I ever find (with any of the spyware scanners) is cookies anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »

tbh at one time I used a combo of Adaware and Spybot..  but Spybot seems on the ball with most things and I cant recall anything lately that Adaware would flag up that Spybot didnt.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker